• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is TE the bigger need, or not?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, before Uzomah suffered a season-ending torn Achilles in the second game of last season, Burrow had already thrown to him 11 times in seven-and-a-half quarters. That would have worked out to 88 targets for the season, the most to a Bengals tight end since Dalton went to Jermaine Gresham 94 times in 2012.

Ummm...Burrow obviously likes to throw to TE's.

The oline needs fixed but it is quite obvious that Burrow uses his TE as a safety blanket for certain mismatches in coverage.

Pitt could exploit the hell out of that shit.

As long as we wind up with Pitts, Chase or Sewell I will be happy.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, just gotta wait and see. a lot of the times what the bengals front office decides is good is a a complete surprise to us.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, just gotta wait and see. a lot of the times what the bengals front office decides is good is a a complete surprise to us.
Yeah, offensive line is still most important, but I see the desire for a top flight TE pass catcher like Pitts. He, along with Boyd, Higs and Tate could make the offense very explosive. Especially if we do shore up the offensive line. Give Mixon more room to make a difference.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, before Uzomah suffered a season-ending torn Achilles in the second game of last season, Burrow had already thrown to him 11 times in seven-and-a-half quarters. That would have worked out to 88 targets for the season, the most to a Bengals tight end since Dalton went to Jermaine Gresham 94 times in 2012.

Ummm...Burrow obviously likes to throw to TE's.

The oline needs fixed but it is quite obvious that Burrow uses his TE as a safety blanket for certain mismatches in coverage.

Pitt could exploit the hell out of that shit.

As long as we wind up with Pitts, Chase or Sewell I will be happy.
I don't know if it is the bigger need, but I think it has the chance to add the most impactful talent to a position group based on what is currently on the roster.

OL is already well stated. This has to be, at least, partially addressed in F/A. We are all aware of that.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already stated in a previous thread that Teven Jenkins has been a numbers beast the last 3 years, but not getting the same praise that a lot of tackles are getting in this draft. He could be a sleeping beast in the 2nd round.

So hypothetically, we draft Pitts #5 overall, would it be worth giving up one of our mid round picks, say 4th or 5th to move up into the #31 or #32 slot in the draft to nab Teven Jenkins, OT, and be able to use a 5th year option on him? Granted, we lose a mid round pick, but is the 5th year option more valuable on a potential stud RT than acquiring a 4th or 5th round pick that is a crap shoot? Granted, there is a risk on Jenkins as well, because you have no idea how he will turn out. Just thinking out loud here. He is a true RT also.

Not ideal, but would the board be "okay" with just a Thuney FA upgrade with a Jenkins upgrade at our two worst positions on the team? LG and RT?

Now you can throw Pitts on that weapons list as well with this draft.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already stated in a previous thread that Teven Jenkins has been a numbers beast the last 3 years, but not getting the same praise that a lot of tackles are getting in this draft. He could be a sleeping beast in the 2nd round.

So hypothetically, we draft Pitts #5 overall, would it be worth giving up one of our mid round picks, say 4th or 5th to move up into the #31 or #32 slot in the draft to nab Teven Jenkins, OT, and be able to use a 5th year option on him? Granted, we lose a mid round pick, but is the 5th year option more valuable on a potential stud RT than acquiring a 4th or 5th round pick that is a crap shoot? Granted, there is a risk on Jenkins as well, because you have no idea how he will turn out. Just thinking out loud here. He is a true RT also.

Not ideal, but would the board be "okay" with just a Thuney FA upgrade with a Jenkins upgrade at our two worst positions on the team? LG and RT?

Now you can throw Pitts on that weapons list as well with this draft.
I mean, my approach would be to absolutely sign a T and G in F/A. The reason being is - you can't trust the draft to fall in your favor. That's how you end up reaching.

I mean, if they fail to sign an OT and land Thuney, for example, and Sewell is there at 5...I think he's the pick. As much as I like Pitts - Burrow can't throw from the ground. You also can't assume that your guy will be there either late 1st or early 2nd. You may hope he is...but that's how you get burnt.

Now, if the plays out the way you state - then yes, that would be fine. Sewell is gone, Pitts is the choice, and then if Jenkins is there late in the 1st round, you can call around to see if anyone is willing to move back. Chances are, if someone trades out of the 1st round, though, it may take more than just a 4th or a 5th. Not sure I'd trade a 3rd. Value chart says it is doable, though, with a 4th - so...?????

