• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is TE the bigger need, or not?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yourre spot on. I would agree fully with that. For the steelers sake, i hope it doesnt happen :suds:

Well, better the Bengals win the AFCN than the Browns or Ravens, right?! LOL

Looking at Pittsburgh for a moment:

I know it's hard to make those calls - but, IMO, I think the team should have moved on. Ripped the band-aid off this year, then knowing the cap should be getting back north of $200M next year and beyond with the new deal - just re-sign the core guys, focus on drafting and signing some young guys - and then look to get back into the game in 2022-2023.

I just don't know if Ben returning really is worth it. They have to push a lot of money down the road with contracts (not just his, but re-signing their own F/A plus any F/A out there) and even then, I don't know that they can put enough around Ben to make a Super Bowl run. Playoffs - sure. But for a franchise that talks about winning Super Bowls, settling for just a mere playoff to keep Ben around 1 more year and keep him happy doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Not to mention - last year, I saw a guy that was clearly on the back 9 of his career. His arm just doesn't really go anymore, and IMO - the thing that made him so dangerous was his ability to move and extend plays and chuck the ball. He can't move, the OL hasn't played well in nearly 2 years, and with his arm all but shot....I'm just not sold on it being the right move.

I'd take your thoughts on this.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, better the Bengals win the AFCN than the Browns or Ravens, right?! LOL

ha, yeah , i guess you're right, definitely not the ravens. I confess, im a baker mayfield fan, so....browns aren't all bad...
Looking at Pittsburgh for a moment:

I know it's hard to make those calls - but, IMO, I think the team should have moved on. Ripped the band-aid off this year, then knowing the cap should be getting back north of $200M next year and beyond with the new deal - just re-sign the core guys, focus on drafting and signing some young guys - and then look to get back into the game in 2022-2023.
Meh, its hard. They still think they have a top notch D. Which means they think they can compete. The D wasn't the issue last year, the Offense let them down. Especially the O-line, and some of the schemes. So Im assuming the rationale is, "ok one year, whose the best shot we have or can get at qb? " Its NOT MASON. So a FA or Ben? Ben......I get it ..then do the rebuild, essentially a definitely one last hurrah. Just pressed with the cap, and gonna lose some guys, so not sure that hurrah is realistic. But whatever, been on top for a long long time, a few down years is evident.
I just don't know if Ben returning really is worth it. They have to push a lot of money down the road with contracts (not just his, but re-signing their own F/A plus any F/A out there) and even then, I don't know that they can put enough around Ben to make a Super Bowl run. Playoffs - sure. But for a franchise that talks about winning Super Bowls, settling for just a mere playoff to keep Ben around 1 more year and keep him happy doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.
Flat out, cuts and letting guys walk is gonna happen. We just can't keep them all. There is enough talent there offensively, and young, that if they can maintain the D some, and fix the line, then perhaps a "shot". We stunk down the stretch. Schemes, ben's dead arm, bad preparation etc.

We lost to the WFT, not a good loss, but they were a really tough team. We lost to the bills, when the bills were the hottest team in the league. We were never really "in it", down 23-7 at one point, but we weren't blown out losing 26-15, and we played awful. Losing to you guys, inexcusable, period. Beat the colts. The playoff loss was something else, but being down what 28-0 and 35-7, ending 48-37 wasnt turrible....just some really poor execution and coaching. Guess really looking at it, we were far away, but some better preparation may have really turned the tables.
Not to mention - last year, I saw a guy that was clearly on the back 9 of his career. His arm just doesn't really go anymore, and IMO - the thing that made him so dangerous was his ability to move and extend plays and chuck the ball. He can't move, the OL hasn't played well in nearly 2 years, and with his arm all but shot....I'm just not sold on it being the right move.

I'd take your thoughts on this.
Ben's tough. The first half of the year, he was slinging it, the zip was there and more. Then his arm died. Heard nothing of pain. Thats a tough injury. At his age, thats not crazy, for as much as they tossed the ball last year. Assuming there was no additional injury, its not crazy to assume that his arm does NOT tire this year. Hes not as nimble no, but he still can direct things, and make something out of nothing, not vintage ben, but definitely the best we could get. Im torn, i see this blowing up in our face, but , i get it. If that makes any sense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha, yeah , i guess you're right, definitely not the ravens. I confess, im a baker mayfield fan, so....browns aren't all bad...

Meh, its hard. They still think they have a top notch D. Which means they think they can compete. The D wasn't the issue last year, the Offense let them down. Especially the O-line, and some of the schemes. So Im assuming the rationale is, "ok one year, whose the best shot we have or can get at qb? " Its NOT MASON. So a FA or Ben? Ben......I get it ..then do the rebuild, essentially a definitely one last hurrah. Just pressed with the cap, and gonna lose some guys, so not sure that hurrah is realistic. But whatever, been on top for a long long time, a few down years is evident.

Flat out, cuts and letting guys walk is gonna happen. We just can't keep them all. There is enough talent there offensively, and young, that if they can maintain the D some, and fix the line, then perhaps a "shot". We stunk down the stretch. Schemes, ben's dead arm, bad preparation etc.

We lost to the WFT, not a good loss, but they were a really tough team. We lost to the bills, when the bills were the hottest team in the league. We were never really "in it", down 23-7 at one point, but we weren't blown out losing 26-15, and we played awful. Losing to you guys, inexcusable, period. Beat the colts. The playoff loss was something else, but being down what 28-0 and 35-7, ending 48-37 wasnt turrible....just some really poor execution and coaching. Guess really looking at it, we were far away, but some better preparation may have really turned the tables.

Ben's tough. The first half of the year, he was slinging it, the zip was there and more. Then his arm died. Heard nothing of pain. Thats a tough injury. At his age, thats not crazy, for as much as they tossed the ball last year. Assuming there was no additional injury, its not crazy to assume that his arm does NOT tire this year. Hes not as nimble no, but he still can direct things, and make something out of nothing, not vintage ben, but definitely the best we could get. Im torn, i see this blowing up in our face, but , i get it. If that makes any sense.
I get it. All reasoned responses. Ben at, even, 80% is likely better than what you could have gotten - and if you can retain enough you have a shot. That's really all you can ask for.

Only downside is if it blows up - you do waste a year of some of the younger guys and delay the rebuild a by probably a year. It's not a terrible scenario - just surprising because of how Pitt typically has dealt with these things in the past with players - and 99% of them are cut, traded, or retire. Going to be an interesting season, for sure.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. All reasoned responses. Ben at, even, 80% is likely better than what you could have gotten - and if you can retain enough you have a shot. That's really all you can ask for.

but do we really? Im skeptical.... a great d always keeps you in it...but lets be real ... we played some Bad teams and shoulda lost some more games last year.

Only downside is if it blows up - you do waste a year of some of the younger guys and delay the rebuild a by probably a year. It's not a terrible scenario - just surprising because of how Pitt typically has dealt with these things in the past with players - and 99% of them are cut, traded, or retire. Going to be an interesting season, for sure.
Pitt does move on you are right. What pittsburgh doesn't do, is mail it in. They think they can compete, almost every year. If they think they can, theyre gonnna go for it. They dont like rebuilds, they like a continuous fluid reload, if that makes sense. Eventually, you have to have a crap season.