• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting article about Wilson...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Jikkle, post: 6884009, member: 1728"]Unless Wilson is actually asking for $25 million and standing firm on it a deal should've been done already if the Seahawks are willing to pay him as a top dollar QB. I don't think Wilson would be that married to the idea of being the highest paid player that he would refuse a contract that puts him around the big boys.

I don't disagree with your logic that finding a good QB is very difficult it's just that I don't think the Seahawks have the view that they need a QB as badly as a team like Green Bay or the Patriots to be successful.

Wilson has been an important part of the team but the Hawk's success has been mainly due to the defense and I don't think the Hawks are ignorant to that fact. Wilson is only able to be clutch and work his magic due to the defense keeping the score manageable. I mean do you beat the Saints in the playoffs last year or the Packers this past playoffs without the defense doing an amazing job? Probably not.

The issue with paying Wilson and why the Hawk's are balking right now in paying Wilson is not only does he tie up that cap space that prevents you paying other guys you also need to divert some of those limited resources into helping your investment in QB by improving the talent around him. If you're going to give him a huge contract and weaken other areas of your team you need him to make up for it by putting up more numbers and in order to do that you need to have playmakers and talent around him.

And looking at the moves the Hawks have made they are putting a lot of money into defense and will put even more into defense with the Wagner deal whenever that gets done.

I think the Hawks will eventually go higher than they would like to with their contract offer and it'll get done but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it doesn't get done as well.[/QUOTE]

Don't really know what he's asking for, but would not be shocked to hear the asking price starts at $25 million. As for the part about a deal should of been done by now, obviously there are some tough negotiations going on, because RW is not coming cheap.

As far as paying him making it harder to keep talent around him. Well yeah, course that true of about any playoff team and their QB once he gets to the second contract. This will just level the playing field around the NFL. The Seahawks were blessed to find a rookie they could ride with, but everyone knews that was coming to a end. I'm confident the Seahawks can deal with that.

At the end of the day, the Seahawks well pay more then they like, but it's still way better then trying to find the next QB.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither really desperately need each other which is why you have this standoff.

Out of all the teams in the league the Seahawks are one of the teams that never built their team around the QB position. PC built the team around defense and running the ball and just wanted a QB that was good but didn't need to be a superstar. They just happened to luck into RW but I don't think they ever planned or wanted to have a 20+ million a year QB because they wanted that money to spread out to other positions and not tied down to just one position.

Wilson on the other hand has his Super Bowl ring and once you have that you're always a Super Bowl winning QB. He could make a run at Brady and Montana but if he's real with himself he's unlikely to do that so the only thing left is the money. Wilson knows that if the Seahawks don't pay him somebody will so he has no reason to back off his demands and he can just bide his time until his payday comes.

While I think he's asking for highest QB money I do think RW wants to be paid in that upper echelon of elite QBs and I don't think the Seahawks are willing to that high for him. I just don't think the Seahawks believe he's worth weakening other areas of the team especially the defense.

I still lean on something getting done but the longer this goes on I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks hit RW with a non exclusive tag and see if any team is willing to give up two 1st round picks for him.

You're underestimating this kid's drive to be great.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Wilson is actually asking for $25 million and standing firm on it a deal should've been done already if the Seahawks are willing to pay him as a top dollar QB. I don't think Wilson would be that married to the idea of being the highest paid player that he would refuse a contract that puts him around the big boys.

I don't disagree with your logic that finding a good QB is very difficult it's just that I don't think the Seahawks have the view that they need a QB as badly as a team like Green Bay or the Patriots to be successful.

Wilson has been an important part of the team but the Hawk's success has been mainly due to the defense and I don't think the Hawks are ignorant to that fact. Wilson is only able to be clutch and work his magic due to the defense keeping the score manageable. I mean do you beat the Saints in the playoffs last year or the Packers this past playoffs without the defense doing an amazing job? Probably not.

The issue with paying Wilson and why the Hawk's are balking right now in paying Wilson is not only does he tie up that cap space that prevents you paying other guys you also need to divert some of those limited resources into helping your investment in QB by improving the talent around him. If you're going to give him a huge contract and weaken other areas of your team you need him to make up for it by putting up more numbers and in order to do that you need to have playmakers and talent around him.

And looking at the moves the Hawks have made they are putting a lot of money into defense and will put even more into defense with the Wagner deal whenever that gets done.

I think the Hawks will eventually go higher than they would like to with their contract offer and it'll get done but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it doesn't get done as well.