I'm also high on Hudson from UC, as I've mentioned on here, and he could likely be had late in the 2nd or early 3rd. He's still got some growing to do, and is just scratching his potential - but the kid can flat out play. His arms are a bit short, but you can't teach his explosiveness, his technique, or his ability to move his fee the way he does and move laterally. Once he adds another 10-15lbs, he's going to be an anchor.

Lots of options in the draft for a lot of things the Bengals could use - but for me - if you really want to be sure you've protected your most important asset in Joe Burrow - you do not come out of F/A without a OT and an OG.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, my approach would be to absolutely sign a T and G in F/A. The reason being is - you can't trust the draft to fall in your favor. That's how you end up reaching.

I mean, if they fail to sign an OT and land Thuney, for example, and Sewell is there at 5...I think he's the pick. As much as I like Pitts - Burrow can't throw from the ground. You also can't assume that your guy will be there either late 1st or early 2nd. You may hope he is...but that's how you get burnt.

Now, if the plays out the way you state - then yes, that would be fine. Sewell is gone, Pitts is the choice, and then if Jenkins is there late in the 1st round, you can call around to see if anyone is willing to move back. Chances are, if someone trades out of the 1st round, though, it may take more than just a 4th or a 5th. Not sure I'd trade a 3rd. Value chart says it is doable, though, with a 4th - so...?????

I'm also high on Hudson from UC, as I've mentioned on here, and he could likely be had late in the 2nd or early 3rd. He's still got some growing to do, and is just scratching his potential - but the kid can flat out play. His arms are a bit short, but you can't teach his explosiveness, his technique, or his ability to move his fee the way he does and move laterally. Once he adds another 10-15lbs, he's going to be an anchor.

Lots of options in the draft for a lot of things the Bengals could use - but for me - if you really want to be sure you've protected your most important asset in Joe Burrow - you do not come out of F/A without a OT and an OG.

Okay, let's say this works out...

The Bengals sign LG Thuney. We can all agree that is a good signing and important to the line.

Then Bengals trade a 5th round pick to the Rams for Rob Havenstein, RT.

Can the Bengals now afford Pitts or Chase in the 1st round with sights set on Jenkins in the 2nd round if he falls to them?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 Overall Prospect Pitts is a long, lean tight end prospect with excellent speed, ball skills and production. He has lined up inline, flexed in the slot and split out wide. He runs routes like a wideout. The former Gator has burst off the line, sets up defenders and explodes out of the break point. He beat upper-echelon SEC cornerbacks on a weekly basis. He builds speed to separate down the seam and tracks the ball naturally down the field. Pitts has an enormous catch radius. He uses his speed to pile up yards after the catch. He showed tremendous improvement as a blocker in 2020. He fits up, doing his best to wrestle and stay attached. He will fall off at times, but the effort is there. Overall, Pitts is a unique talent with the ability to take over a game. He is the definition of a mismatch player.

#9 Overall Prospect Sewell has a huge frame, quick feet and strong hands. He has the foot quickness to kick out and cover up speed rushers in the passing game. His hands can get too wide at times, which allows defenders to get underneath him (see: matchup against then-Auburn DT Derrick Brown in 2019). However, he stays connected and usually wins when he locks on. He has the ability to bend and drop his weight, but he gets too upright on occasion. Sewell does some special things in the run game. He can uproot defenders over his nose and he is explosive as a puller. The more I watched, I did have some concerns about his balance. He lunges at times and ends up on the ground more often than you'd like. Overall, Sewell isn't the most polished blocker in this class, but he does offer the most upside.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, let's say this works out...

The Bengals sign LG Thuney. We can all agree that is a good signing and important to the line.

Then Bengals trade a 5th round pick to the Rams for Rob Havenstein, RT.

Can the Bengals now afford Pitts or Chase in the 1st round with sights set on Jenkins in the 2nd round if he falls to them?
That's fine, but if Jenkins is gone - I'd trade back in the 2nd round and grab Hudson, who could play LT sooner than later, and maybe look to move Jonah to RT more long-term, and then you'd have Havenstein around to help groom both of them. Or, you can kick Jonah inside - I've seen quite a bit of chatter on that should the Bengals land a LT and a RT either through F/A or draft combo.

