• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is MAF?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new Chris Osgood? Sure, they can ratchet up their games and play well in the playoffs. However, their overall numbers are underwhelming and they both appear to benefit quite a bit from the strength of team playing in front of them.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was Osgood the new Grant Fuhr? :D

That was a little before I started watching hockey (at least the Cups portion of Fuhr's career), but I'd have to say a resounding yes to that one. :) Always have to one up me don't ya! Good call.

Although he was not too good by the time I saw him.....

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he's a little better than Osgood, but I've said this for awhile. I'm not sure if he will ever contend for a Vezina, but he has always made timely saves for us during the playoffs.

Unless you're one of those people I was arguing with on the old board who said that there is no such thing as a timely save. Then, he sucks.

Still, this has easily been his most underwhelming season. Normally, he turns it up coming into the playoffs (he has incredible feb/march numbers), but couldn't seem to find the consistency this year. However, if/when the Penguins are out, I can almost guarantee that he won't be to blame.

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens as a team were rather underwhelming at times in the regular season. The whole team has an on off switch. Last night for instance by the time they pressed the switch it was 2-0. They have been a very frustrating team to watch at times this season.

MAF seems to have lapses in concentration even when he is playing well. Stats wise he has to be near the bottom in every statistical category for playoff goaltenders so i wouldn't say he ratcheted it up to much.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a little better than Osgood, but I've said this for awhile. I'm not sure if he will ever contend for a Vezina, but he has always made timely saves for us during the playoffs.

Unless you're one of those people I was arguing with on the old board who said that there is no such thing as a timely save. Then, he sucks.

Still, this has easily been his most underwhelming season. Normally, he turns it up coming into the playoffs (he has incredible feb/march numbers), but couldn't seem to find the consistency this year. However, if/when the Penguins are out, I can almost guarantee that he won't be to blame.

Gotcha. I'd agree, his ceiling level does seem to be higher than Ozzy's.

Nope, I don't think I ever really argued with you Loki.....not that I know of anyway. On the main board, I tried to stay out of most of the Pens/Caps chats.....although, admittedly, I did get sucked in sometimes.

Also would agree.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I can see your point.

Fleury always had bad numbers because he let's in goals that he can afford to. Pens up 4-0? He'll let in a few. Up 2-0 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? He'll let in a weak one and then shut the door from there on out.

I think one big difference is that while both had great teams in front of them, Osgood had a great defensive team in front of him, which limited the crazy saves he had to make. Fleury has a great offensive team in front of him, so he gets a quite a bit of goal support, but he gets hung out to dry.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seem to fill the same role. Good enough in the playoffs for an elite team but just not great or even very good goalies most of the time.

The difference is that MAF seems like an underachiever according to his talent, while Osgood always seemed like an overachiever doing the same thing. I'm not sure if that is saying something good or bad about MAF.

One thing about MAF is that he is still young by goalie standards and might tap into his full, and considerable, talent down the road.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think fleury is probably the most overrated goalie in the game. he had one good regular season and one good postseason. besides that he has been very average. the difference between him and osgood is that fleury is probably better although he costs 5 mil. the pens do have a good offensive team and not a great defensive team although because of this, they are in the offensive zone for more than half the game. fleury made a save on carter last year that everybody hyped up although when you look at it carter shot it right into his pad. i do not think fleury is bad although 5 mil is a lot for a guy like that.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotcha. I'd agree, his ceiling level does seem to be higher than Ozzy's.

Nope, I don't think I ever really argued with you Loki.....not that I know of anyway. On the main board, I tried to stay out of most of the Pens/Caps chats.....although, admittedly, I did get sucked in sometimes.

Also would agree.

This wasn't even a Pens-Caps chat really. We were talking about goalies, and I said that Fleury makes timely saves. And there were two or three people who just didn't think this concept existed.

A lot of people in Pittsburgh blame him for every loss (because they know absolutely nothing about hockey). I feel like I am always defending him (not saying you were attacking him or anything), even though I don't even consider him an elite goalie.

Last night, he played great in those overtimes. If Fedotenko had some guts and actually blocked the shot, the outcome might have been in his favor too.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This wasn't even a Pens-Caps chat really. We were talking about goalies, and I said that Fleury makes timely saves. And there were two or three people who just didn't think this concept existed.

A lot of people in Pittsburgh blame him for every loss (because they know absolutely nothing about hockey). I feel like I am always defending him (not saying you were attacking him or anything), even though I don't even consider him an elite goalie.

Last night, he played great in those overtimes. If Fedotenko had some guts and actually blocked the shot, the outcome might have been in his favor too.

Yeah, all saves are not created equal. Same with powerplays. A huge save / powerplay with minutes left is much more important than a huge save / powerplay ten minutes into the first period.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there are a such thing as timely saves and big saves. one of those saves can deflate a team. i however think any goalie is capable of getting hot in the playoffs. i do not believe the whole, you need an elite goalie to win a cup arguement.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't remember posting in that thread, but I might have. If Dup or Maddog were in there, I most likely didn't, lol.

I'd consider him right on the cusp of being elite. He's close, but he's got to get more consistent imhumbleo. Granted, I've seen maybe 10 Pittsburgh games since he's come into the league so it's a small sample size.

Yeah, it looked like a pretty rough deflection. I was more trying to get an honest assessment out of people who have seen him more due to my small sample size and also going mostly on statistics......mainly out of curiosity since I remember when he was drafted there was a lot of hype surrounding him.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are a such thing as timely saves and big saves. one of those saves can deflate a team. i however think any goalie is capable of getting hot in the playoffs. i do not believe the whole, you need an elite goalie to win a cup arguement.
Any goalie can be hot. Elite goalies just do it more frequently, and rarely go through huge slumps.

I thought Fleury was poised to be an elite goaltender after last season's cup win, but he had a really rough year. Last night he was absolutely outstanding. Game 1 was the only game I thought he was weak on.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any goalie can be hot. Elite goalies just do it more frequently, and rarely go through huge slumps.

I thought Fleury was poised to be an elite goaltender after last season's cup win, but he had a really rough year. Last night he was absolutely outstanding. Game 1 was the only game I thought he was weak on.

I agree, he's been great in the playoffs this year. There were a couple shots he probably should have stopped in game 1, but that's been it to this point. To be quite honest, I would be very content with a goalie who put up less than superb numbers in the regular season, but knows how to turn it up when it counts in the playoffs like Fleury.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's just not as focused as he should be all the time. I also think that he's young enough that focus will come with age. If he can stay healthy and continue growing, his numbers will start to improve over the next few years of his career.

I think next year or the year after will be his breakout year, and thereafter he'll be an elite goaltender. He gets post-to-post quicker than any other goalie in the game, and his flexibility and glove hand are both incredible. If he cuts back on the softies, he'll be an elite goalie.

Bear in mind that for the first couple seasons in the league, he was on very bad team and had no goaltender coach. That probably had a major negative effect on his development.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i did not see all the penguins games because the flyers played at the same time. he was great against us last year. he did allow a soft goal in game 2 this year although he shut it down after that. boucher on the other hand has been amazing. haha. who would have thought it?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we can all agree on is that Fleury has to be much better handling the puck. I get a heart attack every time he steps out of the net.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my post on the main board when filosofy asked it there:
I would say yes, however, MAF certainly has a higher ceiling if he can reach his potential.

the banter between lizard and us was pretty good after that

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my post on the main board when filosofy asked it there:
I would say yes, however, MAF certainly has a higher ceiling if he can reach his potential.

the banter between lizard and us was pretty good after that

Yeah, that guy is so weird.....there are sometimes when he can be a cool poster and others when he can be a complete doosh (but I think Dup ruined him).....I think he's a "coosh" (cool doosh) poster?