• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by comeback you mean that pass coming back the other way for 6, sure it has to be Flacco.

Flacco was a favorite over Baker. Hamlin was still overall favorite which is fucking stupid

of the impactful players I'd go Baker at this stage

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco was a favorite over Baker. Hamlin was still overall favorite which is fucking stupid

Being alive and on an active roster is a bigger comeback than finding another NFL team to give a former winning QB a shot. It is a weird circumstance for an NFL award for sure.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baker certainly made an epic comeback. It's tough for a QB in a new system, and the fact of the matter is that the Bucs improved throughout the season and he played a big role in that. I still think it's a paper team, and likely will be a near .500 team next year if they don't land any big new players, but that doesn't take away from the impressive season Baker and the Bucs had this year.

I imagine they give Baker another season in TB if they can sign him to a 2 year or less contract. Throw $25-$30 million at him and see what he can do. The NFC South isn't likely to improve much, and they could be a playoff team the next few seasons....even with Baker.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being alive and on an active roster is a bigger comeback than finding another NFL team to give a former winning QB a shot. It is a weird circumstance for an NFL award for sure.

it's not like they cut his legs off man. I'm glad he made it obviously but it's ridiculous to rob players who earned it on the field.

Give him some kind of separate acknowledgement.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, let's include them along with the 100 or so games he's played. Playoff performances are important. Let's look at his playoff stats, since you don't really want to recognize any other stats in evaluating him as a player.

View attachment 351331

Have you noticed the upward trend in his playoff stats? Young players tend to get better with more games. Goff seems to be showing that so far in his movement from 2017 playoffs to his current playoffs.

1705429093509.png

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not like they cut his legs off man. I'm glad he made it obviously but it's ridiculous to rob players who earned it on the field.

Give him some kind of separate acknowledgement.

It's a throw-away award anyway IMO. The real reward is changing the direction of your career. Not sure Flacco has really done that. He's more of a "surprise cameo in a TV series".

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a throw-away award anyway IMO. The real reward is changing the direction of your career. Not sure Flacco has really done that. He's more of a "surprise cameo in a TV series".

I'd give it to Baker yes. That's what I've said

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably would too, but I understand the support for Hamlin. Tough to watch a guy nearly die on the field.

I too don't get it. In my opinion, it just waters down the award. It should be given for great play on the field, not simply being alive. The guy isn't even on the roster if he didn't have a great story. Just my two cents.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too don't get it. In my opinion, it just waters down the award. It should be given for great play on the field, not simply being alive. The guy isn't even on the roster if he didn't have a great story. Just my two cents.

Tough crowd. "Sorry dude, all you did was come back from death's door when everyone thought you would never play football again. Baker continuing to be a mediocre QB is too important to recognize."

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough crowd. "Sorry dude, all you did was come back from death's door when everyone thought you would never play football again. Baker continuing to be a mediocre QB is too important to recognize."

Again, is it a social award or is it a performance award? I think I would prefer it being a performance award, like it has always been as far as I can tell. Just my two cents.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, is it a social award or is it a performance award? I think I would prefer it being a performance award, like it has always been as far as I can tell. Just my two cents.

Based on recent history, it's yet another award dominated by QBs. I guess non "skill-position" players are too difficult to evaluate.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on recent history, it's yet another award dominated by QBs. I guess non "skill-position" players are too difficult to evaluate.
Again, I don't know the criteria, but I imagine the criteria was based on their performance on the field and not simply that they nearly died, and now they can stand on the sidelines of an NFL team. Seems a little like a waste of an award to me if they give it to him.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Goff had a monster game when they played in Tampa earlier in the season:
View attachment 351325

Although, Philly had a monster game against them earlier in the season and we see where that got them last night! :D

It seems in the NFL when there is a rematch in the same season the team that lost the first time has much better results in the 2nd game with the parity in the NFL. Kind of like on Thanksgiving day

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker certainly made an epic comeback. It's tough for a QB in a new system, and the fact of the matter is that the Bucs improved throughout the season and he played a big role in that. I still think it's a paper team, and likely will be a near .500 team next year if they don't land any big new players, but that doesn't take away from the impressive season Baker and the Bucs had this year.

I imagine they give Baker another season in TB if they can sign him to a 2 year or less contract. Throw $25-$30 million at him and see what he can do. The NFC South isn't likely to improve much, and they could be a playoff team the next few seasons....even with Baker.
I don't know how much BM will make in the near future, but he earned a cool $2M bonus last night for winning a playoff game and hitting all his incentive marks for the season. More to come if he and the Bucs win at Detroit.

MSN

Last edited: