• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it Ohio State's fault?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes illinois and purdue are awful but most conferences have a few awful teams

PAC has Colorado and Cal
ACC has Virginia and NC State
SEC has Arkansas and Kentucky
Big 12 has Iowa State and Kansas

Purdue is likely the worst non AAC BCS team, Illini at least beat an 8 win Cincinnati in OOC.

agree. Just pointing out that no conference is strong top to bottom. Never understood that.

The teams at the bottom are turrble.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree strongly.

THe bottom of the B1G is putrid right now.

Three very good teams in WIsky, MSU, and Ohio State with a few teams having decent seasons and a few more having very disappointing seasons.

Illinois, Purdue are absolutely terrible.

Poor Illinois is going to go 0 for 3 years in conference.:L

Bottom of the B10 sucks balls. Purdue is having a historically bad year. They went 6 weeks without running a play in their opponents red zone... 6 weeks!! Yikes. Illini actually arent TERRIBLE, just pretty bad. Listen the biggest difference between a league like the B10 and the SEC isnt the top 2 teams or even the bottom couple ( I mean Kentucky vs Purdue would be a 0-0 tie going into the 8th OT), the difference is the 3,4,5 type teams. When you have Auburn, USCe, LSU, as your 3,4,5 and compare that with Wisky, Minnesota, Iowa etc that is where the difference lays and it makes a HUGE difference in SOS too. No one is going to convince me Miss State is better than say PSU but when Miss St loses they lose to higher SOS teams thus making their SOS higher so it becomes tough to compete with a league where every win you get save 1 or 2 is a top 60 type win. Now just because Miss St gets beat by USCe, Bama, LSU etc doesnt make them any better team than a Penn State but the SOS says they are.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being completely honest with myself, tOSU is a good team, but not an elite team like FSU or Bama...

I put Baylor at about the same level as tOSU, really good team, but has weaknesses... I'll put Baylor in the "elite" category if they win out...

FSU and Bama have each had one game where they didn't play up to their standards (aka didn't win by 3+ scores)...

Ohio State has had several games where the supposedly less talented team has kept up or even given tOSU a run for it's money (Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois) I do consider Wisconsin a good win... At some point, you have to accept that the poor showings against inferior competition is who we are, not the anomaly...

Our defensive talent and/or coaching are questionable at best... I'm not sure if it's a shit scheme or if the scheme is sound and the players just aren't executing... What's telling to me is as soon as Fickle took over in 2011 our defense got significantly worse (compared to the 2010 defense)... and has show little improvement from season to season...

Excuse my ignorance, but is it Fickle who is calling the defensive schemes?

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with Oregon. Sorry, not biting.

And how could Northwestern have gone in the tank after playing tOSU?

Northwestern never was good.
They beat

Cal
Syracuse
Western Michigan
Maine

Those 4 teams are dog shit.

No poof. They were never good. Sorry.

Id disagree with that to a point. NW was never a top 15 type team but if they hadnt sustained all their injuries I have no doubt they would be a 7-3 type team right now. Hell they lost 2 OT games, lost on a Hail Mary to Nebraska and by 7 to Iowa all WITH those injuries.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom of the B10 sucks balls. Purdue is having a historically bad year. They went 6 weeks without running a play in their opponents red zone... 6 weeks!! Yikes. Illini actually arent TERRIBLE, just pretty bad. Listen the biggest difference between a league like the B10 and the SEC isnt the top 2 teams or even the bottom couple ( I mean Kentucky vs Purdue would be a 0-0 tie going into the 8th OT), the difference is the 3,4,5 type teams. When you have Auburn, USCe, LSU, as your 3,4,5 and compare that with Wisky, Minnesota, Iowa etc that is where the difference lays and it makes a HUGE difference in SOS too. No one is going to convince me Miss State is better than say PSU but when Miss St loses they lose to higher SOS teams thus making their SOS higher so it becomes tough to compete with a league where every win you get save 1 or 2 is a top 60 type win. Now just because Miss St gets beat by USCe, Bama, LSU etc doesnt make them any better team than a Penn State but the SOS says they are.

:10:

that is what I have always felt.

You can project what could happen between the top 2 or 3 teams in any conference vs each other and come to an educated guess as to the outcome. But really, until they play the game that is all it is, a guess.

The reality comes down to those 2nd tier teams in the conference, seeing how they measure up against the conferences elites.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State knew Cal would be a mediocre "meh" opponent back when they scheduled them

the reason they did it is so their wealthy alums could visit a great city in San Francisco and watch their team play at the beautiful Cal campus

the unlucky thing for Ohio State is that normally if a big conference team goes undefeated, they play for the title.

Ohio State has scheduled big OCC games. they had Texas and Southern Cal in recent memory

next year they have VT
2015 @VT
2016 @Oklahoma
2017 Oklahoma and @UNC
2018 @TCU and UNC
2019 TCU

the problem is Ohio State's B1G schedule gets weaker starting next year with Rutgers and Maryland joining the B1G as teams that play Ohio State every year

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then what are you getting at?

I already explained in a response to you.

I dont think Cal or Northwestern's seasons went "poof" because they played tOSU like you suggested.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State knew Cal would be a mediocre "meh" opponent back when they scheduled them

Where can I find a fortune teller with the insight that you have?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year Ohio State has Va Tech Cincinnati and Navy OOC

Navy is usually a somewhat decent team and Cincinnati has been decent of late (8-2 this year)

so 2014s OOC slate is quite an improvement over 2013

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the tOSU AD thought Cal would be an 8-4 to 7-5 team when the scheduled them... a decent but not great OOC win... I doubt they expected Cal to be as bad as they are...

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where can I find a fortune teller with the insight that you have?

99 percent of America would have known Cal would have been a mediocre "meh" team back when Ohio State scheduled them. If you want an OCC opponent that will boost your cred, you don't schedule Cal. That would be retarded. You schedule teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal like Ohio State has done, or LSU like Wisconsin has done, or Bama like Michigan and Penn State did, etc

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99 percent of America would have known Cal would have been a mediocre "meh" team back when Ohio State scheduled them. If you want an OCC opponent that will boost your cred, you don't schedule Cal. That would be retarded. You schedule teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal like Ohio State has done, or LSU like Wisconsin has done, or Bama like Michigan and Penn State did, etc

Ya it is just so simple to schedule Texas and USC for 2 home n homes in a decade....:L

Scheduling games isnt as easy as you think.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are only so many ELITE level teams to schedule and alot of them arent going to do a home and home because they dont want to lose the revenue of an extra home game. That leaves you with neutral site games and you can only schedule those so often as well. No shame in scheduling a team that you think is a 7-8 win type team. Only when that team is historically bad does it end up looking bad. Even some of the "elite" level programs arent always consistent enough to makeyour schedule stron. I mean if a team had tried to schedule OSU in 2011 do you think they would have thought 6-6, or Auburn last year? Or Texas/Florida/Georgia/Michigan/USC this year?? Very few guarantees in CFB looking forward 5 plus year. How do you think Michigan St feels about their Boise State scheduling now that it looks like Boise is going back to irrelevance??

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

theres a difference between average 7 win team and 1 win though

from 02-09 CAL won at least 7 games....obviously theyve hit rock bottom the past 2 seasons

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already explained in a response to you.

I dont think Cal or Northwestern's seasons went "poof" because they played tOSU like you suggested.

It was a pretty humorous suggestion

CAL can't play Defense
NW got decimated by injuries

and for the record you told me Oregon solved their D Line problem, which was total BS cause they got pushed around by Stanford. That was the biggest disappointment for me in that game, it was the opportunity for Oregon to just get past Stanford it would be smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Should Ohio State and Oregon play the battle in the trenches will be the determining factor, just like the last time they played in the Rose Bowl.

Oregon will score points but not being able to dictate terms consistently will be a problem for them, especially if Oregon's D-Line gets shoved around by Ohio State's O-Line.

Every single possession in that game will be critical. I don't expect Oregon to make the same mistake of taking points off the board by trying to go for it on 4th down early. And relying on fumbles in the Red Zone wont be their for the Buckeyes.

It will be a very good game that I want to see.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it is just so simple to schedule Texas and USC for 2 home n homes in a decade....:L

Scheduling games isnt as easy as you think.

It wouldn't have been difficult to get someone more respectable than Cal...and esp. San Diego St, Buffalo and Florida A&M

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only so many ELITE level teams to schedule and alot of them arent going to do a home and home because they dont want to lose the revenue of an extra home game. That leaves you with neutral site games and you can only schedule those so often as well. No shame in scheduling a team that you think is a 7-8 win type team. Only when that team is historically bad does it end up looking bad. Even some of the "elite" level programs arent always consistent enough to makeyour schedule stron. I mean if a team had tried to schedule OSU in 2011 do you think they would have thought 6-6, or Auburn last year? Or Texas/Florida/Georgia/Michigan/USC this year?? Very few guarantees in CFB looking forward 5 plus year. How do you think Michigan St feels about their Boise State scheduling now that it looks like Boise is going back to irrelevance??

Texas, Georgia, and USC would still be solid nonconference wins this year. Even Michigan and Florida would be decent.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Baylor loses who is the media going to bandwagon to jump ohio state in the bcs if bama/fsu were to lose?

I still dont see Baylor higher in the final BCS standings if both are undefeated.....especially if Ohio State gets an 11-1 Sparty in the B1G title game

I'd like to agree, but I think you underestimate the blind and rabid hate for the buckeyes in the eyes of the people in power of the polls........