• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IF the Broncos make the SB, and it is a BIG IF......

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens when there is a snow out condition? There is a distinct possibility that may be the case.

Just looking way ahead, but it just pisses me off what kind schmuck this commissioner is.

Yes, I understand he is awarding SBs to the owners that had to pay for their own stadiums with out tax subsidies. I get that they need to get theirs and the commissioner is their little puppet, but it just ticks me off anyway.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that it made good sense to play the SB at a site where the weather in the middle of winter is unlikely to be too big a factor for either the game on the field or the ability of the folks who spend big money attending the game and all that entails to enjoy the experience. Seems to me that choosing a site where inclement weather is a likely factor is quite a risky decision. Could work out fine, of course. All depends on the weather.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is the Broncos there, then I apologize in advance, but I'm going to be hoping and praying and dancing and anything else that the weather is an all out white-out blizzard that just makes anything and everything about the game absolutely miserable. For decades all every team not in a dome or LA/MIA heard was they couldn't have a superbowl because of the weather factor. Dallas couldn't have one until we built a dome. Then that blow-hard asshat Mara pulls strings and gets their open air stadium in the freaking north east a SB. What a joke. I hope the whole freaking thing is a logistics nightmare, a blizzard going on for two weeks that keeps teams from even getting their equipment there and the stadium ending up being 75% full because people don't want to weather the elements. And I hope the media just blisters the NFL for once again bending to the will of Mara.

Yup, I mad about it all. Mara is a twat.

Good luck to the Bronc's though :suds: Much rather you guys there than Mr Bundchen.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is the Broncos there, then I apologize in advance, but I'm going to be hoping and praying and dancing and anything else that the weather is an all out white-out blizzard that just makes anything and everything about the game absolutely miserable. For decades all every team not in a dome or LA/MIA heard was they couldn't have a superbowl because of the weather factor. Dallas couldn't have one until we built a dome. Then that blow-hard asshat Mara pulls strings and gets their open air stadium in the freaking north east a SB. What a joke. I hope the whole freaking thing is a logistics nightmare, a blizzard going on for two weeks that keeps teams from even getting their equipment there and the stadium ending up being 75% full because people don't want to weather the elements. And I hope the media just blisters the NFL for once again bending to the will of Mara.

Good luck to the Bronc's though :suds: Much rather you guys there than Mr Bundchen.

LOL Seems that you are hoping for the league to learn a cruel lesson. Not at all what I'd expected after reading your first sentence. I suspect that many fans like the idea of PM having to play a SB in a blizzard.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree totally, this could be a disaster in the making, BUT.... what we do have going for us is Peyton practiced with receivers all January Feb, march in the cold of this past offseason plus at this rate we would probably be playing at home in the cold for the two playoff games. Who knows the NFC team might not be used to it at all like Seattle or San Fran... Seattle rains but rarely has snow and crazy cold conditions, at least to my knowledge and I know San Fran does not get that either. If it is Green Bay than of course that is a different angle because they are very good in the cold... HOPE AND PRAY

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to admit that I pretty much hope this as well. Right now their whole multi billion dollar strategy is nothing more than crossing fingers. Seems to me that is an awful business decision from any point of view or standard.

I think Goodell is a piece of shit of the highest order. I know he is a puppet, but I think he is more than that. I have very rarely seen a commissioner act like such a dictator and take full advantage of the fans who are obviously addicted to the game.

As it is, he already uses so many ambiguous rules that are subject to judgement in order to extrapolate dollars from millionaires and to create the perception that the league is pro-active in making the game safer. Beware of the word SAFETY. It is often used by government and other entities (Fortune 500 companies) to push agendas.

Oh make no mistake. The NFL pinches pennies, they look at any and all ways to protect their shield but also to generate all revenue streams. They are bullies of the highest order, and when 32 billionaires get together on a business plan, watch out.

Another example. Most people think the NFL has not had a team in LA cause LA is a bad market. That is ridiculous. Take a look at the draw the Dodgers, Angels, Laker, and Clippers are. Look at the revenue they generate in ticket sales, to say nothing of their cable deals. LA is the second biggest market in THE WORLD.

So, why no team there for 20 years? Well, in order to create leverage to bully cities to finance stadiums for billionaires through tax subsidies. Take a look at how many brand new stadiums were built in the last 20 years, and how many franchises threatened to move to LA if they didn't. Denver was one of them. Minnesota was the last one. Franchises like Dallas and NY teams could not use that bluff. Hence, the THREE owners paid for their own stadium. Hence why this asshole awarded NY the SB in order to make up for the revenues.

