• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is D Line still ...?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is. I was thinking about this last night after the game. I really would like for us to just re sign Morgan and Synder instead of spend a pick or money on a free agent for those spots. I like the chemistry. I think we need to draft an olb to replace Brooks though, I think for what it'll cost to bring him back vs what he brings, we'd be better off with a 1st round olb to take his spot. More talent at a cheaper price, a player like Vinny Curry (unless Melvin Ingram is still available).
Vinny Curry - YouTube

Then I would like to see a de that can back up Justin Smith, as well as be groomed in the 2nd. I'm leaning towards Derek Wolfe in this position.

2012 Scouting Report: Derek Wolfe, DL, Cincinnati - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football

Derek Wolfe Highlight: 2011 Big East Defensive POY - YouTube

Then I'd like to see us draft Joe Adams in the 3rd to replace Ginn as a return man/4th wr.

Joe Adams named 2011 SEC Special Teams Player of the Year - YouTube
Joe Adams, Arkansan by birth...Razorback by grace of God.wmv - YouTube

All should be available when we pick, all will be productive in their roles.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Broyles drops enough for the 49ers and I also think the 49ers should get Marvin McNutt in the 3rd round (If he lasts that long). Yes, Iowa fan, but he would be a good possession receiver for the 49ers.

I think 2nd round, they should go after Whitney Mercilus from Illinois.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going by how Baalke let Spikes walk to replace him with his 2nd year phenom draft pick Bowman... I'm pretty sure that Baalke is going to let Brooks walk and replace him with his 2nd year phenom Aldon Smith. Just my feel on how Baalke treats good vets, when he has a great young guy in the wings.

So who would be our 4LB then? If you got Smith, Bowman and Willis, dont tell me for 1 min he would let Brooks walk and start PH, who has done nothing

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope Broyles drops enough for the 49ers and I also think the 49ers should get Marvin McNutt in the 3rd round (If he lasts that long). Yes, Iowa fan, but he would be a good possession receiver for the 49ers.

I think 2nd round, they should go after Whitney Mercilus from Illinois.

I too am an Iowa fan, but McNutt drops too many easy receptions to be a "possession" type receiver. He is a third round talent, but a project in the third round. He would be a steal in the 4th or 5th, but wont last that long. Given our current makeup of Crabs and Davis, who both can drop their fair share of receiptions, I don't think we should spend a 3rd on McNUtt.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners need to learn a lesson from the Giants and keep loading up on DL & OLBs. They have JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi & Canty. That's 4 players who can get after the QB very well and one big guy who's good at it too (Canty).

The Niners have Aldon, Justin, Ray Mac & Brooks. That's 2 excellend pass rushers, one big guy who can get after the QB and a decent pass rusher in Brooks. The Niners need depth there.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I think Brooks walks i hoping for OlB or WR in the 1st i believe in Cully and Brock and i think nelms will be good he was hurt this year but could be a ideal nickel

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is but they would be a fool to let him test the market

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who would be our 4LB then? If you got Smith, Bowman and Willis, dont tell me for 1 min he would let Brooks walk and start PH, who has done nothing

Draft or Free Agency? I don't know... I'd definitely prefer to keep Brooks because having Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Smith would be killer... but, there is a salary cap and the 49ers luck has always been that other teams want to break them up before they get too good. Brooks has put together some fairly decent years, and all it takes is a two sack game in the NFC Championship or Super Bowl and he could almost instantly be considered a top FA.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd go after an OLB even if Brooks re-signs. No guarantees Aldon is going to be able to do all the things an OLB needs to do to be an every down player.

There are a few players in the draft about whom I'd be excited to see in a Niner Uni. Brandon Thompson, Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy... maybe Jared Crick & Vinny Curry a little later. In FA Robert Mathis would be sweet. I've been calling for Tyler Brayton for a couple of year now as well. Wanted Alan Branch last offseason too.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching staff will need to decide whether Dobbs/williams/tukuafu will be able to contribute down the line. Our DL plays a lot of snaps during the season and they can easily be tired. Plus J. Smith isnt getting any younger.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just wanted to come back to this and point out that in Maiocco's player-by-player defensive breakdown of the game Saturday he stated Dobbs played exclusively on special teams and took no snaps on defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd go after an OLB even if Brooks re-signs. No guarantees Aldon is going to be able to do all the things an OLB needs to do to be an every down player.

There are a few players in the draft about whom I'd be excited to see in a Niner Uni. Brandon Thompson, Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy... maybe Jared Crick & Vinny Curry a little later. In FA Robert Mathis would be sweet. I've been calling for Tyler Brayton for a couple of year now as well. Wanted Alan Branch last offseason too.

agree with this line of thinking.

knowing what we know now (ie before free agency), my preference is for somebody who can pressure? on offense its all about the QB, but on defense its all about pressure.

i'd WISH for an every down OLB, but with more rush skills than Brooks or PH. someone like this is hard to find as is, plus we draft late round 1, its certainly wishing.

if not, add a 'situational' pass rusher that doesn't cost as much. in free agency, someone like a Laboy, if via draft, someone after round 1?