• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries.....

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 11 players who have suffered season ending injuries thus far. There is no consistent answer as to why. Personally, I think strength and conditioning is so superior nowadays that it surpasses what are muscles, tendons, joints, etc. were meant to do.

Currently, there is one team in the NFL that has suffered no injuries thus far and that would be the Bengals. The thread below shows all teams and their injury situation to date.

NFL Football Injuries - CBSSports.com

What is your reason players seem to be getting injured at an alarming rate?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking it is an aberration. Just a cycle that will reverse. Soon hopefully

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could shake-up the whole order of things - pretty scary.
Patriots have a lot of good back-ups. None of them look ready.....
It just shows how important depth is.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys getting hit with injuries again?
Starting DT, Corey Peters ACL, out for season. Starting guard, Mike Iupati, arthroscopic knee surgery, out 3-8 weeks. About 5 other nagging hamstring type injuries.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Reddit

• "The injuries may or may not be increasing.
    • Social media / Fantasy Football may just make them more high profile. To date I haven't seen great data, what i have seen seems to say yes more injuries are occurring
    The increased off season rest time. (CBA)
    • Players are out of shape coming back into camp in terms of being able to do football moves (eg cutting sharply)
    Emphasis on body tackling
    • In an effort to reduce brain trauma players are tackling lower, meaning more hits to those vulnerable areas.
    Players are bigger, stronger and more athletic.
    • Ligaments and tendons don't "scale" to player size or strength. So injury rates rise as players get too big/strong for their own good. (I've heard this is a bigger impact for linemen)."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Reddit

• "The injuries may or may not be increasing.
    • Social media / Fantasy Football may just make them more high profile. To date I haven't seen great data, what i have seen seems to say yes more injuries are occurring
    The increased off season rest time. (CBA)
    • Players are out of shape coming back into camp in terms of being able to do football moves (eg cutting sharply)
    Emphasis on body tackling
    • In an effort to reduce brain trauma players are tackling lower, meaning more hits to those vulnerable areas.
    Players are bigger, stronger and more athletic.
    • Ligaments and tendons don't "scale" to player size or strength. So injury rates rise as players get too big/strong for their own good. (I've heard this is a bigger impact for linemen)."
"increased off season time -
The players are pushing harder in a shorter period. This causes a lot of problems with hamstrings, groins, etc. Muscles that need to be strengthened gradually. Broken bones in foot are caused by pushing hard when muscles are fatigued. Yes, the lack of training is a problem and the players are making up for it (or not) without trainers observing......

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could shake-up the whole order of things - pretty scary.
Patriots have a lot of good back-ups. None of them look ready.....
no way 45 - 7 had nothing to do with all the hurt colts it was 100 % how great the ne cheaters were .

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 11 players who have suffered season ending injuries thus far. There is no consistent answer as to why. Personally, I think strength and conditioning is so superior nowadays that it surpasses what are muscles, tendons, joints, etc. were meant to do.

Currently, there is one team in the NFL that has suffered no injuries thus far and that would be the Bengals. The thread below shows all teams and their injury situation to date.

players are too pumped up these days, the ligaments and tendons simply cant handle the extra stress

Reactions: gb2

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today. And this is just ACLs :L

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why my fantasy draft isn't until late Sunday

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

totally agree with your premise here. Also, these players have so much pressure to stay in shape all year, they might not be giving their bodies a chance to heal in the off season.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I said that I hate pre-season football?

Well, I do.

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're still juicin, which breaks down your ligaments, tendons, cartlidge, and weakens the joints.

It ain't rocket science.
Not all, but many.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're still juicin, which breaks down your ligaments, tendons, cartlidge, and weakens the joints.

It ain't rocket science.
Not all, but many.

You do not need to juice in order to have ligaments, tendons and cartilage not being able to stand up to the load put upon them.

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do not need to juice in order to have ligaments, tendons and cartilage not being able to stand up to the load put upon them.

I get that, but we all know these guys are using.
And the injuries to the body parts I mentioned are a telling stat in sports.
I'm just not naïve about it.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but we all know these guys are using.
And the injuries to the body parts I mentioned are a telling stat in sports.
I'm just not naïve about it.

I disagree with you there.

I have personally known someone (a rower), who I am almost certain to have been clean, and she had constantly issues with her ribs breaking - simply because she was so strong that her ribs could not handle the stress put upon them by her muscles.

I think that sports science in general has developed so quickly and to the point where muscles (and weight in some sports) can be trained and strengthened/grown to the point where those parts which are already on their design maximum from the very start, and can not be improved upon will fail.