• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If a video game review sounds like an ad...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTC: Warner Bros. paid YouTubers for positive reviews

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced a settlement on Monday with Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Inc. over the studio’s alleged failure to properly disclose that it had paid top YouTube “influencers” to promote the 2014 game Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. While the FTC’scomplaint against Warner Bros. (PDF) does not mention any specific influencer, the commission’s press release calls out PewDiePie, the world's top-earning YouTube video creator, as one of the so-called influencers that took the studio’s money.

The FTC’s complaint says that a third-party marketing team hired by Warner Bros. gave the YouTube game reviewers “cash payments often ranging from hundreds of dollars to tens of thousands of dollars,” as long as the videos they made about Shadow of Mordor met certain criteria. Among those criteria were stipulations that the video had to be positive about the game; could not show any bugs or glitches that the reviewer may have found in the early release copy they were given to play; could not contain any negative sentiments about the game, Warner Bros., or its affiliates; and had to include “a strong verbal call-to-action to click the link in the description box for the viewer to go to the [game’s] website to learn more about the [game], to learn how they can register, and to learn how to play the game.”

In addition, the YouTube creators also had to make at least one Facebook post or one Tweet to promote the video they made about Shadow of Mordor.

According to the FTC, the third-party marketing firm hired by Warner Bros. told the YouTube video creators to disclose that the video was sponsored in the information box below the video. However, this ran afoul of FTC rules because viewers had to click the “Show More” box to even see the disclosure. The FTC added that if the video was viewed on Facebook or Twitter, the viewer would never even see the “Show More” link and would be fooled into thinking that the review was objective.

Further still, the FTC claims that some of the paid videos never included a disclosure in the “Show More” area in the first place. In those cases, the video makers only disclosed that they had received early access to Shadow of Mordor.

“Consumers have the right to know if reviewers are providing their own opinions or paid sales pitches,” Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement in the commission’s press release. “Companies like Warner Brothers need to be straight with consumers in their online ad campaigns.”

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I traverse youtube much other than falling down the rabbit hole, but I just assume almost everything is an ad. Someone is making money from something.

If anyone I personally knew followed or was influenced by a youtube personality, I would seriously need to reconsider my circle of friends.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I traverse youtube much other than falling down the rabbit hole, but I just assume almost everything is an ad. Someone is making money from something.

If anyone I personally knew followed or was influenced by a youtube personality, I would seriously need to reconsider my circle of friends.

However, based on the amount of money some of these "personalities" make, maybe a few of us should try doing it ourselves :suds: :lol:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, based on the amount of money some of these "personalities" make, maybe a few of us should try doing it ourselves :suds: :lol:
I know, right? That seems like a super easy way to make cash.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Good luck with that.

I am available to edit/post your attempts though. $50/hour.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have to announce it in the video or in the description, so it's pretty easy to tell. I've found a few people that I really trust their opinions on games and such. One is the angryjoeshow. He plays a lot of the most popular games and gives actual, in depth, reviews. His videos are usually 30-40 minutes long. Most importantly, his ranking scale is accurate. Bad games get 1-3, average games get 4-6 and decent games get 7-10. And he really rips apart games if they do shady stuff.

I wouldn't ever buy a game I've never heard of because of his review, but I do like to see what he says about games I'm considering. The simple fact is that I don't have the time or money to play all the games out there so it's nice that other people do it for you. I tend to buy only 1-3 games a year, so I like the ones I get to be solid ones. YouTube is a great resource for actual fan reviews.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, right? That seems like a super easy way to make cash.
I assure you it's probably not easy. There are a million other gamers out there who have that same thought, start channels and don't get anyone to watch. You have to have a unique personality of point of view to actually get people to subscribe. And you also need a lot of free time to play games and pump out videos. It would take a long time of not making any money doing it to actually be able to live off of it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assure you it's probably not easy. There are a million other gamers out there who have that same thought, start channels and don't get anyone to watch. You have to have a unique personality of point of view to actually get people to subscribe. And you also need a lot of free time to play games and pump out videos. It would take a long time of not making any money doing it to actually be able to live off of it.
Its not easy to get started up I totally agree. The reality is that success breeds success. A case in point would be Destiny feeds. There are probably about 1,000 players in Destiny who are borderline invincible compared to everyone else. Probably only like 20 of them have popular feeds I'm guessing and outside of the few that are attractive females, its REALLY hard to stand out unless you were there at the beginning doing something relevant and if you're not one of those top 1,000 players then you're just a "casual" by comparison.