Yes the defense does a hell of a job, but the offense still needs to score points. RW may not be an Arron Rodgers type of QB but he's more vital to this offense then you think. Put Tavaris Jackson back there and the Hawks are probably a .500 team.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the defense does a hell of a job, but the offense still needs to score points. RW may not be an Arron Rodgers type of QB but he's more vital to this offense then you think. Put Tavaris Jackson back there and the Hawks are probably a .500 team.

It gets old when people act like Wilson benefits from the defense and Lynch, but they don't benefit from him. In 2011, the Hawks were 30th in TOP, since Wilson got here their average position has been 5th. Without Wilson, they're a .500 team with a top 10 D and run game, with him, they're the best running game and defense in the league, and top seed contender every year.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets old when people act like Wilson benefits from the defense and Lynch, but they don't benefit from him. In 2011, the Hawks were 30th in TOP, since Wilson got here their average position has been 5th. Without Wilson, they're a .500 team with a top 10 D and run game, with him, they're the best running game and defense in the league, and top seed contender every year.

Dead on! Everybody's numbers on offense have improved and the offense has run much smoother in recently memory. His body of work speaks volumns.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Wilson, the Hawks would be the Bills. You take your chances on replacing or compensating for loss at other positions, but you don't fuck with the QB once you got him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Wilson, the Hawks would be the Bills. You take your chances on replacing or compensating for loss at other positions, but you don't fuck with the QB once you got him.

That's right. Just for laughs I went for what else might the Seahawks do in a thread, but you know what? The only thing they can do is keep him here. Any thing else would be crazy.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. Just for laughs I went for what else might the Seahawks do in a thread, but you know what? The only thing they can do is keep him here. Any thing else would be crazy.

RW is staying, it's just a question of how much per that both sides will hash out.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead on! Everybody's numbers on offense have improved and the offense has run much smoother in recently memory. His body of work speaks volumns.

Not just the offense, Jersey. The whole team has run relatively smoothly since he put it together early in his rookie year. He takes pressure off of everyone. Too many seem to stop their evaluation of QB impact at passing yards, which I have no doubt he could pad his stats if he wanted to.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

It's not that the team doesn't benefit from having Wilson it's just that Wilson benefits more from the defense than the defense benefits from Wilson.

The NFC championship game against Green Bay is a prime example. The Seahawks don't win that game without Wilson being clutch when he needed to be but he's not in position to be clutch if the defense doesn't keep the score manageable. There isn't a lot of games where your QB can throw 4 INTs and put up the stat line he did and the score not getting out of hand fast.

Wilson is a good QB and he's much much better QB than TJ who's just an average QB if you want to be kind.

The million(s) dollar question is if Wilson is 20+ million good and that's what makes these contract negotiations interesting to watch because Wilson isn't throwing for 4000 yards and putting up 35 TDs a season like other top paid QBs so trying to quantify his value will be interesting to watch.

If it was me I would give him 20 million a year and I can see the Hawks doing the same but I don't see them giving him 25 million if he's actually demanding that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that the team doesn't benefit from having Wilson it's just that Wilson benefits more from the defense than the defense benefits from Wilson.

The NFC championship game against Green Bay is a prime example. The Seahawks don't win that game without Wilson being clutch when he needed to be but he's not in position to be clutch if the defense doesn't keep the score manageable. There isn't a lot of games where your QB can throw 4 INTs and put up the stat line he did and the score not getting out of hand fast.

Wilson is a good QB and he's much much better QB than TJ who's just an average QB if you want to be kind.

The million(s) dollar question is if Wilson is 20+ million good and that's what makes these contract negotiations interesting to watch because Wilson isn't throwing for 4000 yards and putting up 35 TDs a season like other top paid QBs so trying to quantify his value will be interesting to watch.

If it was me I would give him 20 million a year and I can see the Hawks doing the same but I don't see them giving him 25 million if he's actually demanding that.

So if RW wants $25 million and isn't backing down. What do the Seahawks do IYO?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if RW wants $25 million and isn't backing down. What do the Seahawks do IYO?

Pay him! You don't let a franchise QB walk into FA unless you have a franchise QB waiting in the wings like GB had. That is a rare occurance.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ultimately, they're going to have to make him the highest paid player. But that doesn't mean it has to cost 25 mil. Rodgers is making what? 22? Just beat that. I don't think Wilson is really expecting to be the highest paid player by 3 mil. That's unrealistic. But it doesn't hurt to ask, and what does he have to lose by standing by that high ass number until TC, then start coming down a little? If i was his agent, i would advise him to just sit tight until then, and just watch the teams offer go up and up. Which by all reports, they have.

