• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Bruce Allen trying to prove a point??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna eat your words in regard to Snyder huh??? I was hoping you would....You were sooo convinced that he would be going for the sexy name, and overpaying......give him some much needed and overdue love from the Shark!!!

Dude, thats kinda like giving your dog a treat because he finally realized he is supposed to do his business outside instead of in the living room. Im glad Snyder is actually NOT doing the Madden thing. But lets see how it works out and if it lasts.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys my point is, they have had three months to get ready for this. We all knew the major needs coming in. Im thrilled that we actually didnt pull a Danny and start handing out over the top contracts. Im glad they resigned Riley. How ever I think tagging Rak should have never come down to that and he should be on a long term deal. I think that with three months to get this thing going, the safety and CB position should have been the primary focus. We do kind of need starters in this area. IM willing to let it play out, but if we roll into the season saying lets see if Rambo has improved with no actual plan A in place, its asking for another bad year from the defense.

Fair enough. We also really don't know what happened behind the scenes with the Orakpo negotiations & there were also many other distractions that made this whole process somewhat difficult. They also have some time to obtain some starters - just not the top $$, sexy ones that always seem to blow up in the Redskins face anyhow.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, thats kinda like giving your dog a treat because he finally realized he is supposed to do his business outside instead of in the living room. Im glad Snyder is actually NOT doing the Madden thing. But lets see how it works out and if it lasts.

So you arent giving the props......

Figuered you wouldn't...had to add the...... see if it lasts to it huh???

As far as seeing how it works...yep we have to see, but we know how it DIDn't work when he was doing that......

You have to admitt that it looks like Dan is sitting back and letting bruce do it all.....and if he is sitting back letting Bruce do it....then..he must have done the same thing when Shanny was here, and he didnt have anything to do with opressuring the RGIII trade to get him.....

i agree we have a ways to go, and we need to get some safety help.....was just hoping that you would actually come out and say it.....dan has kept his word and is letting the FO he hired to their job for good or bad...but you can't

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you arent giving the props......

Figuered you wouldn't...had to add the...... see if it lasts to it huh???

As far as seeing how it works...yep we have to see, but we know how it DIDn't work when he was doing that......

You have to admitt that it looks like Dan is sitting back and letting bruce do it all.....and if he is sitting back letting Bruce do it....then..he must have done the same thing when Shanny was here, and he didnt have anything to do with opressuring the RGIII trade to get him.....

i agree we have a ways to go, and we need to get some safety help.....was just hoping that you would actually come out and say it.....dan has kept his word and is letting the FO he hired to their job for good or bad...but you can't

Wate.. I give him props for doing it. I just hope we dont go over board in trying to prove we are not the same old Skins. We NEED help on the defense. Its fine to not over pay. But we also need starters at Safety, another CB and at least one DL... not even going to touch the offense. If they prove the point that they wont over pay, but we end up starting backups again, its a mute point. So as i said, I am reserving judgement until the season. But my first impression was, we are proving a point that we are not the same old Redskins. I just hope we dont over prove the point because there were some guys we could have used, that signed reasonable deals yesterday... with other teams.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wate.. I give him props for doing it. I just hope we dont go over board in trying to prove we are not the same old Skins. We NEED help on the defense. Its fine to not over pay. But we also need starters at Safety, another CB and at least one DL... not even going to touch the offense. If they prove the point that they wont over pay, but we end up starting backups again, its a mute point. So as i said, I am reserving judgement until the season. But my first impression was, we are proving a point that we are not the same old Redskins. I just hope we dont over prove the point because there were some guys we could have used, that signed reasonable deals yesterday... with other teams.

Cmon. This isn't just a game for these guys - it is their job. They are not going to spend each day thinking "Hmm - what does Joe Fan think" or "I should not make this move since ESPN or the WP is going to badmouth me" Far from it - I am guessing that they basically don't care in either case except to try and put the best team possible on the field. Sure - they will make mistakes along the way, but I highly doubt that they are worrying about media or fan opinions prior to making - or not making - any moves.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon. This isn't just a game for these guys - it is their job. They are not going to spend each day thinking "Hmm - what does Joe Fan think" or "I should not make this move since ESPN or the WP is going to badmouth me" Far from it - I am guessing that they basically don't care in either case except to try and put the best team possible on the field. Sure - they will make mistakes along the way, but I highly doubt that they are worrying about media or fan opinions prior to making - or not making - any moves.

I agree to a point with what you say. But ultimately the fans pay the bills. And at some point if we keep putting a bad product on the field, the bottom line suffers. Hell it killed me to see some of the later home games in a half empty stadium... and I dont even make any money off of it. Like I have said, I like the not over spending approach. But we do still have needs to address. And if we dont over spend, but the end result is we are starting guys who shouldnt be starters again, I think we will all have the same questions I am simply voicing right now.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point with what you say. But ultimately the fans pay the bills. And at some point if we keep putting a bad product on the field, the bottom line suffers. Hell it killed me to see some of the later home games in a half empty stadium... and I dont even make any money off of it. Like I have said, I like the not over spending approach. But we do still have needs to address. And if we dont over spend, but the end result is we are starting guys who shouldnt be starters again, I think we will all have the same questions I am simply voicing right now.

Yes and no.....half empty stadiums suck, and they lose some revenue, and memorbalia sales migh suffer some, but the real money they make is from the tv contract...dont think for a second.....the fans not going to games or buysing as many shirts, jerseys for a year or 2 makes a huge difference in the $$$ becasue in the grand scheme of $$$$ it is a relatively small part

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.....half empty stadiums suck, and they lose some revenue, and memorbalia sales migh suffer some, but the real money they make is from the tv contract...dont think for a second.....the fans not going to games or buysing as many shirts, jerseys for a year or 2 makes a huge difference in the $$$ becasue in the grand scheme of $$$$ it is a relatively small part

I would bet that the percentage of the TV money each team gets has something to do with market share of a broadcast though. Meaning if no one is watching your games, your cut likely suffers. Forget the black out portion, the cable and dish providers can track who is watching what, and Im sure those numbers factor in to a degree. Otherwise Jacksonville wouldnt be the waste land that it is.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go read a similar thread on Extremeskins. Pretty good read. Someone made a pretty good pt on this topic. Quite a few of these big signings are for contending teams (e.g. Talib with Broncos). In their case it makes more sense because that player may make the difference now.

With the Skins it is a different situation that carries some big risks and complicating factors including 1.) if the player falls short it hurts them for many years as they are mainly in rebuilding mode & 2.) most likely these players will ask for more money from the Skins as they are viewed as more of a non-contender. Again - time will tell on these moves for all teams & the Skins have seen more than their fair share of FA failures that could justify their position in this case.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet that the percentage of the TV money each team gets has something to do with market share of a broadcast though. Meaning if no one is watching your games, your cut likely suffers. Forget the black out portion, the cable and dish providers can track who is watching what, and Im sure those numbers factor in to a degree. Otherwise Jacksonville wouldnt be the waste land that it is.

Barring the unforseen - this won't happen for the Redskins. Heck - even last year most fans watched the team pretty religiously until the very end when it was very depressing. The Skins still manage to be quite popular in spite of really not being good - save for a few seasons ago - for some time. Jacksonville is an aberration - they continue to put out a bad product, have no real tradition & are located in an area where people have roots to other teams. I can't think of any other NFL team that even comes close & I scratch my head wondering why they even have a team.

I don't think that the Redskins ever have to worry about making money. Remember - this is the NFL where hopes always rise with a new season. Even an 8-8 season (or close) next year will fill the seats and sell the merchandise. Even if they don't get there I (and many others) will still watch games & buy their crap.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal... again my issue isnt who we signed. IM glad we didnt sign Talib, and even Byrd. BUt what we have yet to address is my main concern. Get me a couple of true starting quality safety's and another solid CB and im good ith it. I just dont want to see us stuck starting backups and third stringers that we HOPE can step it up.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal... again my issue isnt who we signed. IM glad we didnt sign Talib, and even Byrd. BUt what we have yet to address is my main concern. Get me a couple of true starting quality safety's and another solid CB and im good ith it. I just dont want to see us stuck starting backups and third stringers that we HOPE can step it up.