Now that the NFL is pretty much done with the 20 year plan in leveraging cities, they will now be making the real steps in sending one if not two teams there. Steps are already being taken.

That is what true power is, and NFL is the epitome of a corporate monster.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree totally, this could be a disaster in the making, BUT.... what we do have going for us is Peyton practiced with receivers all January Feb, march in the cold of this past offseason plus at this rate we would probably be playing at home in the cold for the two playoff games. Who knows the NFC team might not be used to it at all like Seattle or San Fran... Seattle rains but rarely has snow and crazy cold conditions, at least to my knowledge and I know San Fran does not get that either. If it is Green Bay than of course that is a different angle because they are very good in the cold... HOPE AND PRAY

That's an interesting thought. Hard for me to hope for the opportunity to play against either the SF or Seattle defense over GB's, but perhaps we might at least have the cold weather in our favor if that were to happen!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos make the Super Bowl I won't care about the weather! Bring it on!

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

San Fran gets cold summers, as the late, great Mark Twain said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Fransisco."

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
week 3 and you guys are already bitching about the Superbowl weather.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
week 3 and you guys are already bitching about the Superbowl weather.

No, they are more arguing that Goodell is a shmuck and that the NFL is an evil corporate giant beating up on the fans and the players.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example. Most people think the NFL has not had a team in LA cause LA is a bad market. That is ridiculous. Take a look at the draw the Dodgers, Angels, Laker, and Clippers are. Look at the revenue they generate in ticket sales, to say nothing of their cable deals. LA is the second biggest market in THE WORLD.

So, why no team there for 20 years? Well, in order to create leverage to bully cities to finance stadiums for billionaires through tax subsidies. Take a look at how many brand new stadiums were built in the last 20 years, and how many franchises threatened to move to LA if they didn't. Denver was one of them. Minnesota was the last one. Franchises like Dallas and NY teams could not use that bluff. Hence, the THREE owners paid for their own stadium. Hence why this asshole awarded NY the SB in order to make up for the revenues.

Now that the NFL is pretty much done with the 20 year plan in leveraging cities, they will now be making the real steps in sending one if not two teams there. Steps are already being taken.

That is what true power is, and NFL is the epitome of a corporate monster.

Nice bit of revisionist history here. First, I've been following the Broncos since the '70's and I don't remember them EVER threatening to move to LA. I definitely can't see Bowlen making any statements like that. Second, LA had fairly successful franchises, and COULDN'T SELL OUT THEIR STADIUMS! That's why the Raiders moved BACK to a crappy Oakland Coliseum (from a crappy LA Olympic Coliseum). That's why teams threaten, but still hesitate on moving to LA. They hope the cities they currently reside in don't call their bluffs. There's been solid stadium deals just waiting for teams to jump in for several years now. Not one team has signed on. Not one. Why is that if LA is such a great NFL market?

The NFL WANT'S a presence in LA, and is frustrated that it can't get a foothold there again. They WANT to EXPLOIT that market, not use it as some bargaining chip.

Also, the tax structures in place in LA act as a barrier to incoming teams. There's traditionally been little support to sent tax revenue into a stadium build, and higher overall taxes (without incentives) make owners want to look elsewhere first before moving to LA.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I lived in Seattle for a couple of years and yeah snow does not get to the city very often. It did happen to be there when we were there and the whole city went into a mass panic and the mayor if I remember right declared a state of emergency for the City over about 3 inches of snow. I will say though it does get cold and with the constant rain you have to get used to doing everything wet and cold.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice bit of revisionist history here. First, I've been following the Broncos since the '70's and I don't remember them EVER threatening to move to LA. I definitely can't see Bowlen making any statements like that. Second, LA had fairly successful franchises, and COULDN'T SELL OUT THEIR STADIUMS! That's why the Raiders moved BACK to a crappy Oakland Coliseum (from a crappy LA Olympic Coliseum). That's why teams threaten, but still hesitate on moving to LA. They hope the cities they currently reside in don't call their bluffs. There's been solid stadium deals just waiting for teams to jump in for several years now. Not one team has signed on. Not one. Why is that if LA is such a great NFL market?

The NFL WANT'S a presence in LA, and is frustrated that it can't get a foothold there again. They WANT to EXPLOIT that market, not use it as some bargaining chip.

Also, the tax structures in place in LA act as a barrier to incoming teams. There's traditionally been little support to sent tax revenue into a stadium build, and higher overall taxes (without incentives) make owners want to look elsewhere first before moving to LA.

