• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Article

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the OL will be any worse than it was last year. Jonathan Martin was a disaster, Boone really struggled early on, and Iupati's pass blocking was bad. Anthony Davis struggled when he was able to actually get on the field. And Marcus Martin was overwhelmed as a rookie. I think the OL could be comparable or even better - at least at pass blocking - this season.

I hope it is not worse. It could be really bad or really good. There will be new faces on the line, or changes at the least. It will take some time for continuity. Plus the 49ers are changing to a different scheme. The good news is Forrester is supposed to be a really good and well respected Oline coach from what I've read

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! I guess you are right, how could it be? But I'm not sure how it gets any better when all those starters are gone and the replacements who couldn't beat those guys out last year are going to be the starters now. You sure do keep a positive outlook, I'll say that for you.

This is not the case. The only player you could say that about is Looney and I don't believe Looney is a serious contender for a starting job. Kilgore and Boone were both starters last year. Pears wasn't with the team. Brandon Thomas was a redshirted rookie. Spent the season on injured reserve. Marcus Martin was a 20 year old injured rookie who missed training camp. There was a never an intention to start him and he only did so later in the season due to injury.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems reasonable that if he was jumpy and fled the pocket early with an All Pro O line, it'll be even worse with new people who have not worked together. No more Gore is even going to put more emphasis on Kaepernick's play as well.

That line was no all pro line when it came to pass blocking and the run blocking wasn't all that great either due to injuries,

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not the case. The only player you could say that about is Looney and I don't believe Looney is a serious contender for a starting job. Kilgore and Boone were both starters last year. Pears wasn't with the team. Brandon Thomas was a redshirted rookie. Spent the season on injured reserve. Marcus Martin was a 20 year old injured rookie who missed training camp. There was a never an intention to start him and he only did so later in the season due to injury.
I don't believe that a line that consists of a bunch of guys with little to no experience of playing together, or at least playing well together, can do a good enough job to protect a QB with happy feet like Kaepernick. We'll soon find out I guess. We gotta go with what we got.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that a line that consists of a bunch of guys with little to no experience of playing together, or at least playing well together, can do a good enough job to protect a QB with happy feet like Kaepernick. We'll soon find out I guess. We gotta go with what we got.

I am not arguing the line is concern. But you said, and the replacements who couldn't beat those guys out last year are going to be the starters now. I was disputing that because it is factually inaccurate. With the exception of Looney, none of the current oline players were backups from last year because of skill level.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not arguing the line is concern. But you said, and the replacements who couldn't beat those guys out last year are going to be the starters now. I was disputing that because it is factually inaccurate. With the exception of Looney, none of the current oline players were backups from last year because of skill level.
What about Martin, the Center from SC, wasn't he playing behind Kilgore and expected to start this year as they move Kilgore over to another line position?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Martin, the Center from SC, wasn't he playing behind Kilgore and expected to start this year as they move Kilgore over to another line position?

Yes, Martin was a backup but as I stated earlier, it wasn't that he failed to beat out a starter last year, he wasn't expected to even play last year. He was a 20 year old rookie who missed training camp because of injury. He was a top prospect that slipped in the draft because of injury and expected to sit out his rookie season. He had to start because of the injury to Kilgore. The team is not moving Kilgore. Assuming Kilgore is healthy again, Kilgore is penciled in to be the starting center and Martin is being looked at for a Guard spot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect Kilgore to start at C if he's healthy. In that scenario, Martin competes for one of the OG spots.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Young rookies often don't start their first year. Particularly on this team in the recent past. It doesn't mean they aren't as good or an upgrade. Technically, Haralson started over Aldon Smith when Smith was a rookie. It's not like Smith wasn't any good because Haralson "beat him out" for the spot.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Martin was a backup but as I stated earlier, it wasn't that he failed to beat out a starter last year, he wasn't expected to even play last year. He was a 20 year old rookie who missed training camp because of injury. He was a top prospect that slipped in the draft because of injury and expected to sit out his rookie season. He had to start because of the injury to Kilgore. The team is not moving Kilgore. Assuming Kilgore is healthy again, Kilgore is penciled in to be the starting center and Martin is being looked at for a Guard spot.
Oh. I thought it was the other way around. I had high hopes for Martin as a Center.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Kilgore to start at C if he's healthy. In that scenario, Martin competes for one of the OG spots.
Isn't he in trouble or facing a suspension for something he did back in Tennessee or someplace? Has that been resolved?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was charged with public intoxication last year and the charges were eventually dismissed