• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting article about Wilson...

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Wilson doesn't become our next A-Rod. I absolutely idolized A-Rod and he said all the right things regarding his contract negotiations. He said he loved the town and was going to remain a Mariner and that it wasn't about the money. Then, biggest contract ever to our divisional rivals. I was crushed.

Kids today put Wilson on the highest of pedestals. If Wilson talks the talk and then takes a can't refuse deal from some crap team that will ensure that the team can't afford any other talent, then it'll break a lot of hearts and will fly in the face of Wilson's perceived persona. I simply can't see that happening....

...just like with A-Rod

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Wilson doesn't become our next A-Rod. I absolutely idolized A-Rod and he said all the right things regarding his contract negotiations. He said he loved the town and was going to remain a Mariner and that it wasn't about the money. Then, biggest contract ever to our divisional rivals. I was crushed.

Kids today put Wilson on the highest of pedestals. If Wilson talks the talk and then takes a can't refuse deal from some crap team that will ensure that the team can't afford any other talent, then it'll break a lot of hearts and will fly in the face of Wilson's perceived persona. I simply can't see that happening....

...just like with A-Rod
Solid take, but the economics of the two sports is vastly different. As we sit right now, there's really no realistic chance he would be a UFA for two more seasons. Other than the deflated football fiasco, this is the biggest topic of the off-season, but I'm still convinced this gets worked out.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been such a long time and I never followed baseball back then that close, but I thought A-Rods demands were beyond ridiculous. We offered him a very large contract and he wanted even more and like his own private jet to games (didn't want to ride with team) and like a bunch of other ridiculous demands too. It was pretty obvious he wanted out of Seattle.

I don't think that's the case with Wilson. It wouldn't surprise me though if Wilson is thinking, "Okay, take out insurance, I've got Jimmy Graham now and some receiver weapons, Lynch is re-signed and will be running hard for his money... yah my O-Line is actually improved because the guys have another year and Unger was always injured anyway... and my defense just got a ton more depth and will hopefully be healthy. Let's see, if I have the insurance, just play out this year with a salary that isn't going anywhere anyway... HOLY CRAP I could get an even bigger contract with the cap increase and more flex from Seattle with Okung/Mebane/Lynch like gone or restructuring... and if Seattle wont pay me and I win another SBOWL a crap team will pay me an all time high NFL contract... like 5 years $150M!"

Wilson's not stupid and he and his agent know they have the upper hand on this. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson purposely goes into this season without a contract. He'll prob. net ANOTHER $15-20M by not doing that. He's still VERY young and many teams would give him a absolutely off the wall contract even after this year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-Rod didn't "demand" anything the Rangers just gave him everything so he couldn't turn it down. He went to the money and earned the Nickname Pay Rod. Had the Rangers not thrown that crazy contract at him he would have resigned with the M's. Can't blame him really, but i still do lol.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-Rod didn't "demand" anything the Rangers just gave him everything so he couldn't turn it down. He went to the money and earned the Nickname Pay Rod. Had the Rangers not thrown that crazy contract at him he would have resigned with the M's. Can't blame him really, but i still do lol.
Yeah, you got it right. Rangers went full retard mode there, nobody sane would of said no to that deal.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you got it right. Rangers went full retard mode there, nobody sane would of said no to that deal.

Funny how it worked out too. Rangers went straight to the dumps and the Mariners had its best years. I miss those years!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arod is a total loser.
Wilson is a remarkable young man in many ways, besides being a winner in football.
No comparison.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing there are no retard NFL franchises, lol

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been such a long time and I never followed baseball back then that close, but I thought A-Rods demands were beyond ridiculous. We offered him a very large contract and he wanted even more and like his own private jet to games (didn't want to ride with team) and like a bunch of other ridiculous demands too. It was pretty obvious he wanted out of Seattle.

I don't think that's the case with Wilson. It wouldn't surprise me though if Wilson is thinking, "Okay, take out insurance, I've got Jimmy Graham now and some receiver weapons, Lynch is re-signed and will be running hard for his money... yah my O-Line is actually improved because the guys have another year and Unger was always injured anyway... and my defense just got a ton more depth and will hopefully be healthy. Let's see, if I have the insurance, just play out this year with a salary that isn't going anywhere anyway... HOLY CRAP I could get an even bigger contract with the cap increase and more flex from Seattle with Okung/Mebane/Lynch like gone or restructuring... and if Seattle wont pay me and I win another SBOWL a crap team will pay me an all time high NFL contract... like 5 years $150M!"

Wilson's not stupid and he and his agent know they have the upper hand on this. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson purposely goes into this season without a contract. He'll prob. net ANOTHER $15-20M by not doing that. He's still VERY young and many teams would give him a absolutely off the wall contract even after this year.
I agree with some of that, but there is risk for Wilson playing out the final year with no extension. Aside from the injury possibility (which would cost him $$ even with insurance), he may regress or the team could possibly take a dip which would also cut into his bargaining power. He *may* get a slightly bigger contract by playing out the year, but then he also will not get the $40M bonus or whatever it would be to sign the extension now. If you ask me if I want $40M today or $45M a year from now, I think I'll take slightly less to have the money in hand now.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some of that, but there is risk for Wilson playing out the final year with no extension. Aside from the injury possibility (which would cost him $$ even with insurance), he may regress or the team could possibly take a dip which would also cut into his bargaining power. He *may* get a slightly bigger contract by playing out the year, but then he also will not get the $40M bonus or whatever it would be to sign the extension now. If you ask me if I want $40M today or $45M a year from now, I think I'll take slightly less to have the money in hand now.
Good points. The cost may also rise depending on what Luck's new deal is? So 40 now could also save the franchise a few nickels. If I were Seattle I'd try to get that deal done prior to Luck's

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would flip that quote around. I think it is more accurate to say that the Russell Wilson needs the Seahawks more than they need him.

With a healthy defense, Marshawn Lynch and Jimmy Graham, this is a 10-win team with Tavaris Jackson at quarterback.

You put Russell Wilson on the Browns or some of the other mediocfre to midddle of the pack teams, and he isn't goingg to make enough of a difference to put them over the top.

Wilson has already mapped out his post football career aspirations and I think that he thinks he needs to be in a bigger media market in order for him to launch those post foootall career aspirations. I see Wilson biding his time in Seattle while waiting ffor an opportunity in New York or chicao or one of the high profile franchises like Miami/New England/Green Bay/Dallas. Miami and Green Bay are seemingly without opportunities. But New England and Dallas could be wide open for him a couple years from now. And he could also become the QB of whatever team ultimately lands in Los Angeles.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would flip that quote around. I think it is more accurate to say that the Russell Wilson needs the Seahawks more than they need him.

With a healthy defense, Marshawn Lynch and Jimmy Graham, this is a 10-win team with Tavaris Jackson at quarterback.

You put Russell Wilson on the Browns or some of the other mediocfre to midddle of the pack teams, and he isn't goingg to make enough of a difference to put them over the top.

Wilson has already mapped out his post football career aspirations and I think that he thinks he needs to be in a bigger media market in order for him to launch those post foootall career aspirations. I see Wilson biding his time in Seattle while waiting ffor an opportunity in New York or chicao or one of the high profile franchises like Miami/New England/Green Bay/Dallas. Miami and Green Bay are seemingly without opportunities. But New England and Dallas could be wide open for him a couple years from now. And he could also become the QB of whatever team ultimately lands in Los Angeles.

I think the Seahawks do need RW more just by looking at the land scape of the QB's around league. Franchise changing QB's don't come very often and I would hate to be right back into playing the musical QB game. Tavaris Jackson is an ok back up for a game or two but he doesn't have the talent to lead a team to a 10 win season. I still firmly believe that he will sign a contract and be a Seahawk for a long time.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Seahawks do need RW more just by looking at the land scape of the QB's around league. Franchise changing QB's don't come very often and I would hate to be right back into playing the musical QB game. Tavaris Jackson is an ok back up for a game or two but he doesn't have the talent to lead a team to a 10 win season. I still firmly believe that he will sign a contract and be a Seahawk for a long time.

Yeah I agree, just can't see this not working out for RW and the Seahawks.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree, just can't see this not working out for RW and the Seahawks.

JS/PC worked too hard to get this franchise back on the map. I just don't see them letting RW head into FA.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Neither really desperately need each other which is why you have this standoff.

Out of all the teams in the league the Seahawks are one of the teams that never built their team around the QB position. PC built the team around defense and running the ball and just wanted a QB that was good but didn't need to be a superstar. They just happened to luck into RW but I don't think they ever planned or wanted to have a 20+ million a year QB because they wanted that money to spread out to other positions and not tied down to just one position.

Wilson on the other hand has his Super Bowl ring and once you have that you're always a Super Bowl winning QB. He could make a run at Brady and Montana but if he's real with himself he's unlikely to do that so the only thing left is the money. Wilson knows that if the Seahawks don't pay him somebody will so he has no reason to back off his demands and he can just bide his time until his payday comes.

While I think he's asking for highest QB money I do think RW wants to be paid in that upper echelon of elite QBs and I don't think the Seahawks are willing to that high for him. I just don't think the Seahawks believe he's worth weakening other areas of the team especially the defense.

I still lean on something getting done but the longer this goes on I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks hit RW with a non exclusive tag and see if any team is willing to give up two 1st round picks for him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither really desperately need each other which is why you have this standoff.

Out of all the teams in the league the Seahawks are one of the teams that never built their team around the QB position. PC built the team around defense and running the ball and just wanted a QB that was good but didn't need to be a superstar. They just happened to luck into RW but I don't think they ever planned or wanted to have a 20+ million a year QB because they wanted that money to spread out to other positions and not tied down to just one position.

Wilson on the other hand has his Super Bowl ring and once you have that you're always a Super Bowl winning QB. He could make a run at Brady and Montana but if he's real with himself he's unlikely to do that so the only thing left is the money. Wilson knows that if the Seahawks don't pay him somebody will so he has no reason to back off his demands and he can just bide his time until his payday comes.

While I think he's asking for highest QB money I do think RW wants to be paid in that upper echelon of elite QBs and I don't think the Seahawks are willing to that high for him. I just don't think the Seahawks believe he's worth weakening other areas of the team especially the defense.

I still lean on something getting done but the longer this goes on I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks hit RW with a non exclusive tag and see if any team is willing to give up two 1st round picks for him.

Long time since you've been around Jikkle. Good to hear from you again.

That being said, I so disagree with what you posted. Way to hard to find a QB, so the Seahawks are going keep him right here. This stuff about never intended to have a $20 million dollar QB is silly. No way to the Seahawks want to go back to pre RW. Also finding young QBs is getting harder all the time, because they are coming into the league not being able to run a NFL style of offense. I give you Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel as examples, I could add more.

Stay in touch Jikkle. :suds:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Long time since you've been around Jikkle. Good to hear from you again.

That being said, I so disagree with what you posted. Way to hard to find a QB, so the Seahawks are going keep him right here. This stuff about never intended to have a $20 million dollar QB is silly. No way to the Seahawks want to go back to pre RW. Also finding young QBs is getting harder all the time, because they are coming into the league not being able to run a NFL style of offense. I give you Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel as examples, I could add more.

Stay in touch Jikkle. :suds:

Unless Wilson is actually asking for $25 million and standing firm on it a deal should've been done already if the Seahawks are willing to pay him as a top dollar QB. I don't think Wilson would be that married to the idea of being the highest paid player that he would refuse a contract that puts him around the big boys.

I don't disagree with your logic that finding a good QB is very difficult it's just that I don't think the Seahawks have the view that they need a QB as badly as a team like Green Bay or the Patriots to be successful.

Wilson has been an important part of the team but the Hawk's success has been mainly due to the defense and I don't think the Hawks are ignorant to that fact. Wilson is only able to be clutch and work his magic due to the defense keeping the score manageable. I mean do you beat the Saints in the playoffs last year or the Packers this past playoffs without the defense doing an amazing job? Probably not.

The issue with paying Wilson and why the Hawk's are balking right now in paying Wilson is not only does he tie up that cap space that prevents you paying other guys you also need to divert some of those limited resources into helping your investment in QB by improving the talent around him. If you're going to give him a huge contract and weaken other areas of your team you need him to make up for it by putting up more numbers and in order to do that you need to have playmakers and talent around him.

And looking at the moves the Hawks have made they are putting a lot of money into defense and will put even more into defense with the Wagner deal whenever that gets done.

I think the Hawks will eventually go higher than they would like to with their contract offer and it'll get done but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it doesn't get done as well.