He is correct, Bowlen did threaten to move the team.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is correct, Bowlen did threaten to move the team.
The Denver Post Online: The Stadium

There have been expressions of doomsday for professional football in Denver if
the vote fails. But Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has said he wouldn't
threaten to move the National Football League franchise to another
city if the issue doesn't pass.

:noidea:

All I can find is him saying that he would consider selling the team if it didn't remain competitive. Everything else I see has him denying he'd move the team himself.

Also, the lease the team was under back then went through 2018. It would have been difficult at best to negotiate a move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bowlen did threaten to move to LA, and his first step in doing that was taking the D out of the helmet. He certainly did threaten to move to LA and that is what most franchises did.

Take a look at what the Vikings franchise did. Perhaps you were not paying attention.

Also, LA is one of the best sports towns in America. To say nothing that it is the second biggest market in the world.

If it was such a bad market why would ,as you say, the NFL want a presence there? Of course they want a presence there. However, in order to pull off what they wanted (bully cities to finance stadiums through tax subsidies) they would certainly need leverage. There was no greater leverage than a VACANT CITY LIKE LA.

Even if all of the tax things are correct, it does not really mean a thing. Most FANS (voters) are not exactly educated on TAX SITUATIONS. All they know is their franchise may move to LA and most of them voted in FAVOR of publicly financing stadiums.

This really all started with that Baltimore did for Modell. Make no mistake. The owners compete with each other in the field, but they also compete with the pocket book. When Modell got that deal, well all of them wanted to know......Where is my deal?

When fans around the country saw what Cleveland lost and the fact that Modell would move a HISTORICAL franchise like Cleveland, well anything was possible.

BTW, if you think Bowlen would not have moved the Broncos to LA if LA had offered a Baltimore like deal, then you are truly naive.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Denver Post Online: The Stadium

:noidea:

All I can find is him saying that he would consider selling the team if it didn't remain competitive. Everything else I see has him denying he'd move the team himself.

Also, the lease the team was under back then went through 2018. It would have been difficult at best to negotiate a move.

He Won't Get Historical if They Tear Stadium Down - Los Angeles Times

If a referendum for a new football stadium in Denver doesn't pass, Bronco owner Pat Bowlen is threatening to sell the team and move to Los Angeles as owner of an expansion team. . . .

The NFL won't do anything to cost him leverage. . . .

ON, the magazine for DirecTV sports, ranks USC first in the Pacific 10 Conference for traditions but has Washington second, ahead of UCLA and the rest. . . .

Yes, it's a sight to see when 70,000 fans at Husky Stadium raise their umbrellas in unison. . . .

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...778464,00.html

Bowlen: Los Angeles needs NFL team

By Ken Peters, Associated Press
June 15, 2006

SANTA ANA, Calif. — Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is convinced the NFL needs a team in the Los Angeles area. Where and when remain the multimillion dollar questions.

Bowlen and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue were among league officials who held a luncheon meeting Thursday with Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle, other city officials and Orange County business leaders. The previous evening, they dined with Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and businessmen from that city.

The two mayors and their cities are competing to bring an NFL team back to the area, abandoned after the 1994 season when the Raiders left the Los Angeles Coliseum for Oakland and the Rams departed Anaheim for St. Louis.

Bowlen said the proposals by both Anaheim and Los Angeles are very attractive. The league is allotting each city $5 million to explore, among other things, how much financial support businesses might provide toward defraying the cost of a new stadium.

The NFL would finance the construction at either site, with cost estimates between $650 million to $850 million.

"I wouldn’t say this one’s better or that one’s better," Bowlen said of the proposals. "I don’t have any choices in mind. I clearly think we’ve got two very viable alternatives here."

There is no timetable for a decision, and Tagliabue said the league intends to be thorough in its evaluation process because "we are looking at investing multiple millions of dollars."

Leaders in both Anaheim and Los Angeles understand the process won’t be rushed, the commissioner said.

The Anaheim proposal would involve having a new stadium built in a parking lot near Angel Stadium, where the American League’s Angels play. Under Los Angeles’ plan, a stadium would be built near downtown, inside the existing shell of the aging Coliseum.

Bowlen said there were different considerations in both proposals. Building a new stadium on a "clean site" like the area around Angel Stadium would be easier than the job at the existing Coliseum, Bowlen said, adding, "But Los Angeles is Los Angeles."

Pringle said the meeting with Tagliabue and the others was very productive and that he believed the league officials got an idea of the potential support they could expect from the area’s business leaders.

Although Anaheim will continue to woo the NFL, the city council earlier this month decided to explore other options for the land parcel that would be used for a stadium. That process is expected to take up to six months.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10: