• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I work with a former steelers coach

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a coach in the 80s for 5 years or so. He said the stress was too much and the off season was the most difficult part.

Pretty laid back guy now.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the most difficult part of NFL offseason?

Has he said?

I never would've expected that at the professional level.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda makes sense to me...Offseason workouts which you have to set the routines/drills...Making sure the guys are working out...Making sure they're eating right and not ballooning to 500lbs...Things like that...

If they screw up, it's probably on your head since you're their coach...

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the most difficult part of NFL offseason?

Has he said?

I never would've expected that at the professional level.
Kinda makes sense to me...Offseason workouts which you have to set the routines/drills...Making sure the guys are working out...Making sure they're eating right and not ballooning to 500lbs...Things like that...

If they screw up, it's probably on your head since you're their coach...

Scouting and conditioning took up most of his time in the off-season.

This man still gives interviews and is good friends with current broadcasters, former players & coaches. He was dropping some names today at lunch that drove me nuts.

I need to get some stories out of him. Very interesting history.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but the whole off season was different back then to today style... Lot of these players now live around the area they have their team headquarters and work out under the guy of a trainer.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but the whole off season was different back then to today style... Lot of these players now live around the area they have their team headquarters and work out under the guy of a trainer.....
Coaches are not even really allowed contact with them for big chunks of the off season

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches are not even really allowed contact with them for big chunks of the off season

That's right..my cousin knows a current asst NFL coach pretty well and I've met him a few times back when I co-owned a biz with this cousin.

The training part they can if the player comes to the team facility, but that's it.

Mostly what these coaches do from end of the season to the draft is draft oriented. I know the Steelers have a pretty big contingent at the Sr Bowl. Right after the draft they have the rookies in for a few days...after that they have a couple of weeks off until mini camp.

It's a 49-50 week a yr job....like most of us.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right..my cousin knows a current asst NFL coach pretty well and I've met him a few times back when I co-owned a biz with this cousin.

The training part they can if the player comes to the team facility, but that's it.

Mostly what these coaches do from end of the season to the draft is draft oriented. I know the Steelers have a pretty big contingent at the Sr Bowl. Right after the draft they have the rookies in for a few days...after that they have a couple of weeks off until mini camp.

It's a 49-50 week a yr job....like most of us.

If I had no wife and kids I would do it in a heart beat