• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Indiana week/Game thread

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love reading these threads after a back and forth game. I spent day on couch with stomach flu watching, so I was a little groggy.

I love the criticism after trying to be aggressive and get first downs with what was working to run the clock out after everyone went nuts being conservative running last week. Make up your minds. I swear some people just like to complain no matter what the hell we do. We won the game 1-0 this week.

My only problem with coaching move yesterday was the inexplicable fake punt attempt. That just blew my mind and gave Indiana momentum and hope.

As far as the team, we are still painfully inexperienced up the gut on D. When Windsor and Givens go out, we get gashed. Mustipher is coming along and will be good next year, but we are having growing pains. Johnson, good story, good kid, but he's invisible. He makes tackles 10 yards downfield, not ideal for an MLB. On offense the dropped passes are my only gripe. We had a very good game plan, those drops were killers. Polk is getting progressively worse with drops while Johnson seemed to be improving a bit then disappeared for second half. Would love to see Dotson get some more reps, Shorter as well if he's healthy.

Food for thought, since the 2016 OSU game we have 5 losses by a combined 12 points. OSU has 4 losses by a combined 106. We are so close, gotta get that depth experienced and we can just redshirt most of our incoming classes, let them grow a year in strength program before tossing them on field

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fair to criticize where it is due. This is a forum to give opinions and I don't think everyone has to sound like a pep rally. I have said since Franklin came here he is a great recruiter but not a great game coach. I watched him at MD, I have a pretty good idea who he is. True the losses have been close but they have also been 4th quarter losses. I am not advocating getting rid of him. I think he will do well as long as he has strong coordinators. I expect he will be a top 20 coach most years. This year we will have to wait and see, they could lose all three to Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin and they could win all three.

Agree about the defense, still young and it shows at times.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said it wasn't, I just think its comical watching the sway of emotions how people go off the deep end from one quarter to the next. I didn't see anyone bitching about Moorhead,our offense is producing more with Rahne at the helm and he doesn't have Saquon, Gesecki or Desean to work with.

As far as Franklin, say what you will, but this is the most successful run for PSU football in a long time and its coming off sanctions that still effect the roster. Finally getting the depth evened out across teh board, but its still very young. Will have a more balanced roster going forward, but they have worked a minor miracle since they have been here never having a losing season their first 2 years and winning a B1G title their 3rd following it up with another 11 win season. Also has us poised to take the next step with teh classes he has and is bringing in. Remember a few short years ago when losing a big game was referred to as clemsoning.....

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is an absolute tire fire. Rahne needs to go
Never said it wasn't, I just think its comical watching the sway of emotions how people go off the deep end from one quarter to the next. I didn't see anyone bitching about Moorhead,our offense is producing more with Rahne at the helm and he doesn't have Saquon, Gesecki or Desean to work with.

As far as Franklin, say what you will, but this is the most successful run for PSU football in a long time and its coming off sanctions that still effect the roster. Finally getting the depth evened out across teh board, but its still very young. Will have a more balanced roster going forward, but they have worked a minor miracle since they have been here never having a losing season their first 2 years and winning a B1G title their 3rd following it up with another 11 win season. Also has us poised to take the next step with teh classes he has and is bringing in. Remember a few short years ago when losing a big game was referred to as clemsoning.....

Any idea why Brown was getting work before Slade when it seemed like Slade was the preferred option earlier in the season?

I feel like the playcalling leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, but McSorley and the WR deserve some blame as well. Trace had misfired way more than I’ve come to expect from him these past couple weeks and the WRs are still a weak spot. I think I’ve seen enough of Polk as a regular. Constantly drops the ball and I saw him get blown up by DBs multiple times when they were running to his side yesterday. If you can’t catch and you can’t block effectively, why are you out there? I agree with you that I’d like to see Dotson and Shorter get some run in his spot going forward.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said I am fine with Franklin but stand by what I have said.

The team is good enough to have beat OSU and MSU and young enough to have lost to App State and Indiana.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said I am fine with Franklin but stand by what I have said.

The team is good enough to have beat OSU and MSU and young enough to have lost to App State and Indiana.

Yeah, we are 2 plays from 7-0 and we are 1 play from being 4-3.....I cant say I was actually worried at any point yesterday...app State, I was terrified.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is an absolute tire fire. Rahne needs to go

Any idea why Brown was getting work before Slade when it seemed like Slade was the preferred option earlier in the season?

I feel like the playcalling leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, but McSorley and the WR deserve some blame as well. Trace had misfired way more than I’ve come to expect from him these past couple weeks and the WRs are still a weak spot. I think I’ve seen enough of Polk as a regular. Constantly drops the ball and I saw him get blown up by DBs multiple times when they were running to his side yesterday. If you can’t catch and you can’t block effectively, why are you out there? I agree with you that I’d like to see Dotson and Shorter get some run in his spot going forward.

I think Slade is in same boat Miles was last 2 years, has to learn to hold on to ball. The talent is there, but they aren't going to throw him out there in key spots until he proves he can hold onto it. He'll be fine.

Playcalling has guys in spots to make plays, execution is the problem. Trace was good yesterday, too many drops, but he was bad against MSU. Missed many reads in run game and pass game. that week. Only thing I'd like to see more of on O is Friermuth. He catches the damn ball and is a giant target when Trace is throwing high

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Slade is in same boat Miles was last 2 years, has to learn to hold on to ball. The talent is there, but they aren't going to throw him out there in key spots until he proves he can hold onto it. He'll be fine.

Playcalling has guys in spots to make plays, execution is the problem. Trace was good yesterday, too many drops, but he was bad against MSU. Missed many reads in run game and pass game. that week. Only thing I'd like to see more of on O is Friermuth. He catches the damn ball and is a giant target when Trace is throwing high

Trace was pretty good yesterday but I felt like he was struggling with his accuracy on deep balls. These next three games are going to be brutal, Trace is gonna have to be at his best. I think Michigan is the best team that PSU is going to face this season.

Also, I think Shaka Toney needs to see some more snaps. Whether that means cutting into YGM or Millers snaps or moving one of them inside and putting Toney on the outside, he’s too talented a pass rusher to get so few snaps. He was dominant in the fourth quarter yesterday.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trace was pretty good yesterday but I felt like he was struggling with his accuracy on deep balls. These next three games are going to be brutal, Trace is gonna have to be at his best. I think Michigan is the best team that PSU is going to face this season.

Also, I think Shaka Toney needs to see some more snaps. Whether that means cutting into YGM or Millers snaps or moving one of them inside and putting Toney on the outside, he’s too talented a pass rusher to get so few snaps. He was dominant in the fourth quarter yesterday.

I'll cut him some slack on deep balls yesterday, wind was brutal. He was much better in his decision making yesterday.

As far as Toney, no way you cut into Yetur or Miller time, especially Yetur. He was a monster yesterday. Toney is good in pass rushing situations, but cut into those other guys snaps the next 3 weeks and watch them ran right at him all day long. On side note, Toney's family was at my friend's tailgate for OSU. his sister is funny, definitely bleeds blue and white. Use shaka in passing downs

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One nice consequence of yesterday's games is Ohio State got their lunch handed to them by Purdue. I love watch OSU getting embarrassed!! :lol:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One nice consequence of yesterday's games is Ohio State got their lunch handed to them by Purdue. I love watch OSU getting embarrassed!! :lol:

Never makes me sad to see them get drilled. Made it extra special after seeing the story on the Purdue kid with cancer who was there for the game.