• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Nebraska having buyers remorse?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shatel: Under Delany, Big Ten football takes a backseat - Omaha.com: Big Red Today - Huskers

Shatel: Under Delany, Big Ten football takes a backseat

By Tom Shatel / World-Herald columnist

Four years ago, Jim Delany walked through that door. And everything changed.
Ah, memories. The Big 12 meetings in Kansas City. The story floated out of Texas, about the six schools bolting for the Pac-12. Panic. Urgency. A regents meeting. Then a press conference at the NU student center.
Then the man walked through the door, offering refuge, offering a future. Stability.
Interesting word, stability.
Nebraska was leaving the chaos of the Big 12 as much as it was joining the safe haven of the Big Ten. But what exactly was it joining?
An expansion to Maryland and Rutgers. A league office in New York City. A basketball tourney in Washington, D.C. Football schedules with more Purdue and Illinois and less Michigan and Ohio State.
This isn’t the Big Ten that Harvey Perlman signed me up for.
The NU chancellor couldn’t have known what was coming (and certainly it wouldn’t have mattered — there’s a bigger picture here). The vision belongs to one man. The Big Ten’s boss.
You’ll have to pardon us. Here in Nebraska, we’re not used to proactive commissioners. Not since the days of Wayne Duke and Chuck Neinas in the 1970s Big Eight, anyway. Nebraskans are used to being at the front of the line of change, blazing the trail.
Clearly, in this Big Ten, Nebraska is along for the ride.
Where are we going, boss?
Delany is a brilliant man. A visionary. I don’t know if he plays chess, but the majority of his moves seem to set up another down the line.
Two decades ago, Delany added Penn State. Some wondered why. It was an 11th member. It was awkward. The Nittanys were out there on an eastern island, with no travel partners.
Now it appears that was Delany’s first move to opening the eastern seaboard to the Big Ten. Penn State had long been asking for some East Coast neighbors. Having PSU, the flagship of eastern football, would be an attraction to landing future East Coast members.
It wouldn’t be a shock if these moves — taking the Big Ten into Madison Square Garden, holding a basketball tournament on the East Coast, all these things — have been on the planning board in Delany’s mind for a long, long time.
But what’s the vision? If there’s a future checkmate on this chess board, what is it?
What is the Big Ten, in Delany’s mind?
Is it Midwest? Or is it East Coast?
Is it a basketball league? How much does football matter?
Is it a money league? A TV league?
I saw an interview with Delany on BTN last week from NYC. Delany is a son of New Jersey, a former North Carolina basketball player. It’s no stretch to say he’s East Coast and he’s a hoops guy.
You could see it on his beaming face as he talked about the Gavitt Tipoff series with the Big East. Delany talking about the Garden tradition. Delany saying the Big Ten isn’t visiting, it’s moving into the East Coast.
I don’t think this necessarily signals a major shift. I think the basketball tournament will be in the Midwest more often than east. I don’t see the football championship going over in an East Coast market.
Then again, these are not bones being thrown to Maryland and Rutgers. There’s going to be an East Coast presence. As ridiculous as Rutgers looks now, it’s not about that. There’s a bigger picture.
Maybe you were watching the same game I saw last week, where the Big Ten logo showed up on an advertising board behind home plate at Yankee Stadium, for the entire nation to see. Yankee Stadium. Big Ten.
But with 14 schools, two regions and a commissioner who loves his hoops, what does that mean for Nebraska football?
I had this conversation in the office last week with Sam McKewon. We agreed that the Gavitt series was another example of the Big Ten getting creative with basketball. This is big stuff, but par for the course for Big Ten hoops, which prides itself as a national leader, a league that will play anybody, anywhere, on aircraft carriers if necessary.
Big Ten football is more about the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten played three bowl games against SEC opponents, all in the same region and all at about the same time. It’s playing nine league games, which is great, but the power matchups are hard to find.
Nebraska was brought into the Big Ten for a reason. Presumably, to bolster football on BTN. But Nebraska doesn’t play Ohio State until 2016 or Michigan until 2018.
Meanwhile, next season’s league home schedule is the biggest dud you or I have ever seen in Lincoln. Bill Snyder, where are you?
Nationally, Big Ten football is a constant punch line. Does anyone in the Big Ten care? Do Husker fans care?
Last month, I ran into some old Big 12 friends at the Final Four. They asked what I thought about life in the Big Ten. My reply was, I don’t feel like I really know it yet.
The farther east it extends, the bigger it grows, the less I know it.
Then again, this isn’t about me or you. Soon, each Big Ten school will clear an estimated $44 million each year. NU might start recruiting New Jersey again. East Coast students may start flocking onto Perlman’s campus. Life has changed and it won’t stand still.
And Delany will keep blazing a trail. Where’s he going? It will be fascinating to watch. Big Ten football? Not so much.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten is a money making machine, Nebraska needs to understand that. The Big ten isn't worried about football, adding maryland and rutgers should've been the writing on the wall. Just sit back, collect checks, and try to win with whatever schedule you're given.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight. Nebraska is upset, because their conference is focused on a region outside of their area. Their voice isnt heard. They are not getting great match-ups in the Conference. The more things change the more they stay the same for Nebraska fans.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten is a money making machine, Nebraska needs to understand that. The Big ten isn't worried about football, adding maryland and rutgers should've been the writing on the wall. Just sit back, collect checks, and try to win with whatever schedule you're given.

