• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Michigan officially a dead program like Nebraska?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why do you think the talent level in GA or other southern states is greater than up in OH or MI? The population base is virtually the same in all 3 states..
OH produces good talent, a tier below CA, TX, FL, GA.
MI doesn't have as much of an emphasis on HS football would be my guess for lack of instate talent.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah! what he said! I mean, heck, even Kansas won an orange bowl not TOO long ago! Nebraska'll be the next Kansas, I just know it!
It'd be nice to see them succeed in basketball atleast.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one cares about Michigan when they're getting blown up in the Gator Bowl..

Miami was as good as anyone through the mid 2000s - including fielding one of the best CFB teams of all time.
Michigan gets talked about because they hired a coach that looks to have a slight mental disorder and has a stupid khaki shtick.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why do you think the talent level in GA or other southern states is greater than up in OH or MI? The population base is virtually the same in all 3 states..

Ohio has just as much homegrown talent as Georgia

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska could bounce back, but Michigan is paying a dude 9 million a year to be just pretty good. What a joke of a program.

In before "but, defense tho!" or "Washington didn't even look good in that game against Rutgers 6 weeks ago!"

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one cares about Michigan when they're getting blown up in the Gator Bowl..

Miami was as good as anyone through the mid 2000s - including fielding one of the best CFB teams of all time.
Michigan gets talked about because they hired a coach that looks to have a slight mental disorder and has a stupid khaki shtick.
Oh i thought you meant the past few years, fair enough

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee may be a dead program. We can't get a good coach.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH produces good talent, a tier below CA, TX, FL, GA.
MI doesn't have as much of an emphasis on HS football would be my guess for lack of instate talent.

Agreed. Plus if they have the grades, you have a monopoly on that talent.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Michigan has had a decent QB in the last 10 years. Without that they'll never get anywhere. Same with Nebraska. Martinez was good at times, but not enough times.

they haven't had a good RB since Hart.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is there a way to answer this without sounding racist?

It's basically sports culture.

Football is huge in the south. It's generally not as popular in the north as it is in the south. Instead of football, many of the top male northern athletes go into basketball, wrestling, hockey, soccer.... heck, even lacrosse in the northeast.

As an example, in the east-side suburban Detroit area I reside in, wrestling is king in many/most of the local high school districts. In some other metro Detroit high schools, hockey is #1. And of course, basketball is huge in metro Detroit.

Despite the dense population of my area, some of the local high school football teams struggle to get even 25-30 kids on the varsity football squad.

In a few months from now, watch the Winter Olympics from Korea, and pay attention to where most of the US team hails from.

Last edited:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's basically sports culture.

Football is huge in the south. It's generally not as popular in the north as it is in the south. Instead of football, many of the top male northern athletes go into basketball, wrestling, hockey, soccer.... heck, even lacrosse in the northeast.

As an example, in the east-side suburban Detroit area I reside in, wrestling is king in many/most of the local high school districts. In some other metro Detroit high schools, hockey is #1. And of course, basketball is huge in metro Detroit.

Despite the dense population of my area, some of the local high school football teams struggle to get even 25-30 kids on the varsity football squad.

In a few months from now, watch the Winter Olympics from Korea, and pay attention to where most of the US team hails from.
Winter is coming.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want your threads bumped after jinxing your team? Because this is how you get threads bumped after jinxing your team!

Bookmarked for potential November 25 bump. :heh:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want your threads bumped after jinxing your team? Because this is how you get threads bumped after jinxing your team!

Bookmarked for potential November 25 bump. :heh:

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread.

On November 25, if Michigan beats Ohio, some of the Buckeye fans will be suicidal!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Michigan has had a decent QB in the last 10 years. Without that they'll never get anywhere. Same with Nebraska. Martinez was good at times, but not enough times.

Exactly. I thought by year 3 and his 1st year with a QB recruited by Harbaugh on the roster, we’d see a change at the QB position. If John O’Korn is our best option, Brandon Peters will never see the field.

UM’s only hope to get to the next level is to find an elite QB. Dylan McCaffrey could be that guy, but I thought Peters had a better chance based on their size. McCaffrey looks so skinny to me and looks like an injury waiting to happen.

I said at the beginning of the year, next year is the year I was looking forward to. I thought we’d have Peters or McCaffrey at QB this year where they’d be surrounded by youth, but at least they’d get much needed experience. Instead, Speight wins the job. He goes down and O’Korn is the backup. That is a blatant example that UM just does not have the caliber of QB needed to be a top 10 team and until they do, they won’t get to the next level.

As I’ve said in the past — there is one team and one team only that can get away with just a solid QB. It is Alabama and no one recruits like Bama can.