• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

is LBF an every down ILb

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Fletcher still an every-down linebacker? | Comcast SportsNet Washington

i say yes . he should be at least be able to prove it one way or the other .

my question is should he ? keenan robinson should get those snaps since he is the next guy up . and he has the size and speed to at least match up with those te's

look i know father time gets everyone but i also want to see if the injuries are doing it or is it age

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fletcher on 1st and 2nd downs, keenan on 3rd (and 4th) downs. we all know hes a liability in covering tight ends so why keep him out there?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fletcher on 1st and 2nd downs, keenan on 3rd (and 4th) downs. we all know hes a liability in covering tight ends so why keep him out there?

i dont advocate this however he was a 2nd team all pro last season with 3 sacks and 5 ints . that is why you keep him out there

my preference is to get keenan those snaps if he earns them . understand i mean he earns them

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure by mid season Robinson will be stealing those snaps away from Fletcher. Robinson or whomever else they use has to get experience. I'm sure this is Fletcher's last year whether he wants it to be that way or not.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been exposed in coverage quite a bit by taller TEs. I think Robinson will get a lot of time in passing situations this year. It makes sense for Robinson to get time in that regard because it's a strength of his. Where it's a weakness for Robinson.

And we need to see more of Robinson this year anyway, to see if he can be a viable option for the future or if they need to make ILB a top priority next offseason.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not anymore. He is a liability on passing downs. Plus, we need to see if his replacement is on the team. Robinson will get 25-30% of the snaps this year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not anymore. He is a liability on passing downs. Plus, we need to see if his replacement is on the team. Robinson will get 25-30% of the snaps this year.

look i think keenan should get those passing down snaps for experience etc . what i have a hard time with is how do you call a ilb with 3 sacks and 5 ints a "liability " on passing downs ?

he gets beat by taller te's and he is a scrub ? there isnt an ILb in the nfl who will cover a gonzo , or witten or graham , or gronk one on one .

the guy had 5 picks . now if you are saying he is getting older and resting him on passing downs is an answer then i am in

sorry but i have a hard time seeing a guy with 139 tackles , 3 sacks , 5 ints while playing injured as being in decline and if he is then we all should be .

he was a 2nd team ALL PRO , not pro bowler , but ALL PRO . you only get 2 ilbs on that team and it isnt fan driven

now i can concede that age could eat him up quickly .

ultimately i can be all wet about this and i can surely eat the crow but dang its hard to go after that conclusion :bawling:

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look i think keenan should get those passing down snaps for experience etc . what i have a hard time with is how do you call a ilb with 3 sacks and 5 ints a "liability " on passing downs ?

he gets beat by taller te's and he is a scrub ? there isnt an ILb in the nfl who will cover a gonzo , or witten or graham , or gronk one on one .

the guy had 5 picks . now if you are saying he is getting older and resting him on passing downs is an answer then i am in

sorry but i have a hard time seeing a guy with 139 tackles , 3 sacks , 5 ints while playing injured as being in decline and if he is then we all should be .

he was a 2nd team ALL PRO , not pro bowler , but ALL PRO . you only get 2 ilbs on that team and it isnt fan driven

now i can concede that age could eat him up quickly .

ultimately i can be all wet about this and i can surely eat the crow but dang its hard to go after that conclusion :bawling:
we all love fletcher and want him on the field as much as possible. we know hes very underrated, a pro bowler and the leader of our defense however if keenan is better in pass coverage, why not put him out there on passing downs. if keenan isnt better in pass coverage then keep fletcher out there. we all love fletcher too skinsdad.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, martinez. Dad, I never said he was a scrub. But he IS a liability on passing downs. He was targeted regularly. If the other team had 3rd and 8-15yds, they knew to take the TE behind LBF and throw it high. First down. Not one of his INTs came in this situation. Now, if they want to use him in a blitz package on passing downs, then he may still be effective. But he is physically over matched when forced to cover almost any starting NFL TE today.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most ilb's if not all are overmatched by 6-5 6-6 6-4 te's i cant name one ilb who has the height and speed to match up with that kind of player . keenan wont but i do understand the need to get him out there

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was exposed in coverage quite a bit. He was either a step or two behind or a foot too short in a lot of instances over the past two years. Our pass defense statistics vs. TEs is one of the worst in the league in general. But if you look at what teams do to target Fletcher, he's a big part of the problem. Robinson can play a very key role on defense this year because of that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was exposed in coverage quite a bit. He was either a step or two behind or a foot too short in a lot of instances over the past two years. Our pass defense statistics vs. TEs is one of the worst in the league in general. But if you look at what teams do to target Fletcher, he's a big part of the problem. Robinson can play a very key role on defense this year because of that.

i am sorry but the guy had 5 ints so i cant see how an ilb with 5 picks is "exposed " in coverage . i understand his age and all but like i said find me an ilb who isnt exposed in coverage to tall athletic TE's .

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you how he was exposed in coverage. But you want to ignore it. So that's fine.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you how he was exposed in coverage. But you want to ignore it. So that's fine.

and i am saying what other ILB in the NFL is exposed in the same way ? there is no ILB in the NFL who can cover a gronk , or a graham or a gates , or a witten or a gonzo so why is this some kind of huge fault in LBF's game ?

and again i understand getting robinson snaps . i understand LBF's age but i think it is a huge stretch to say LBF is "exposed in coverage against taller te's " when no other ILB in the NFL will consistantly win that match-up against those top tier te's the best ILB's in the game including LBF cant do that

and coverage is more then covering a te down the field and 5 picks indicates he can hold his own whether it be zone or man to man when asked to cover guys he and other ILB's are better match-ups physically

it isnt ignoring it its just disagreeing with the common assesment . now could LBF be really exposed next season ? sure he can . at his age the end could come fast . should we get more snaps for a taller more athletically gifted robinson ? sure , but that is the real reason to say he needs fewer snaps . not some baseless statement about being exposed in coverage to the best te's in the game when no other ILb can do it either

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put it simply as I can, without repeating myself too much. Our defense is at the bottom of the league when it comes to covering tight ends. Fletcher is part of that problem.

I don't know what else you need.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put it simply as I can, without repeating myself too much. Our defense is at the bottom of the league when it comes to covering tight ends. Fletcher is part of that problem.

I don't know what else you need.

i havent seen stat one on that . and again tell me how any ILB in the nfl would be better ? the facts are most ilbs arent tall or athletic enough to cover te's you say LBF cant . in fact i cant name one who can

i dont know what else to say to you he had 5 picks in coverage . and again coverage isnt all about te's and if his supposed one weakness is covering tall. all world te's , i would say i would give that up in exchange for the turnovers and his leadership on the field .

but anyways you are a good poster and we disagree . thats all :suds:

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not a matter of who can cover gronk, because no one can. its a matter of being better in pass coverage and trying to improve our d in that way.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article on how we suck vs. TEs. London Fletcher included. And it's not just against top flight TEs. And it hasn't been just this year. It's been an ongoing thing for the past few seasons. And Fletcher is a part of the problem. You can point to interceptions if you'd like, but that's not the sole indicator of COVERAGE and defense. We give up a TON of yardage and a TON of TDs through the air to tight ends. London Fletcher is a big liability in pass coverage vs Tight Ends, there is no argument against that.

Redskins Defense Struggling to Cover Tight Ends - Hogs Haven

Aside from not getting pressure on the quarterback, it is our biggest issue on defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not a matter of who can cover gronk, because no one can. its a matter of being better in pass coverage and trying to improve our d in that way.

its all about being right on the assupmtion that LBF is at fault . the article warpath sights has RILEY being beaten not LBF .