Who exactly would you have signed on the contract they received?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bethea at 6 mil/season.

Mitchell at 5 mil/season.

You are absolutely brushing off both of our second year safeties in that case. That's 11 million on our safeties. You say we can't build a team by overpaying other people's free agents but you want to sign to high priced safeties? You also wanted to pay Riley 7 mil/season and RAK 11 mil/season.

Oh and we haven't even mentioned your corner you want to sign.

Do you not see the flaw in your logic?

Bethea is a good player and worth a good contract but he's going to be 30 in July. He won't survive his contract.

Mike Mitchell is a one year wonder that played behind an excellent front seven...one of the best fronts in football. He couldn't even start in Oakland and had to sign a one year deal with Carolina who did not sign him to be the starter...he just ended up the starter.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bethea at 6 mil/season.

Mitchell at 5 mil/season.

You are absolutely brushing off both of our second year safeties in that case. That's 11 million on our safeties. You say we can't build a team by overpaying other people's free agents but you want to sign to high priced safeties? You also wanted to pay Riley 7 mil/season and RAK 11 mil/season.

Oh and we haven't even mentioned your corner you want to sign.

Do you not see the flaw in your logic?

Bethea is a good player and worth a good contract but he's going to be 30 in July. He won't survive his contract.

Mike Mitchell is a one year wonder that played behind an excellent front seven...one of the best fronts in football. He couldn't even start in Oakland and had to sign a one year deal with Carolina who did not sign him to be the starter...he just ended up the starter.

Gk... one of our safetys is coming off a season ending injury. The other one simply isnt ready to be a starter. Sure I would have loved to sign both Bethea and Mitchell, but would have settled for signing ONE of them as we really have no starting safety's on roster at the moment. And that one year wonder, is likely better than any thing we have on roster at the moment.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gk... one of our safetys is coming off a season ending injury. The other one simply isnt ready to be a starter. Sure I would have loved to sign both Bethea and Mitchell, but would have settled for signing ONE of them as we really have no starting safety's on roster at the moment. And that one year wonder, is likely better than any thing we have on roster at the moment.

I would have settled for Mitchell before Bethea but it's not doom and gloom that we didn't blow a ton of money on guys that were aged or we deemed unproven to warrant that kind of contract. We will sign one starting safety in FA...there is little doubt. The other safety position will be manned by either one of our second year players. We can at least get a sense of their futures even if they are not great this season.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I can think is they are waiting for other big name cuts that are likely to occur.
The above average teams have made themselves better, we appear to be exactly the same...the pistol formation gave us the advantage in a weak division two years ago, Philly's offense had the advantage last year.
We appear to need (a)players that will help us beat the playoff teams "if" we were to make it. We have no one with that experience.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have settled for Mitchell before Bethea but it's not doom and gloom that we didn't blow a ton of money on guys that were aged or we deemed unproven to warrant that kind of contract. We will sign one starting safety in FA...there is little doubt. The other safety position will be manned by either one of our second year players. We can at least get a sense of their futures even if they are not great this season.

Pickin's are getting slim for a starting safety. As far as Rambo and Thomas, if we are going into the season with either as a starter, expect some of the same complaints as in previous years. We need dramatically better secondary play. And as much as yo will say maybe Haslett needs to be fired, that would simply mean another wasted season.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought whats his face whoulda been the DC by now...Raheem Morris. not saying thats good or bad.
But wow...I'm pulling for Haslett to really cut out those crazy blitzes and dropbacks.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought whats his face whoulda been the DC by now...Raheem Morris. not saying thats good or bad.
But wow...I'm pulling for Haslett to really cut out those crazy blitzes and dropbacks.

I said from jump, Haslett not Shanahan should have been fired. But once you fired Mike and Kyle, it was virtual suicide to then fire Haslett too. So now you got to live with the move. Now in order to not waste another season, you got to give Haslett not only the freedom to run the defense, but the players to make it work.