Yup, that's basically it at this point. Adding Maryland and Rutgers wasn't because of football, it was to get the "east coast" market.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shatel: Under Delany, Big Ten football takes a backseat

Funny thing is that if Nebraska were winning championships none of what that guy said would be on anyone's mind.

Nebraska is so scared of making another coaching mistake that they give contract extensions to Pelini and live in Bogatory instead of getting a coach that can coach.

Half their fans are ok with their current coach and half are not, but one thing is for sure, none of them are happy. I guess the University will be happy with 4 losses a year as long as those checks keep coming.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question the football brand of Nebraska has taken a hit. But you could argue it started a little before they joined the B1G. They just aren't the same program of the 90's or even the early years of the 2000's. And I don't see the changes the B1G has made helping increase the brand when they will go in cycles of not playing Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan now. Would they have had a better chance of getting back to what they were in the Big 12, I think so. They'd play OU and Texas every year and have a better chance at landing kids in Texas since they'd be playing 1-2 games there every year.

But the university is making much much more money than they would have in the big 12. I guess it's what's more important to the university. They took the money over their football program IMO.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winning solves everything.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight. Nebraska is upset, because their conference is focused on a region outside of their area. Their voice isnt heard. They are not getting great match-ups in the Conference. The more things change the more they stay the same for Nebraska fans.
--------
The article expresses one mans opinion of Big 10 Sports and Nebraska's involvement. If there is discontent among the Husker faithful it isn't about the "new" conference but rather about one of the "old" coaches we still have. Conference strength comes and goes in cycles. Ten years ago the Pac was pretty much just a basketball conference (mixed with a little baseball). Now they've become somewhat of a football conference. The B1G will come around to being a good football conference again.

Now coda, shame on you for your sarcasm and lies. Nebraska is NOT upset about anything. They are re-establishing their basketball/baseball/football prominence. We have the right coach in two out of those three. We'll eventually get the right FB coach as well.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Answer: No

But Shatel is an excellent writer and brings up many good points.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be having buyers remorse because the Big 12 is so weak now, they probably could have won the conference the last few years.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Your observations are a bit off. Rutgers and Maryland first and foremost add to the TV demographic. Which in turn does add more money into the coffers of every school in the B1G. Which in turn helps with recruiting. Only three conferences have expanded with these factors in mind: The ACC, The PAC, & the B1G. The results may not be seen yet but those conferences that are basically in a micro area are going to be (in the long term) hurt badly.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winning solves everything.

This ^^

If Nebraska was to win the B10 a couple years and hit the BCS games, get a W there this would not be a conversation.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Your observations are a bit off. Rutgers and Maryland first and foremost add to the TV demographic. Which in turn does add more money into the coffers of every school in the B1G. Which in turn helps with recruiting. Only three conferences have expanded with these factors in mind: The ACC, The PAC, & the B1G. The results may not be seen yet but those conferences that are basically in a micro area are going to be (in the long term) hurt badly.

The B1G has been getting a shit load of money for the past 7 years and recruiting for the conference has gotten worse. Kids from the south aren't going to come play up north because they'll have the chance to play in college, park MD or in NJ. Adding MD and Rutgers monetarily was a home run. From a football and recruiting perspective it does nothing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--------
The article expresses one mans opinion of Big 10 Sports and Nebraska's involvement. If there is discontent among the Husker faithful it isn't about the "new" conference but rather about one of the "old" coaches we still have. Conference strength comes and goes in cycles. Ten years ago the Pac was pretty much just a basketball conference (mixed with a little baseball). Now they've become somewhat of a football conference. The B1G will come around to being a good football conference again.

