• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Dilemma

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's an age-old question in all sports, and I'm interested in hearing other's take on this topic.

Are you more loyal to the logo on the front, or the name on the back.

First, I think the term "name on the back" is a dirty phrase.

I like to look at it as the Logo on the front, and the people that wear it. It's a subtle difference, and I'm sure some won't appreciate it, but it's important to me.

So here's a question: How important is loyalty to the players for you?

=============

For me, I ALWAYS rooted for Team Canada when I was younger for three reasons. It just so happened that my three favorite players always competed for Team Canada, and were likely on the ice at the same time.. I'm not Canadian, but it's interesting to realize that at least in these instances, I would always cheer for the trio of Stevens, Nidermayer, and Brodeur. It definitely didn't help that guys like Richter were tending the American net.

In other sports, there have been times where I sided with the man wearing the logo, over the logo itself. Bernie Williams is the perfect example. As a Yankees fan I was furious with the notion that they were kicking him to the curb. I was also furious with the entire Derek Jeter scenario.

Bringing this self reflection back to hockey, I look towards the ominous Parise signing. It makes me incredibly nervous when you look at the chain of events leading to the impending negotiations. Hasn't gotten to the second round in years. Hasn't had any coaching stability. Has watched players that he was close to be let go. Parise was quoted recently saying that he was close to guys like Rupp and Langenbrunner. He's watched them get shipped out then watched a summer where we went out of our way to sign Hedberg and Volchenkov as ways to entice Kovalchuk to stay.

So what if Parise were to leave? Would you blame him? Would you support him? Could you possibly start to cheer for him on his new team?

For me, I could forgive him, and 99% of my anger would be directed at Devils management. This isn't going to be a gomez scenario where he had one good year, and then wanted to be paid an astronomical amount of money. This is a franchise player. much more so than Kovalchuk. Kovy's like a Marion Hossa, or a Dany Heatley. These are franchise's. Yes they score lots of goals, but they're not "franchise" players.

Parise plays the game in all the right ways. He's incredibly defensively, he has the david vs goliath bit going for him because of his size. He's an american hero, and will probably win a gold medal for the US if the NHL continues to participate in the Olympics.

So after all that twisting and wandering discourse, I have to believe that I would still cheer for Zach with as much fervor as I do now. I never felt that way for Nieds, or Gomez, or Gionta, or Rafalski. I do feel like that with Parise, and I hope that I can channel that into a lifetime Devil, not someone wearing a different sweater.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Terrific post, and i'm of the same general opinion as yourself. I personally would support the Devils no matter happens. But for Parise also, i just like him as player and have done since he came to shine. I would not be number one surprised if he doesn't resign, and number two absolutely wouldn't blame him.

I'd still cheer him and want him to do well whereever he plays and as you said would have a problem with management who were unable to secure him. It's odd i'm almost already accepting him leaving i just can't seem to shake that idea at the moment.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting ready for a road trip so I dont have time to give a deep answer, but a simply one is I cheer for the logo on the front, and sometimes the player. If Parise walks, I'll still cheer from him like I do Gionta and Madden. I dont cheer for Gomez because I didnt even like him when he was a Devil.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always cheered for the logo. No player is greater than his team. Even Wayne Gretzky couldn't win a Cup after leaving Edmonton. And Edmonton did win another Cup after Gretzky left.

If Parise left, I wouldn't be upset with him. I'd be upset that he left. I would try to find out how he was doing on his new team but wouldn't get his jersey. I'm a fan of the New Jersey Devils and ONLY the New Jersey Devils when it comes to the NHL.

I couldn't stand Mike Richter either, but when he put that USA jersey on ,he was my goalie and I rooted for him like crazy. I also rooted for the Devils who played for other countries, just not when they played the USA. They don't call me Patriotic J for nothing, haha.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
parise is a going to be a niedermeyer situation.

obv not to be with his brother but the money is going to be there.

it will come down to does he want to stay or does he want to go.

personally i'm fine with throwin 7 mil a year at zach

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've always cheered for the logo. No player is greater than his team. Even Wayne Gretzky couldn't win a Cup after leaving Edmonton. And Edmonton did win another Cup after Gretzky left.

If Parise left, I wouldn't be upset with him. I'd be upset that he left. I would try to find out how he was doing on his new team but wouldn't get his jersey. I'm a fan of the New Jersey Devils and ONLY the New Jersey Devils when it comes to the NHL.

I couldn't stand Mike Richter either, but when he put that USA jersey on ,he was my goalie and I rooted for him like crazy. I also rooted for the Devils who played for other countries, just not when they played the USA. They don't call me Patriotic J for nothing, haha.

The thing that I find most interesting is that for me, there's no distinction between the Jersey (aka the team) and Marty and Zach. It's like neither could be what it is without the other.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always root for the team ahead of players. If a player is hanging on too long or wants a monster contract I prefer the team cut ties. Always rooted for USA and cursed Marty for being so good in 02.