• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we had VY or Lienart

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we had drafted one of them instead of Smith, do you think they would still be our starter like Alex Smith is? We havent given up on Smith, whos to say we wouldnt have given up on one of them?

Also could Harbaugh turn one of them into the 'game manager' like Smith is. (doing it well too)? Neither of them have showed less promise than Smith had. Although both have had less chances to prove it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know, but I'm glad we've never had either of them on our team. I think Smith is better than both of them, and I'd rather not go below Smith's level of play.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok, Matt Leinart is far worse than Alex Smith. He couldn't even perform well with Fitz, Boldin and Turkey if I remember correctly. Leinart is even worse than Young, who is significantly worse than Alex...

It takes time for defenses to figure out how to stop a QB who is bad or average at passing and great at running (see Tebow / Vick), but they eventually figure it out. The NFL figured out Young, and Leinart never had any talent in the first place. Alex is limited, but he's capable of making all the throws if he has enough room / time to step into his throws with all his weight. And he's a good scrabler / runner too. That doesn't equal a good QB, but it's better than the aforementioned.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hope no no takes this as a Smith bash lol. It was just something that popped in my head. Im not a fan of neither. However I think Leinart may have a chance to suceed in Houston. They have the league best run game and a very good Oline. If Andre Johnson is heathy he will have a great weapon along with a good TE to dump off to. He wont be asked to throw much but will have a lot of weapons, who should be open thanks to that great run game. If he cant suceed here he wont anywhere.

VY on the other hand is a very below avg QB. Reminds me of tebow as a passer but without the heart.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope no no takes this as a Smith bash lol. It was just something that popped in my head. Im not a fan of neither. However I think Leinart may have a chance to suceed in Houston. They have the league best run game and a very good Oline. If Andre Johnson is heathy he will have a great weapon along with a good TE to dump off to. He wont be asked to throw much but will have a lot of weapons, who should be open thanks to that great run game. If he cant suceed here he wont anywhere.

VY on the other hand is a very below avg QB. Reminds me of tebow as a passer but without the heart.

Leinart had great weapons in Arizona, maybe not a running game, but most QBs dream of playing with that caliber of receiving corp..

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But some QB arent built for that. That was a throw the ball 40 times a game system there. I would expect Smith to suceed in that system.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A good run game is an avg talented QBs best friend. It can make them look a lot better than they are. Great QBs like Rodgers, Brady, etc and thrive in nearly all system. They have the complete package where you can throw they are passing and they stilll beat you doing it.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, Matt Leinart is far worse than Alex Smith. He couldn't even perform well with Fitz, Boldin and Turkey if I remember correctly. Leinart is even worse than Young, who is significantly worse than Alex...

It takes time for defenses to figure out how to stop a QB who is bad or average at passing and great at running (see Tebow / Vick), but they eventually figure it out. The NFL figured out Young, and Leinart never had any talent in the first place. Alex is limited, but he's capable of making all the throws if he has enough room / time to step into his throws with all his weight. And he's a good scrabler / runner too. That doesn't equal a good QB, but it's better than the aforementioned.

excellent response, rep given

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had drafted one of them instead of Smith, do you think they would still be our starter like Alex Smith is? We havent given up on Smith, whos to say we wouldnt have given up on one of them?

Also could Harbaugh turn one of them into the 'game manager' like Smith is. (doing it well too)? Neither of them have showed less promise than Smith had. Although both have had less chances to prove it.

To answer whether they would be starting for us, this really is a two part question. (Would we give up on them, would they give up on us) Assuming Sickness is right that Alex > Vince > Leinart, would Vince have restructured his contract? Would Leinart have spent the same or less time partying in a better partying city (I assume SF is better than Glendale)? Would being the number one pick have gotten to their heads more than being number 10 and 3? Would they have stuck by without a contract to help during the offseason? I assume these guys work hard, but are either of these guys known for working hard as much as Smith? You are clearly not asking about someone that would have necessarily warranted an extension during last year.

If either Vince or Leinart are better than Alex, perhaps they would have avoided the request for restructuring the contract by performing better. But I assume you ask this question not because you think they are clearly better but rather to express a perhaps quicker yank of their chain, shorter leash. Under the scenario that you expressed we must look at Leinart and Young as a No. 1 pick investments which would cause some stubborn love for them, too. But I still assume they'd ask for a restructured contract and hard work always is an issue. Not saying they don't work hard, but physical skills and FO aren't the only factors (not saying you said this).

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't know, but I'm glad we've never had either of them on our team. I think Smith is better than both of them, and I'd rather not go below Smith's level of play.

Leinart would do well in this type of offense I think. At this point I would not trade Smith for him. I'm glad Smith is finally showing some promise. He kind of got a raw deal in SF.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with your response.. Neither work as hard as smith.. To answer my own question. Both would be long gone.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lienert sucks and vince young would have cried all the way home before nolan got fired.

even rodgers wouldn't have had the 'success' smith has had if we drafted him instead. his career woulda been over from concussions.