Now coda, shame on you for your sarcasm and lies. Nebraska is NOT upset about anything. They are re-establishing their basketball/baseball/football prominence. We have the right coach in two out of those three. We'll eventually get the right FB coach as well.

Isnt this an article from a local paper in Omaha? Does not seem unreasonable to assume he has a pulse on the fan base. Even if it is pandering to the vocal minority. Back in 2000 Pac had 3 teams in the top 7. I am just not a Big 10 fan. I think demographics have been killing them for years, as people have been leaving the rust belt since the 80s. 2000-10 the North East and Midwest saw population grow by 4.2mm people. South 14.3mm and the West added 8.7mm..I believe the West is now growing the fastest. Recruiting tends to follow population over time, so I think it will be quite awhile until the Big 10 regains its former glory.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No remorse here.
Shatel is just a journalist who's not even from Nebraska. He's from Missouri and attended the U. of Missouri. The vast majority of his writing years have been for the OWH though and I do enjoy reading his articles. He does have a strained relationship with Pelini.
Nebraska will get it's exposure through BTN and have it's opportunities to play Ohio St, Michigan, or Penn St in Big 10 CCG's and that is where the money will be all worth it. I think they have 5 national primetime football games scheduled this upcoming season. It's all good and it's STABLE. No more Mickey Mouse horseshit.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't confuse those being unhappy with Pelini with being unhappy with the Big 10. There are far more opportunities in athletics, academics, and at the bank by being a member of the Big 10.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No remorse here.
Shatel is just a journalist who's not even from Nebraska. He's from Missouri and attended the U. of Missouri. The vast majority of his writing years have been for the OWH though and I do enjoy reading his articles. He does have a strained relationship with Pelini.
Nebraska will get it's exposure through BTN and have it's opportunities to play Ohio St, Michigan, or Penn St in Big 10 CCG's and that is where the money will be all worth it. I think they have 5 national primetime football games scheduled this upcoming season. It's all good and it's STABLE. No more Mickey Mouse horseshit.

Playing Northwestern and Illinois in primetime on BTN will not do much for the exposure of the football team. Especially when better games will be on ABC/ESPN. Outside of Nebraska and Northwestern fans who's going to watch that over Notre Dame vs. FSU as an example. BTN doesn't offer great exposure for football it just offers great revenue streams for the schools in the B1G. I'm sure schools would rather play at noon on ESPN over a primetime game on BTN.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Northwestern and Illinois in primetime on BTN will not do much for the exposure of the football team. Especially when better games will be on ABC/ESPN. Outside of Nebraska and Northwestern fans who's going to watch that over Notre Dame vs. FSU as an example. BTN doesn't offer great exposure for football it just offers great revenue streams for the schools in the B1G. I'm sure schools would rather play at noon on ESPN over a primetime game on BTN.

As opposed to playing Kansas and Iowa St on Pay-per-View or Fox Sports (where you're limited to a zone)? You don't have to live in Big 10 country to get BTN. It's bundled into many sports packages. Fox Sports is limited to a particular zone. There are plenty of opportunities for exposure. National games against Wisconsin and Iowa aren't even listed.

The point of the matter is that Nebraska is in better hands in the Big 10. Academically, athletically, economically and in stability. It's not even a question.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G has been getting a shit load of money for the past 7 years and recruiting for the conference has gotten worse. Kids from the south aren't going to come play up north because they'll have the chance to play in college, park MD or in NJ. Adding MD and Rutgers monetarily was a home run. From a football and recruiting perspective it does nothing.
-------
Back in the day (probably before you were born) most southern teams ACC & SEC weren't that good. One of the BIG reasons was because schools like Nebraska would be successful at recruiting in the south. Quality recruits will go where they know they can win. Right now most of the winning is in the south no denying that, but that dynamic can and will change eventually. MD & NJ while not major recruiting hotbeds gives the B1G a foot in the door when it comes to recruiting in a southerly direction. Those two additions won't be the only states where the B1G network will be offered.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ thinking Nebraska would be better off in the B12.

large.gif