• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is TE the bigger need, or not?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't hate the Chris Perry pick. Dude was a stud RB at Michigan. At the time, RB's were still going in the 1st round. There's a big difference between guys like Perry and Eifert, IMO, who just didn't pan out because of injury and such and guys like Fisher and Cedric who somehow made more than a few teams think they were worth a 1st and 2nd round pick. I mean....yikes.

Hindsight is 20/20 observation on my part but what kills most about the Perry pick is they traded down 2 spots with the Rams who ended up picking Steven Jackson. That 04-07 offense would have been unstoppable with Jackson, Rudi, Chad, TJ, Henry and pre-elbow injury Palmer.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Plus, before Uzomah suffered a season-ending torn Achilles in the second game of last season, Burrow had already thrown to him 11 times in seven-and-a-half quarters. That would have worked out to 88 targets for the season, the most to a Bengals tight end since Dalton went to Jermaine Gresham 94 times in 2012.

As long as we wind up with Pitts, Chase or Sewell I will be happy.

The further along we go in the draft process the more I think those are the only potential picks

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is 20/20 observation on my part but what kills most about the Perry pick is they traded down 2 spots with the Rams who ended up picking Steven Jackson. That 04-07 offense would have been unstoppable with Jackson, Rudi, Chad, TJ, Henry and pre-elbow injury Palmer.
Agreed.... But to be fair, I thought Perry was every bit the prospect that Jackson was. Perry was a good receiver and he was a great runner at Michigan. I think he just got worn down. I mean, the dude carried it 51 times once in a college game. That is borderline criminal. Good ole Lloyd.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed.... But to be fair, I thought Perry was every bit the prospect that Jackson was. Perry was a good receiver and he was a great runner at Michigan. I think he just got worn down. I mean, the dude carried it 51 times once in a college game. That is borderline criminal. Good ole Lloyd.

I got the rationale for it at the time. They probably had them as similarly graded players with Perry fitting the niche of an explosive pass catching RB to complement Rudi for a few year before eventually taking over the job. Its just Jackson ended up being so good. Other than LT and Peterson he might have been the best RB of that era.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, hard to tell at the time. We got Chris Perry and Stacy Andrews out of moving down two spots, who did okay while here on the offensive line. I think Andrews played like 4 or 5 years with the Bengals.

As you said in hindsight, it would have been nice to have Jackson instead, but I was not upset with the pick at the time.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like chase. pitts and sewell will all be there at #5

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, how you figure?
I think it's probably due to quite a few Mocks have 3 QB's going in the first 4, with Miami taking a WR, likely. Though, they could switch it up and take Sewell, or even trade back for a team who really wants that QB and doesn't want to risk the #4 team taking one.

There are going to be options at 5, there is no doubt. The question is: Will the Bengals have set themselves up in F/A to be flexible with who is available, or will the roll the dice in F/A and risk getting locked into a player that is a need and risk watching that player fly off the board.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how other teams evaluate them. if a team really wants one of them, they will trade up.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes 3 QBs and smith

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fields should get plenty interest

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really shouoe consider pitts.

a bit of assumption...but burrow is good no worse for the wear. Mixon comes back fairly good as well.

boyd+higgins, a dynamic running back, plug in tate or ross at the 3...

coupled with pitts who is just such a match and can do it all.

in taylors system.....

thats one heck of a lineup...pick
Your poison, but you cant defend that....all young as well

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all we need to do is fix the worst OL in the league and we can do it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all we need to do is fix the worst OL in the league and we can do it.
It gets better just by subtraction. Get rid of Hart and just get a good LG and almost anyone you throw in at RT will be better. Granted, be nice to have a quality player. But is is said the Rams would sell their RT cheap.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really shouoe consider pitts.

a bit of assumption...but burrow is good no worse for the wear. Mixon comes back fairly good as well.

boyd+higgins, a dynamic running back, plug in tate or ross at the 3...

coupled with pitts who is just such a match and can do it all.

in taylors system.....

thats one heck of a lineup...pick
Your poison, but you cant defend that....all young as well
Between Sewell and Pitts for me. All depends on what they do with the OL in F/A.

Land a solid LT/RT and/or a OG - then that really opens them up to take Pitts as this draft is deep with OL.

But OL has to be addressed. Burrow can have all the weapons in the world, but he can't throw to them from his back - or the hospital.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets better just by subtraction. Get rid of Hart and just get a good LG and almost anyone you throw in at RT will be better. Granted, be nice to have a quality player. But is is said the Rams would sell their RT cheap.
You really want a year of Fred Johnson starting at RT? I get what you are saying, but the line issues are deeper than just 1, or even 2, guys.

They need no less than 2 new starters on the OL, preferably 3 - and then depth to build. If they signed 2 starting OL in F/A I would still target no less than 2 more OL in the draft and still look for a veteran backup to add, or two.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between Sewell and Pitts for me. All depends on what they do with the OL in F/A.

Land a solid LT/RT and/or a OG - then that really opens them up to take Pitts as this draft is deep with OL.

But OL has to be addressed. Burrow can have all the weapons in the world, but he can't throw to them from his back - or the hospital.
I honestly forgot how bad your line is(sorry). Pitts is so dynamic. But you really need to fix that line. Id lean tackle and forget it for the next decade pending injury.

but pitts sure would be fun.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly forgot how bad your line is(sorry). Pitts is so dynamic. But you really need to fix that line. Id lean tackle and forget it for the next decade pending injury.

but pitts sure would be fun.
I agree. If Sewell is gone, I'd take Pitts over anyone else there.

I'd also target a F/A OT and OG. That way the draft really opens up. They can still take Pitts, land a top OT/OG in Round 2, and still find a potential starter at OT/OG in round 2 or 3.

IF ever there were a year for the Bengals to take advantage of their cap space and savings, this would be it. Other teams are going to be cutting it close with the cap this year. Bengals also can still shed about another $10MM in contracts - so they have plenty of room.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he could just change his first name to "Earl" I'd say we pick him up no matter what. he'll just have to eat a lot of 3rd and philly McD like Ocho did so he can block for Joe occasionally.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If Sewell is gone, I'd take Pitts over anyone else there.

I'd also target a F/A OT and OG. That way the draft really opens up. They can still take Pitts, land a top OT/OG in Round 2, and still find a potential starter at OT/OG in round 2 or 3.

IF ever there were a year for the Bengals to take advantage of their cap space and savings, this would be it. Other teams are going to be cutting it close with the cap this year. Bengals also can still shed about another $10MM in contracts - so they have plenty of room.
Yourre spot on. I would agree fully with that. For the steelers sake, i hope it doesnt happen :suds: