• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Roger Goodell's Job In Jeporady??

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess now NFL players can break the rules and not be held accountable for their actions.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess now NFL players can break the rules and not be held accountable for their actions.

NFL players break the rules on just about every play in games. The only times they are held accountable is if they are caught doing it.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Goodells job is to make his bosses money

He is a master at that

He is getting paid to babysit Brady* cheating or Ray Rice pummeling women

This whole idea of Goodell being the savior who makes the NFL all the money is amusing. The NFL could appoint a monkey in a bikini as commish and they still would make boatloads of money NFL IS THAT POPULAR. WORLDWIDE.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they offered you $40 million a year to do the job, would you turn it down? I wouldn't think you would, and neither did RG.

Of course not. But honestly? I think some self review is in order by Goodell.

I would if only because I would want to try and do a good job!

Losing almost every case in court over the past few years should be a wakeup call for any CEO.

Eaglesnuts and I could split the 40 million and probably do almost as good a job as Goodell.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing almost every case in court over the past few years should be a wakeup call for any CEO.

Eaglesnuts and I could split the 40 million and probably do almost as good a job as Goodell.

From what I've heard about Goodell, he is simply just a puppet of the owners. He does what the owners want him to do in big situations like this. Under his leadership the NFL is more profitable than it has ever been, and more popular than it has ever been....in spite of the bad press of the past 3-4 years (Replacement Refs, Ray Rice, Deflategate, etc.).

Why does anyone think that Goodell hasn't done a great job? The owners certainly don't, and like I said before, unless RG does something highly illegal (or goes to jail), says a racial slur/sexist slur/homophobic slur, or simply pisses off the owners, RG has a job for a LONG time IMO. He has simply been too successful to even consider firing him for losing a court case against Tom Brady. A court case that would not have happened if the owners didn't want it to happen.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've heard about Goodell, he is simply just a puppet of the owners. He does what the owners want him to do in big situations like this. Under his leadership the NFL is more profitable than it has ever been, and more popular than it has ever been....in spite of the bad press of the past 3-4 years (Replacement Refs, Ray Rice, Deflategate, etc.).

Why does anyone think that Goodell hasn't done a great job? The owners certainly don't, and like I said before, unless RG does something highly illegal (or goes to jail), says a racial slur/sexist slur/homophobic slur, or simply pisses off the owners, RG has a job for a LONG time IMO. He has simply been too successful to even consider firing him for losing a court case against Tom Brady. A court case that would not have happened if the owners didn't want it to happen.

Much of that is because the NFL is a money machine. If Goodell is such a puppet, then I think the NFL could get more for their money.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much of that is because the NFL is a money machine. If Goodell is such a puppet, then I think the NFL could get more for their money.

Ok, they are money machine, because of the way they have run their company. Advertising, endorsement deals, etc. You act like Goodell and company just show up to work and do nothing, or worse, that the NFL makes billions more each year in spite of Goodell.

Believe me, the NFL is getting a GREAT return on their investment in Goodell. It is easily the most profitable sport in America right now, and it's not even close. It hasn't always been that way, and Goodell has been in charge during the BIG growth years.

When it comes to high profile cases like the Brady one, the owners are the ones driving the bus. They want the Pats, and Brady's head on platter. They shouldn't have pushed so hard for it. Now they all look like idiots. Should have compromised early in the process, and done so quietly IMO.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at the cases they have lost though.

Everyone that I can think of they lost before today was the domestic assault case. They knew they were going to lose those and were willing to pay the lawyer fees as a way to save face on looking too soft on domestic violence before that.

Today is the first important case they have lost in a decade. And IMO it's not going to stand on appeal anyway as it was just a case of a judge going way too far.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, they are money machine, because of the way they have run their company. Advertising, endorsement deals, etc. You act like Goodell and company just show up to work and do nothing, or worse, that the NFL makes billions more each year in spite of Goodell.

Yeah kinda.. I'm sure Goodell comes to work everyday but I'm saying that they could find a suitable replacement much easier than you think. Plus some of the owners, like Kraft, Jerry Jones and others are actually pretty good businessmen. You don't think that helps?

He's been mismanaging the legal issues for years. At least, maybe he needs to get some better people..

Believe me, the NFL is getting a GREAT return on their investment in Goodell. It is easily the most profitable sport in America right now, and it's not even close. It hasn't always been that way, and Goodell has been in charge during the BIG growth years.

It's been on a sharp, steady rise for years. Goodell was likely the recipient of that trend.

When it comes to high profile cases like the Brady one, the owners are the ones driving the bus. They want the Pats, and Brady's head on platter. They shouldn't have pushed so hard for it. Now they all look like idiots. Should have compromised early in the process, and done so quietly IMO.

Let's see if cooler head prevail now that they've been thoroughly embarrassed in one of the more celebrated legal case in recent years.

Court of Public Opinion indeed.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What has he done thatxs made money? Did he invent fantasy football, Red Zone, High Def, new stadiums...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* that *

Do you have spell check?
Good one spelling nazi. Actually I don't bother since I'm typing on my tablet. But once again thanks for your insightful thoughts

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole idea of Goodell being the savior who makes the NFL all the money is amusing. The NFL could appoint a monkey in a bikini as commish and they still would make boatloads of money NFL IS THAT POPULAR. WORLDWIDE.

He saved owners millions on the concussion settlement, and each owner was just issued the largest ever per share, licensing check, in history.........

Maybe a monkey could do the same, I have a feeling that owners arent in a rush to find out

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell isn't going anywhere. We've seen how many owners come out in support of Goodell during this whole investigation. Owner's love a commissioner who tries to knock down the Patriots.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good one spelling nazi. Actually I don't bother since I'm typing on my tablet. But once again thanks for your insightful thoughts
I'm here to help... :suds:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the cases they have lost though.

Everyone that I can think of they lost before today was the domestic assault case. They knew they were going to lose those and were willing to pay the lawyer fees as a way to save face on looking too soft on domestic violence before that.

Today is the first important case they have lost in a decade. And IMO it's not going to stand on appeal anyway as it was just a case of a judge going way too far.

They've lost either in the courts or by independent arbitrators.. Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice and Brady were court losses. Arbitrators have thrown out or reduced sentences in Bountygate and Hardy.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He saved owners millions on the concussion settlement, and each owner was just issued the largest ever per share, licensing check, in history.........

Maybe a monkey could do the same, I have a feeling that owners arent in a rush to find out
Goodell is safe but the league needs a better policy on administering punishment.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The point is that any efficient manager can do Goodell's day-to-day job. He is not a miracle worker, leader or money machine; he basically takes orders from the franchise owners and implements them to the best of his capabilities, which each day prove to be less than stellar. You should not exclude common sense and objectivity, to take the owners on a joy ride to try and prove you're the "new sheriff in town." Quite frankly, Goodell has done a mediocre job and he's going to have to crawl his sorry ass out of this deflategate embroglio. He will not last long, because he has proven that his work is shoddy, at best.