Functionally, though, there isn't much to being a video game reviewer. Everyone has an opinion and video game reviewers are just less reliable than movie reviewers and music reviewers because price points and DLC really alters the value of a video game and quite frankly lot of video games are made to be more of a sport than art.

Cynsphins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTC: Warner Bros. paid YouTubers for positive reviews

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced a settlement on Monday with Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Inc. over the studio’s alleged failure to properly disclose that it had paid top YouTube “influencers” to promote the 2014 game Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. While the FTC’scomplaint against Warner Bros. (PDF) does not mention any specific influencer, the commission’s press release calls out PewDiePie, the world's top-earning YouTube video creator, as one of the so-called influencers that took the studio’s money.

The FTC’s complaint says that a third-party marketing team hired by Warner Bros. gave the YouTube game reviewers “cash payments often ranging from hundreds of dollars to tens of thousands of dollars,” as long as the videos they made about Shadow of Mordor met certain criteria. Among those criteria were stipulations that the video had to be positive about the game; could not show any bugs or glitches that the reviewer may have found in the early release copy they were given to play; could not contain any negative sentiments about the game, Warner Bros., or its affiliates; and had to include “a strong verbal call-to-action to click the link in the description box for the viewer to go to the [game’s] website to learn more about the [game], to learn how they can register, and to learn how to play the game.”

In addition, the YouTube creators also had to make at least one Facebook post or one Tweet to promote the video they made about Shadow of Mordor.

According to the FTC, the third-party marketing firm hired by Warner Bros. told the YouTube video creators to disclose that the video was sponsored in the information box below the video. However, this ran afoul of FTC rules because viewers had to click the “Show More” box to even see the disclosure. The FTC added that if the video was viewed on Facebook or Twitter, the viewer would never even see the “Show More” link and would be fooled into thinking that the review was objective.

Further still, the FTC claims that some of the paid videos never included a disclosure in the “Show More” area in the first place. In those cases, the video makers only disclosed that they had received early access to Shadow of Mordor.

“Consumers have the right to know if reviewers are providing their own opinions or paid sales pitches,” Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement in the commission’s press release. “Companies like Warner Brothers need to be straight with consumers in their online ad campaigns.”

Cynsphins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think you know football?! Test your wits and knowledge of the game with this brand new app that will be launched in a couple of weeks. This game is created by Mark Mongie (yeah, the guy who was responsible for NFL Madden Football when he was the Creative Director at EA Sports, among many other award winning games), and this game will be adjunct to Fantasy football. It will be the first of its kind and will be a LIVE interactive game you play WHILE watching your favorite team every Sunday. Play by yourself, or with a group of football buddies, or in a company network game with pro athletes and celebrities!

By pre-registering now, you will receive:
* 1 entry into a drawing to win a 55" HDTV (drawing on Launch Day)
* An Invite to a network game with a $100 cash prize (no fee to enter)
* Be one of the first of millions to play the game!
* Extra tokens and loyalty reward points

www.firefan.com - ACCESS CODE = NYC420

or click directly here: FireFan420

Good Luck! The game will ALWAYS be FREE to download and play on Google Play Store or iTunes and available in 177 countries! NFL football will be the first game, 2017 will launch Soccer, NBA, MLB, NHL, Rugby, Cricket, NASCAR, MMA and more!

Watching Sports will never be the same, ignite your passion with FireFan!