• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mario Cristobal Another Clay Helton?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way you can with a straight face say that Oregon has more talent than LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Clemson, or USC.
You can add Cincinnati, Memphis, Minnesota, Baylor and SMU.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing how often Auburn is the measuring stick for greatness.

I could've substituted Arizona St and it would have meant the same thing.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could've substituted Arizona St and it would have meant the same thing.
Arizona St is a measuring stick for you now? That is truly depressing.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona St is a measuring stick for you now? That is truly depressing.

That was your call. Beating Oregon was "greatness" for Auburn. Arizona St beat Oregon too.

It is a Frost led G5 UCF that Auburn couldn't beat in a NY6 bowl.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Helton isn't recruiting well anymore. It's actually shocking how bad their 2020 class is right now.

2) Do you really think Oregon underperformed the last 2 years? I had them at 8-4 in 2018 (which they matched) and 9-3 this year (which they have a chance to beat).

People forget that one recruiting class doesn't immediately change everything. It takes years to develop the depth needed to win at an extremely high level.

I think Mario has done a good job so far.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I'm not willing to have top 6 talent just to lose 3 or 4 games per year. I'd rather make a new mistake than the same old one.

That said, my hope is that he either learns to coach better or gets assistants who can. But the coaching this season rates a D with me.

What makes you think Oregon has top 6 talent?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, both have shown they can recruit like hell, get strong devotion from their players, are total football men thru and thru....................................... and really don't coach all that well.

Clay has proven himself to be a poor head coach. That case is over.

Cristobal seems the same. We have serious talent all over this team (except placekicker) and we get to see losses to inferior teams and having to pull games out at the end against equally inferior teams. That's coaching issues. Look at Utah. They play to their ability week after week. Why do we do so 5 or 6 games a season?

ASU brought their B game and we brought our F game and were grossly unprepared and made hardly any necessary coaching changes. We, for the 5,000th time, ran a 4th & 1 over the left side where we were met by 10 ASU players. And with a 100% chance of success going up the middle, to the right, or even passing left... he just refuses to be successful.

We have top 6 talent and will lose 3+ games every year out of poor coaching. I'm just wondering how long this will go on before the faithful want a change.

Oh please Dear Lord, let the rest of the Oregon faithful and more importantly the Administration be this deluded. Cristobal has outperformed every expectation you should have. His recruiting classes have gotten better ever year, the team has gotten better every year. You are now playing for a conference title and a Rose Bowl berth. You should fire him immediately...so you can get the coach you really deserve....I heard John L. Smith is ready to move back to Div 1.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll disagree, but one thing I can say with 100% assurance is that we're playing beneath our talent level. That's coaching.

Are you really saying your WR talent is above USC?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please Dear Lord, let the rest of the Oregon faithful and more importantly the Administration be this deluded. Cristobal has outperformed every expectation you should have. His recruiting classes have gotten better ever year, the team has gotten better every year. You are now playing for a conference title and a Rose Bowl berth. You should fire him immediately...so you can get the coach you really deserve....I heard John L. Smith is ready to move back to Div 1.

John-L.jpg

SMILE!

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done great.
Why would he get fired?

It's a random fan irrationality bitching on the internet.

I'm sure the Oregon State version of Sam Mayes is taking this as insider info and running with it on local radio.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Oregon has top 6 talent?

He's delusional. He probably saw the 2019 class and assumed that was immediately the talent level of the team.

I listed 11 more talented teams earlier in the thread

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@blazer prophet is a moron. No one takes him seriously.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has done a far better job than I expected. with that said, let’s see how he does next year when he has to replace the QB, who was a team leader before Mario took over.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Helton isn't recruiting well anymore. It's actually shocking how bad their 2020 class is right now.

2) Do you really think Oregon underperformed the last 2 years? I had them at 8-4 in 2018 (which they matched) and 9-3 this year (which they have a chance to beat).

People forget that one recruiting class doesn't immediately change everything. It takes years to develop the depth needed to win at an extremely high level.

I think Mario has done a good job so far.

A top 3 O-line, QB (allegedly), very solid RB's, TE/WR injuries hurt, strong D-line, strong linebackers, ball hawking DB's. This team, with our schedule, should be undefeated. Rather, we have 2 losses and I suspect 3 before we're done. But we see the countless coaching errors and that is the weak link to this team.

Perfect example was our 4th/1 against ASU. We run over 90% of the time left on those. And lately fail more often than not. We could have walked it up the middle or to the right for a TD. Instead, we "surprised" ASU by running left. They flooded with 10 players and easily stopped us and changed the momentum for majority of the game. A TD and we win going away. We made zero game changes on defense with ASU receivers continuously open. Easy changes to make, BTW.

Add to it, a team simply unprepared to play. Coaching.

The ASU loss was unforgivable.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A top 3 O-line, QB (allegedly), very solid RB's, TE/WR injuries hurt, strong D-line, strong linebackers, ball hawking DB's. This team, with our schedule, should be undefeated. Rather, we have 2 losses and I suspect 3 before we're done. But we see the countless coaching errors and that is the weak link to this team.

Perfect example was our 4th/1 against ASU. We run over 90% of the time left on those. And lately fail more often than not. We could have walked it up the middle or to the right for a TD. Instead, we "surprised" ASU by running left. They flooded with 10 players and easily stopped us and changed the momentum for majority of the game. A TD and we win going away. We made zero game changes on defense with ASU receivers continuously open. Easy changes to make, BTW.

Add to it, a team simply unprepared to play. Coaching.

The ASU loss was unforgivable.
Maybe you guys should accomplish something on the national stage before you start dumping on a HC that is building you back up to a good place.

To this point in the history of Oregon, the biggest bowl you've ever won is a Rose Bowl. You have a very real chance of having that same opportunity this year in only his 2nd full season as HC. He brought in the school's highest rated recruit ever in the 2019 class, and he's adding another stud in the 2020 class along with numerous other top 150 talents. He has a proven track record of being an elite recruiter. I'm confident OSU can win in Autzen next year, but Thibodeaux has Chase Young potential, and that's scary in a conference that isn't known for having beastly offensive lines. The 2021 game in Columbus could be a really close game.

If you're capping off the 2021 season with a Redbox Bowl berth after a 4-loss season, maybe then you can start talking like this. Otherwise, you're just sounding like an ignorant fan who hasn't followed the team for more than this decade.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you guys should accomplish something on the national stage before you start dumping on a HC that is building you back up to a good place.

To this point in the history of Oregon, the biggest bowl you've ever won is a Rose Bowl. You have a very real chance of having that same opportunity this year in only his 2nd full season as HC. He brought in the school's highest rated recruit ever in the 2019 class, and he's adding another stud in the 2020 class along with numerous other top 150 talents. He has a proven track record of being an elite recruiter. I'm confident OSU can win in Autzen next year, but Thibodeaux has Chase Young potential, and that's scary in a conference that isn't known for having beastly offensive lines. The 2021 game in Columbus could be a really close game.

If you're capping off the 2021 season with a Redbox Bowl berth after a 4-loss season, maybe then you can start talking like this. Otherwise, you're just sounding like an ignorant fan who hasn't followed the team for more than this decade.
Jesus, Dork, we're talking about teams in past years. What the fuck have they to do with this team? BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Try and stay focused on the here and the now. I mean, why can't Across The Field blink?

Bottom line is we're underperforming and coaching errors are more than I have ever seen in the program. Ever.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon better hope nobody tries to steal Cristobal away anytime soon, like say a Miami or FSU. Appreciate him while he's there. :2cents: