• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Indy @ Cincy

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TD Chase Brown

it's like, he's able to do the things he did at Illinois in the NFL. imagine that.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
68 pts over the last two weeks with a backup QB. Phenomenal coaching job by Taylor. Looking at the upcoming schedule they're even money to make the post season

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Browning is a free agent after the season. If he pulls a Nick Foles and hits the open market, it's going to be entertaining. Even if he just leads the team to the playoffs boy is getting paid.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Browning is a free agent after the season. If he pulls a Nick Foles and hits the open market, it's going to be entertaining. Even if he just leads the team to the playoffs boy is getting paid.
Transition tag, and then trade him so he can get his chance, but it would be nice to get something for him. Don't want to see him in AFC though. Trade him to an NFC South team.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
68 pts over the last two weeks with a backup QB. Phenomenal coaching job by Taylor. Looking at the upcoming schedule they're even money to make the post season
Agreed. We all complain when the offense is stagnant and unprepared, so we should all acknowledge when it is hitting on all cylinders. What impresses me is what they are doing with the screen game. How can a team be among the worst screen team in the league for 2 or 3 seasons and then just magically find the formula for success?

I think this also speaks to some of the structural issues that arise when having only Mixon as a back. Having Mixon be complemented by a faster back brings in a bunch of plays and formations that they weren't running. Now it looks like we actually have a run game, even with teams lining up to stop it with Browning playing QB.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. We all complain when the offense is stagnant and unprepared, so we should all acknowledge when it is hitting on all cylinders. What impresses me is what they are doing with the screen game. How can a team be among the worst screen team in the league for 2 or 3 seasons and then just magically find the formula for success?

I think this also speaks to some of the structural issues that arise when having only Mixon as a back. Having Mixon be complemented by a faster back brings in a bunch of plays and formations that they weren't running. Now it looks like we actually have a run game, even with teams lining up to stop it with Browning playing QB.
31 rushes last week.
32 rushes this week.

Brown has added another dimension to the run and screen game. It is clear, to me...Mixon will not be here next year. Brown will be RB1 in '24. They won't make that move this season...but what he's able to bring really opens the run game up.

I think the screen game has flourished a bit more this year as teams have sold out against the pass. When the Bengals don't run the ball, teams are just tearing grass to get upfield. This is leaving the screen game for RB's wide open. It also helps that a few of those have been to Brown, including his 54 yarder with a nice little stop/side step to get into the endzone.

Kudos to Taylor...his previous MO was to have a great running game and then go right on back to 50 passes and 12 runs. Even though overall the run game wasn't "great"...they stuck with it and got enough out of it to keep things balance for Browning. When this is the case for Burrow...this offense has a chance to reach peak.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31 rushes last week.
32 rushes this week.

Brown has added another dimension to the run and screen game. It is clear, to me...Mixon will not be here next year. Brown will be RB1 in '24. They won't make that move this season...but what he's able to bring really opens the run game up.

I think the screen game has flourished a bit more this year as teams have sold out against the pass. When the Bengals don't run the ball, teams are just tearing grass to get upfield. This is leaving the screen game for RB's wide open. It also helps that a few of those have been to Brown, including his 54 yarder with a nice little stop/side step to get into the endzone.

Kudos to Taylor...his previous MO was to have a great running game and then go right on back to 50 passes and 12 runs. Even though overall the run game wasn't "great"...they stuck with it and got enough out of it to keep things balance for Browning. When this is the case for Burrow...this offense has a chance to reach peak.
Have to credit Browning here also. Taylor is able to stick with the run a little more when he knows his QB can be clutch on 3rd down and complete balls past the sticks if needed. Defenses are not treating Browning the same way the treat Burrow, so he is given much more opportunities than Burrow has. Browning has also been getting rid of the ball really quick and making good solid reads and throwing guys open.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to credit Browning here also. Taylor is able to stick with the run a little more when he knows his QB can be clutch on 3rd down and complete balls past the sticks if needed. Defenses are not treating Browning the same way the treat Burrow, so he is given much more opportunities than Burrow has. Browning has also been getting rid of the ball really quick and making good solid reads and throwing guys open.
Browning has done a great job. I think he's getting a tad bit more help from the run game for various reasons, but when you are balanced in play-calling it helps whoever the QB is.

I honestly don't think defenses are playing Browning too much differently. In that regard, what I mean is - the defenses are still coming at the QB full bore. One reason why the screen game has worked really well as the defenders are getting so far up field, there isn't anyone to contain the screen (and that has been a yearly thing this year, not just recently).

Really, the only difference, so far, in the last 2 games...31 and 32 rushes vs just a handful (12-13) in that first game against Pitt. Even when it's not working...you still have to give it some juice.

A lot of credit to go around for everyone. Taylor has been doing a solid job these past few weeks. I hope it's a learning point for him, and once Burrow returns next year - it is something that they will finally realize is able to propel this offense to where I think everyone believes it should be.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought...has another WR had as many OPI as Higgins? He's had at least 2 TD's this year called back, and I know he's picked up at least 2 more OPI outside of that.

I don't think he "shoved" the DB on Sunday - but you also can't extend your arm(s) out with contact to the defender....seems to me the QB just needs to throw a better "high" ball to him and just let Tee use his size to go straight up and snatch the ball over the smaller DB's, but I digress on this point...

Higgins is having a rough, rough year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I noticed in this game: Smith with just 8 snaps. Least among TE's. Sample at #1 with 40. Wilcox at 22. Hudson at 14.

Sample clearly in there for his blocking (no issues there). Would like to see more of Wilcox's snaps go to Hudson...but I am assuming most of his snaps likely came in potential 2 TE blocking sets (I have no idea, just guessing), or in lieu of Sample needing a break blocking...

Still think Hudson adds a lot to this TE room in terms of potential with pass catcher, though I know he just turned 29. Not a guy I would want to lock-up long term...but if he'd take a 2 year deal...I think you could do a lot worse with a backup TE who has some upside/ability in the pass-catching department.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright - last little nugget I found...

As the offense continues to evolve around Browning and include more running....Cincinnati's three-and-out rate is 15.2% in Browning's three starts.

For reference, Bengals are at 21% over the past 9 weeks, 14th in the league...and were at 32% through 5 games...Burrow got healthy, numbers got better...Burrow went out, and numbers got even better. Browning deserves a lot of praise, but I think it goes back towards my point that a balanced offense is an offense that is really hard to defend...and it provides consistency, even if it doesn't result in points every single drive.

It's especially important because the defensive philosophy is bend/don't break. That's really hard when the other team is getting 50 yard fields consistently to drive...instead of 80 yard fields.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow was hardly Burrow at the start of the season.

also Browning is an ERFA so it has some weird rules, we can sign him if we want... I think.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow was hardly Burrow at the start of the season.

also Browning is an ERFA so it has some weird rules, we can sign him if we want... I think.
Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

Basically, as long as the Bengals make him an offer, he's locked.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought...has another WR had as many OPI as Higgins? He's had at least 2 TD's this year called back, and I know he's picked up at least 2 more OPI outside of that.

I don't think he "shoved" the DB on Sunday - but you also can't extend your arm(s) out with contact to the defender....seems to me the QB just needs to throw a better "high" ball to him and just let Tee use his size to go straight up and snatch the ball over the smaller DB's, but I digress on this point...

Higgins is having a rough, rough year.
I think Tee has a target on him for OPI. He's been called on some iffy ones this year but that is probably justified given that he got away with some big ones in the past. He's such a big dude - It's easy for a ref to see and call him for any sort of contact and some defendenders do a decent job selling it. I do think he needs to change his mechanics and stop putting his hands on guys before jumping. I know this is easier said than done given that the league allows handfighting and DBs definitely get grabby, but Tee is so tall and strong that he doesn't need much in the way of space. On Sunday, he didn't need to have his hands on the DB - He had the position and the ball was thrown well. I think he'll figure it out.

The other issue I see with Tee is that guys are hitting him hard. He's a big target and he loves those slants over the middle, but he's taken some pretty big blows this season. I wonder if he can work on getting down earlier when he's in the middle of the field. I realize he wants to be tough and pick up extra yards, but he's been banged up a lot already and he could develop some habits that might keep him on the field more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tee has a target on him for OPI. He's been called on some iffy ones this year but that is probably justified given that he got away with some big ones in the past. He's such a big dude - It's easy for a ref to see and call him for any sort of contact and some defendenders do a decent job selling it. I do think he needs to change his mechanics and stop putting his hands on guys before jumping. I know this is easier said than done given that the league allows handfighting and DBs definitely get grabby, but Tee is so tall and strong that he doesn't need much in the way of space. On Sunday, he didn't need to have his hands on the DB - He had the position and the ball was thrown well. I think he'll figure it out.

The other issue I see with Tee is that guys are hitting him hard. He's a big target and he loves those slants over the middle, but he's taken some pretty big blows this season. I wonder if he can work on getting down earlier when he's in the middle of the field. I realize he wants to be tough and pick up extra yards, but he's been banged up a lot already and he could develop some habits that might keep him on the field more.
Better resign value for the Bengals if he tanks this year?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better resign value for the Bengals if he tanks this year?
I'd say maybe, but he has an agent that will play serious hardball. I also think teams are realizing the value of having a true number 1 receiver. KC and Jacksonville are two good teams that come to mind that show how an offense can be limited without one (not saying either of them would be in the market, just that they need a good receiver). Tee's production without Chase on the field last year will be a major discussion point among talent evaluators - He was really productive and in some ways even better without Chase. He also put up almost 1K in his rookie year with a rookie Joe Burrow for 9 games, Brandon Allen and whoever that smiling guy was that beat Pittsburgh, not many other weapons, and no real experience. It's easy to talk yourself into him as a true #1.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say maybe, but he has an agent that will play serious hardball. I also think teams are realizing the value of having a true number 1 receiver. KC and Jacksonville are two good teams that come to mind that show how an offense can be limited without one (not saying either of them would be in the market, just that they need a good receiver). Tee's production without Chase on the field last year will be a major discussion point among talent evaluators - He was really productive and in some ways even better without Chase. He also put up almost 1K in his rookie year with a rookie Joe Burrow for 9 games, Brandon Allen and whoever that smiling guy was that beat Pittsburgh, not many other weapons, and no real experience. It's easy to talk yourself into him as a true #1.
That WAS Brandon Allen...LOL

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a zombie display with all the old obscure QBs that we've had in the past wondering around looking for something to eat. will maybe work on that for halloween