• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for a new stadium?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently attended a Astro game at Minute Maid park. Retractable roof. I just read the rangers are getting a new stadium with same type of roof. So the question comes why should the Dodgers keep playing in the same 60 year old stadium? Maybe those teams sell out more games than the Dodgers do. Anyone got a debate on this?

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently attended a Astro game at Minute Maid park. Retractable roof. I just read the rangers are getting a new stadium with same type of roof. So the question comes why should the Dodgers keep playing in the same 60 year old stadium? Maybe those teams sell out more games than the Dodgers do. Anyone got a debate on this?

Their stadium is fine. They just need to fix the parking. They certainly don't need a roof.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their stadium is fine. They just need to fix the parking. They certainly don't need a roof.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with a stadium to get a new one. The Rangers current one had only been around since 1994. Was anything wrong with candlestick before ATT was built?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rangers definitely need a building with air conditioning. Any team in the south does. The summer heat and sun at the park can be brutal. The worst sunburn of my life came from attending a day Braves game in July.

I think Dodger Stadium is uglier than sin, but it doesn't rain much in SoCal, and SoCal summers aren't near as brutal as Texas summers, so unless there's structural problems with Dodger Stadium that I'm unaware of, I wouldn't think the Dodgers would need a new stadium.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is Trojanfight we're talking about.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with a stadium to get a new one. The Rangers current one had only been around since 1994. Was anything wrong with candlestick before ATT was built?

Yes. It was a shithole in the middle of a gang-infested neighborhood. It was arguably the worst stadium in the league when it was replaced. The Dodgers lead the league in attendance in an iconic ballpark. They've renovated recently to modernize the bathrooms and concessions. There really isn't any reason for them to build a new stadium. Fix the parking and get rid of the hooligans and they're golden. Maybe settle the cable deal as well.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger Stadium rainouts are very rare

But rainouts are exceedingly rare in Los Angeles. There have only been 17 in the 53-year history of Dodger Stadium. In addition to the current record streak without a rainout, there have been other long drought, too.

The Dodgers played 410 games at Dodger Stadium before its first rainout, on April 21, 1967, then went 724 games before the next one, in 1976. The club also went from 1988 to 1999 between rainouts, a streak of 856 games that was the major league record before the current streak.

--------------------------------

Also, have you been to Dodger Stadium recently? They keep doing huge renovations and the place looks fantastic. As mentioned, the problem lies with parking and even that doesn't really bother me too badly. I just bring my patience with me and know that it'll take 15-20 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger Stadium rainouts are very rare

But rainouts are exceedingly rare in Los Angeles. There have only been 17 in the 53-year history of Dodger Stadium. In addition to the current record streak without a rainout, there have been other long drought, too.

The Dodgers played 410 games at Dodger Stadium before its first rainout, on April 21, 1967, then went 724 games before the next one, in 1976. The club also went from 1988 to 1999 between rainouts, a streak of 856 games that was the major league record before the current streak.

--------------------------------

Also, have you been to Dodger Stadium recently? They keep doing huge renovations and the place looks fantastic. As mentioned, the problem lies with parking and even that doesn't really bother me too badly. I just bring my patience with me and know that it'll take 15-20 minutes to get out of the parking lot.
I live near LAX and took public transit to Chavez Latrine last year. I took the Green Line from Imperial to the bus line on Harbor Freeway that was a free Dodger shuttle and it had it's own lane into the park. It took less than an hour from front door to Dodger parking lot for about 2 bucks one way. I was IMPRESSED.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live near LAX and took public transit to Chavez Latrine last year. I took the Green Line from Imperial to the bus line on Harbor Freeway that was a free Dodger shuttle and it had it's own lane into the park. It took less than an hour from front door to Dodger parking lot for about 2 bucks one way. I was IMPRESSED.
LOL Chavez Latrine.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was just that if some teams like the Rangers get new ball parks within 20 years or so then why not LA. With the new Rams stadium being built doesn't that become a intriguing location? Next to Fenway and the Cubs it's the oldest.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was just that if some teams like the Rangers get new ball parks within 20 years or so then why not LA. With the new Rams stadium being built doesn't that become a intriguing location? Next to Fenway and the Cubs it's the oldest.
The Rangers first park was a piece of shit, that's why. And dear god, don't make me drive to that crappy Hollywood Park location for a game.

Arlington Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're comparing a stadium -- that was originally built as a 10,000 seat minor league park and then converted to be an MLB stadium -- to one of the treasured cathedrals of baseball. This is not apples to apples. Not even close.

You're also acting like that stadium was only 20 years old, and it wasn't. The original Arlington Stadium was built only 3 years after Dodgers Stadium.

To make matters worse you want put in a new one by the airport? Hell, no.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers first park was a piece of shit, that's why. And dear god, don't make me drive to that crappy Hollywood Park location for a game.

Arlington Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're comparing a stadium -- that was originally built as a 10,000 seat minor league park and then converted to be an MLB stadium -- to one of the treasured cathedrals of baseball. This is not apples to apples. Not even close.

You're also acting like that stadium was only 20 years old, and it wasn't. The original Arlington Stadium was built only 3 years after Dodgers Stadium.

To make matters worse you want put in a new one by the airport? Hell, no.
Oops: I confused things about the newer one being made. Still, Dodger stadium is fine.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to 20+ ballparks in my 57+ years and Dodger Stadium is a great venue for baseball. Not a bad seat in the house.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The announcer for the Reds since 1974 seems to think Dodger stadium is the most beautiful park in the league, but yeah, let's tear it down because we need a retractable roof LOL.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to intrude on your forum, but the answer is easy ... YES!!! No dome (it's Southern Cal). You get 3.5+ million fans a year and the newer stadiums (Camden Yards or after) are awesome. Make it unique and call it something with a California flavor. Good luck!!!

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to intrude on your forum, but the answer is easy ... YES!!! No dome (it's Southern Cal). You get 3.5+ million fans a year and the newer stadiums (Camden Yards or after) are awesome. Make it unique and call it something with a California flavor. Good luck!!!
Dodger Stadium....plenty of Cali flavor and uniqueness in the name. Keep it as is. All that missing is a statue immortalizing Vin Scully.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was so bad about Yankee stadium before they got what they have now? A new stadium Is more often a luxury then a need. Why don't the Rams just play at the coliseum? They don't "need" a new stadium right? Hell maybe that giants fan doesn't get beaten half to death in a new stadium. Goes back to 2003 but a giant fan was stabbed to death in parking lot then.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was so bad about Yankee stadium before they got what they have now? A new stadium Is more often a luxury then a need. Why don't the Rams just play at the coliseum? They don't "need" a new stadium right? Hell maybe that giants fan doesn't get beaten half to death in a new stadium. Goes back to 2003 but a giant fan was stabbed to death in parking lot then.

Yeah, a new stadium will stop people from becoming douchebags. A new stadium also cures cancer.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger stadium already leads MLB in attendance and has done so for several years.

Per game:

2016: 45.3k
2015: 46.4k
2014: 46.7k
2013: 46.2k

They average about 200,000 or so more fans in attendance per year than than the 2nd place Cardinals.

The average ticket price has increased each year, but the lowest year listed was 2013 at $22.37. So we're looking at roughly 4.5-6 million extra dollars per year.

Last edited: