• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In no amnesty craze for us news...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raptors Likely To Wait On Amnesty Clause
Nov 29, 2011 2:35 PM EST

The Raptors are expected to wait at least a year before using the amnesty clause.

The amnesty clause can be used at any time in next six years on anyone on the roster July 1, 2011.

Linas Kleiza and Jose Calderon are the most likely amnesty candidates.

Read more: Raptors Likely To Wait On Amnesty Clause - RealGM Wiretap

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thats a tough one, jose got a year and a half left where as owl is coming of knee surgury with four years left. I would use it on owl but i'm a huge balderon fan so i may be biased

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thats a tough one, jose got a year and a half left where as owl is coming of knee surgury with four years left. I would use it on owl but i'm a huge balderon fan so i may be biased

This season is a write-off. The worse we are the better, so we'd be crazy to use it on Jose now. Owl, on the other hand, has a bad contract but not unserviceable for now. We're in a good spot right now to stay put. See how the next draft and how our young guys develop first then reevaluate

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This season is a write-off. The worse we are the better, so we'd be crazy to use it on Jose now. Owl, on the other hand, has a bad contract but not unserviceable for now. We're in a good spot right now to stay put. See how the next draft and how our young guys develop first then reevaluate

is this amnesty clause a once in a lifetime deal or does a team get a new one every few years?

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets use it on bargnani.

id do it just to see if any other team in the league would actually sign him

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lets use it on bargnani.

id do it just to see if any other team in the league would actually sign him

not a bad idea. I bet every team that saw him do a 270 dunk would bite. I'm sure some of teams around the league think they can change him with discipline, something the raps haven't tried since sam(even he held back cause colangelo)

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say burn it now. Unless Colangelo is planning on making another horrible signing

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thing to keep in mind, is if a team has two terrible contracts, the raps could take on one (assuming that teams amnetsys the other) and get some picks or something else in return and then just amnesty the other bad contract.

basically they could use it as trade bait.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i don't think they can use it on anyone tey trade for, only signings

Marco Doubypops

Road Commentary Specalist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One disclaimer: Sources say Toronto is trying to be as aggressive as it can be in the big-man market in free agency and has informed the players involved that it intends to lodge serious bids for Nene, Chandler and restricted free agent Marc Gasol. In the unlikely event that releasing a player through amnesty could clinch the signing of one of those players, rest assured that the Raptors will go for it.

A BIG MAN!!!!!!!???!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well the loss of ajinca does leave a 12-14 inch shortfall in penis length. Aaron gray comes to mind as a replacement

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NBA Amnesty Clause Further Explained In Tentative Agreement

by Kris Willis

Sam Amick of SI.com obtained a summary of the NBA's tentative Labor deal and outlines the new Amnesty clause in greater detail including a couple of details that I wasn't aware of previously.

Amnesty

- Each team permitted to waive 1 player prior to any season of the CBA (only for contracts in place at the inception of the CBA) and have 100% of the player's salary removed from team salary for Cap and Tax purposes.

- Salary of amnestied players included for purposes of calculating players'agreed-upon share of BRI.

- A modified waiver process will be utilized for players waived pursuant to the Amnesty rule, under which teams with Room under the Cap can submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the player's remaining contract. If a player's contract is claimed in this manner, the remaining portion of the player's salary will continue to be paid by the team that waived him.

So essentially any player waived with the amnesty clause won't instantly obtain free agency and be free to sign anywhere they choose. The way the third bullet point reads is that teams that are under the salary cap would be able to submit offers to take on but not all of the player's remaining contract in a modified waiver process. If no one makes a claim then the player would be allowed to negotiate with any team.

So for example, Baron Davis was a rumored Miami Heat target if he was waived with the amnesty clause in Cleveland. Before Davis could sign with the Heat he would have to clear a waiver process by all of the teams under the salary cap. The Atlanta Hawks are over the cap so they would not be included in the waiver process. If Davis was claimed by a team under the cap then he would be headed their with his new team and the Cavaliers paying the bill.

Also my interpretation of the first bullet point is that you can use the amnesty clause on one player prior to any season of the CBA and only on contracts that were signed prior to the new CBA.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The waiver process is still kind of confusing...so, if a player is waived under the amnesty clause, teams under the cap can still sign him if they take on part of his contract? If no team is willing to do that then they are officially free agents?

Marco Doubypops

Road Commentary Specalist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The waiver process is still kind of confusing...so, if a player is waived under the amnesty clause, teams under the cap can still sign him if they take on part of his contract? If no team is willing to do that then they are officially free agents?

Basketball contracts are pretty much the worst for understanding them, but yes, that's how it is I'm pretty sure. I did not actually know about the fact that it can only be used for a player signed under the old CBA, which is interesting.

The waiver process goes as you say, but I've no idea how it is determined how much money the new team pays the player. The old team has to pay a percentage which does now count towards the team's salary cap, but is just paid out of the pocket of the owner. I would assume that it's a percentage maybe weigted depending on how much they make (if htey make 6 million+ per year, it may be 65% of their pay instead of 70% or something) but really I haven't heard anything about how that pay split is going to happen, I guess we'll have to wait on more details on that.