I also think that if they don't make him the highest paid player, he has the balls to play his contract year out at 1.5 just to prove a point and keep demanding it next year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of this "highest paid" stuff is blown out of proportion by fans and media in large part because this is a unique situation in the NFL landscape where the best player (Rodgers) actually is considered by most to be the best player. But that's often not the case, often the highest paid players could be any one of 10-12 QBs arranged by who got contracts or extensions most recently. I mean, Rodgers has as strong a case as anyone for being #1, but how strong is Roethlisbergers case for #2? Meh, probably not convincing too many that he deserves to be there. Or Cam Newton in the 3 spot? Haha, I'm sure everyone is in agreement that he doesn't belong in that spot.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, they're going to have to make him the highest paid player. But that doesn't mean it has to cost 25 mil. Rodgers is making what? 22? Just beat that. I don't think Wilson is really expecting to be the highest paid player by 3 mil. That's unrealistic. But it doesn't hurt to ask, and what does he have to lose by standing by that high ass number until TC, then start coming down a little? If i was his agent, i would advise him to just sit tight until then, and just watch the teams offer go up and up. Which by all reports, they have.

I also think that if they don't make him the highest paid player, he has the balls to play his contract year out at 1.5 just to prove a point and keep demanding it next year.

That's a very high risk/reward game RW is playing.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would flip that quote around. I think it is more accurate to say that the Russell Wilson needs the Seahawks more than they need him.

With a healthy defense, Marshawn Lynch and Jimmy Graham, this is a 10-win team with Tavaris Jackson at quarterback.

You put Russell Wilson on the Browns or some of the other mediocfre to midddle of the pack teams, and he isn't goingg to make enough of a difference to put them over the top.

Wilson has already mapped out his post football career aspirations and I think that he thinks he needs to be in a bigger media market in order for him to launch those post foootall career aspirations. I see Wilson biding his time in Seattle while waiting ffor an opportunity in New York or chicao or one of the high profile franchises like Miami/New England/Green Bay/Dallas. Miami and Green Bay are seemingly without opportunities. But New England and Dallas could be wide open for him a couple years from now. And he could also become the QB of whatever team ultimately lands in Los Angeles.

I hear this a lot, and I think most people have it wrong. I don't think the Browns -- who have been terrible for a generation -- would be an immediate contender or even playoff team if all they did was add RW, but they would be a lot better in a few years after not having to constantly waste draft capital on the position that's the hardest to nail in the draft/development process. Andrew Luck isn't going to make the 2015 Browns contenders either. However, as someone mentioned up-thread, can you imagine what the Bills would be if they had a legit stud QB? You pair McCoy with RW, along with the WRs, and back that up with their defense, and that team would be an instant contender. This is pretty much why QBs are the highest paid players in the league.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh we'll see.

Tarvaris went 7-7 with a torn pec in his throwing arm and a defense that wasn't as good as 2011. No Bennett, Wagner >>>> Hawthorne, Aaron Curry was still starting (shudder) and Avril wasn't here either (nothing beat that rotation of Avril, Bennett, Clemons, that was Madden hacks).

Charlie f'ing Whitehurst went 0-2 and laid one of the biggest Seahawk QB eggs of all time at Cleveland no less.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, no Tavaris jackson. I don't want to see this team take 2 steps back.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you got it right. Rangers went full retard mode there, nobody sane would of said no to that deal.

The only reason it was stupid was because it crippled them financially. It's hard to say no to the idea of adding the game's best young player, A-Rod was only 24 or 25 at the time and was coming off of 3 straight 40 HR seasons. Over the next 10 years he had an average of 42 HRs a year, with a slash line of .299/.394/.577, while winning 3 MVP awards. A-Rod wasn't the cause of the Rangers problems, it was their lack of pitching.

If anyone was worth $25m per year, it was him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason it was stupid was because it crippled them financially. It's hard to say no to the idea of adding the game's best young player, A-Rod was only 24 or 25 at the time and was coming off of 3 straight 40 HR seasons. Over the next 10 years he had an average of 42 HRs a year, with a slash line of .299/.394/.577, while winning 3 MVP awards. A-Rod wasn't the cause of the Rangers problems, it was their lack of pitching.

If anyone was worth $25m per year, it was him.
Yet .....he wasn't as it turns out.