It would also pick up an additional 3rd or 4th rounder to help with depth.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always want the great TE. or skill players. especially the TE though. 1st downs short routes . Yeh I understand the need for a fat guy too. I would extremely enjoy Pitts tho

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a logical pick for a team that is not aggressive in free agency and got it's best player injured, couldn't block for it's running backs, and dinged up the 2 backup QBs that finished the season.

we will see.

knowing the Bengals, they will probably pick someone like Chris Perry again.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a logical pick for a team that is not aggressive in free agency and got it's best player injured, couldn't block for it's running backs, and dinged up the 2 backup QBs that finished the season.

we will see.

knowing the Bengals, they will probably pick someone like Chris Perry again.
I feel pretty confident they will not do this, especially with Mixon under contract for 4 more years at a premium price, along with Bernard, Perine and Williams on the depth chart.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if they did...

the explanation would be, "The Bengals, being the Bengals, again, did something no one would expect, but should have expected, but not really."

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate the Chris Perry pick. Dude was a stud RB at Michigan. At the time, RB's were still going in the 1st round. There's a big difference between guys like Perry and Eifert, IMO, who just didn't pan out because of injury and such and guys like Fisher and Cedric who somehow made more than a few teams think they were worth a 1st and 2nd round pick. I mean....yikes.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm about 90% sure the pick will be Sewell.

but it would be fun if we could take care of the line somehow and draft a weapon worthy of making a playoff run.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm about 90% sure the pick will be Sewell.

but it would be fun if we could take care of the line somehow and draft a weapon worthy of making a playoff run.
Agreed. If they could land a OT and OG - that opens up the world for them at the draft, including being able to move down from 5 depending on who is still on the board.

Imagine getting a LT and Thuney at OG. You can grab Pitts in round 1 (or Chase) and suddenly that OL is looking solid, and the offense gets a major jolt from the TE position.

You can still land a solid WR in round 2 and/or a solid OG - and could probably trade down from there and still grab both netting an extra late 3rd or early 4th.

There's good DL depth as well from 2-4.

If the Bengals were going to target 3 spots to spend some money on (outside of their own F/A) I would look at OT/OG/DL (either help at the edge or DT).

I think the draft is good enough at the OL and DL positions that you can get a solid day 1 contributor from 2-4.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rooting for our soccer team as well.

they signed a good young goal scorer, but they still haven't upgraded their attacking midfielder. it's like having a great wide receiver and continuing to run ryan finley out there to get him chances to score... it could happen, but chances are it won't be as often as it should.

Cincy sports...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. If they could land a OT and OG - that opens up the world for them at the draft, including being able to move down from 5 depending on who is still on the board.

Imagine getting a LT and Thuney at OG. You can grab Pitts in round 1 (or Chase) and suddenly that OL is looking solid, and the offense gets a major jolt from the TE position.

You can still land a solid WR in round 2 and/or a solid OG - and could probably trade down from there and still grab both netting an extra late 3rd or early 4th.

There's good DL depth as well from 2-4.

If the Bengals were going to target 3 spots to spend some money on (outside of their own F/A) I would look at OT/OG/DL (either help at the edge or DT).

I think the draft is good enough at the OL and DL positions that you can get a solid day 1 contributor from 2-4.
I would like to see us get a good OL in FA and Lavonte David LB signed. If we are moving to a 3-4 defense, we need another really good solid veteran LB and David being a team Captain for at least 5 years is the best candidate for our defense to help QB it. Then draft Pitts, and draft Jenkins in round 2, maybe trade up to bottom of 1st to help secure him and get an extra controllable year out of him.

That would be ideal for me.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Perry also wasn't an injury-prone guy before turning pro. I think his issue was that Lloyd Carr ran his legs off his senior year. He was like one of those guys you get from Nick Saban now.... Damaged goods. I liked the pick though - Rudy was due a new contract and we had to plan for when he was finished. Brat's offense really needed a premium running back.... Those years that Rudy tailed off (and Perry busted) were pretty tough on the offense until Cedric Benson fell in our laps.