• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injury Thread - 2021

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Long is heading to the 10-day IL with a lower back strain. Chadwick Tromp has been recalled.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Beede was not optioned to Sacramento:
Beede began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento on May 6, but he struggled to regain his control and posted a 6.56 ERA with 32 walks and 40 strikeouts over 35 2/3 innings in 12 starts. Still, Kapler said the Giants believe the rush of returning to the Majors could help sharpen Beede’s stuff moving forward.
“His control was not great on his rehab assignment,” Kapler said. “We feel like this extra adrenaline may help his focus and give him a chance to really find that control. As his control improves, we also think his command has a chance to improve. ... We think he has all the talent and ability to improve on both of those. We think that this gives him an opportunity to show us that he’s ready to do that.”

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Beede was not optioned to Sacramento:
Beede began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento on May 6, but he struggled to regain his control and posted a 6.56 ERA with 32 walks and 40 strikeouts over 35 2/3 innings in 12 starts. Still, Kapler said the Giants believe the rush of returning to the Majors could help sharpen Beede’s stuff moving forward.
“His control was not great on his rehab assignment,” Kapler said. “We feel like this extra adrenaline may help his focus and give him a chance to really find that control. As his control improves, we also think his command has a chance to improve. ... We think he has all the talent and ability to improve on both of those. We think that this gives him an opportunity to show us that he’s ready to do that.”

That sounds like wishful thinking. Since the thread for the that draft he was taken even back then control was the question. I don't see how this will work. I think he will eventually have to be optioned again to get more work but it probably means he will need to be exposed if I remember correctly. He may end up being some other teams rehabilitation project if we can't get him sent back down for more work. I think he will need more time down on the farm whoever he ends up with.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like wishful thinking. Since the thread for the that draft he was taken even back then control was the question. I don't see how this will work. I think he will eventually have to be optioned again to get more work but it probably means he will need to be exposed if I remember correctly. He may end up being some other teams rehabilitation project if we can't get him sent back down for more work. I think he will need more time down on the farm whoever he ends up with.
I don't think I've ever heard an MLB manager talk about the reason for a pitcher being brought up to the big leagues due to control. Usually, that is what gets a guy sent down to AAA (or AA). This probably Beede's last real chance with the Giants and so they've decided to give it to him regardless of how he looked in Sacramento. He does have one option year left. His contract was first purchased by the Giants after the 2017 season so his first option year was used in 2018 and the second option year in 2019. He was on the 60 day IL all of 2020, which is why he has one more option year left. Maybe they hope to save it for 2022, I don't know. Just seems weird to give a guy who couldn't get through 5 innings in 2 months worth of AAA starts, and who couldn't keep runners off base or from scoring, another chance at the big league level.
I am rooting for him, though. Maybe, in a weird way, this really does work.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, we get Kevin Gausman and Buster Posey back today. Aaron Sanchez should be close to returning. He had an encouraging (but not great) rehab start with Sacramento on Saturday. I assume he'll make at least one more rehab start.
It is rumored that both Reyes Moronta and Brandon Belt will start rehab assignments soon. Tommy LaStella is supposed to get evaluated today for a clearer picture when he can re-start his rehab.
Still no word on Evan Longoria, Jaylin Davis and Sammy Long.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, we get Kevin Gausman and Buster Posey back today. Aaron Sanchez should be close to returning. He had an encouraging (but not great) rehab start with Sacramento on Saturday. I assume he'll make at least one more rehab start.
It is rumored that both Reyes Moronta and Brandon Belt will start rehab assignments soon. Tommy LaStella is supposed to get evaluated today for a clearer picture when he can re-start his rehab.
Still no word on Evan Longoria, Jaylin Davis and Sammy Long.
Longo isn’t eligible to come off the IL until at least Aug 8, IIRC. Long, I believe, starts rehab this week as does Davis.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longo isn’t eligible to come off the IL until at least Aug 8, IIRC. Long, I believe, starts rehab this week as does Davis.
Considering the severity of his injury and the layoff time on the IL, I would think Longoria would need to begin a rehab assignment in the next couple of weeks to be ready to come off the IL on August 8th.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a lefty/righty thing, but I find it pretty interesting that Vosler is up and not Doobie...he is killing AAA pitching.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAA West? Seriously?

Was this a Manfred brainchild?

When is Theo taking over?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reyes Moronta should be activated no later than a week from today. His rehab assignment started July 22nd, it has not been interrupted (yet) and he is not coming back from TJ surgery so the Giants are not able to extend past the 30 days allowed on a rehab assignment for pitchers.
In 10 appearances with the RiverCats, he's gone 8 innings, giving up 3 earned runs on 6 hits and 8(!) walks while striking out 7 batters. I'd like to say most of the rough numbers are from his first appearances, but he's given up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks, with just 1 strikeouts, getting only 3 outs total.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reyes Moronta should be activated no later than a week from today. His rehab assignment started July 22nd, it has not been interrupted (yet) and he is not coming back from TJ surgery so the Giants are not able to extend past the 30 days allowed on a rehab assignment for pitchers.
In 10 appearances with the RiverCats, he's gone 8 innings, giving up 3 earned runs on 6 hits and 8(!) walks while striking out 7 batters. I'd like to say most of the rough numbers are from his first appearances, but he's given up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks, with just 1 strikeouts, getting only 3 outs total.
Didn't look good yesterday...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 4 known injured players with possibilities of returning this season (Beede, Delaplane, L Gonzalez and Nunez are all done for the year), two of which are on the active roster. These are the known updates on them:
Longoria - expected to be ready after Sunday. Will most likely sit out tomorrow's game.
DeSclafani - was supposed to know more about his next start after him playing catch today. Haven't heard the results on that yet.
Cueto - currently in the DR, due to a death in the family, but expected to be ready sometime between August 24th and 26th.
Moronta - his rehab is up tomorrow, barring a "setback". His last appearance was two days ago and it was awful. He faced 6 batters and gave up 3 hits and 3 walks, while failing to record an out. It was his 3rd straight appearance where he allowed at least 1 run. He was looking better early in August, when his first 5 appearances were clean outings, going 4.1 innings, giving up only 1 hit and 2 walks. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My guess - Either they shut him down for the season or activate him tomorrow.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 4 known injured players with possibilities of returning this season (Beede, Delaplane, L Gonzalez and Nunez are all done for the year), two of which are on the active roster. These are the known updates on them:
Longoria - expected to be ready after Sunday. Will most likely sit out tomorrow's game.
DeSclafani - was supposed to know more about his next start after him playing catch today. Haven't heard the results on that yet.
Cueto - currently in the DR, due to a death in the family, but expected to be ready sometime between August 24th and 26th.
Moronta - his rehab is up tomorrow, barring a "setback". His last appearance was two days ago and it was awful. He faced 6 batters and gave up 3 hits and 3 walks, while failing to record an out. It was his 3rd straight appearance where he allowed at least 1 run. He was looking better early in August, when his first 5 appearances were clean outings, going 4.1 innings, giving up only 1 hit and 2 walks. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My guess - Either they shut him down for the season or activate him tomorrow.
Longo is hurt again?