• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I was wrong about Alex Smith

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I said that there is no way that this team could compete with Smith as the starter. I said that he was the one player on the team that absolutely had to be replaced before the Niners could be a real contender. The team certainly looks like a real contender with Smith starting so I have to own up to being wrong.
I am torn on what I would like the Niners to do with him over the next three seasons but he is certainly showing me some things I never expected him to show.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have been an Alex Smith supporter for most of his career. However, these past few years, I couldn't help but think he was not the solution at QB...and I'm sure the majority of fans had the same mindset. At some point, you have to move on. I'm just glad we didn't - because I'm excited for his success.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Props to you, sayheykid. Even if Alex ends up not being the answer (which is likely), admitting this can do a lot to make the season even more enjoyable. Rather than having to point out how he's not elite or not the answer or winning in spite of him (to support a previous stance, not as a separate debate), we can just hope for the best without making grand projections. I'm not saying he's great, but taking away the negative (of feeling like you have to defend your previous stance) moves debate on to another level and makes fandom more fun.

So I recognize that you are not saying he's great, but I think it means a lot to move on beyond your stated stance pre-season. Rep!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I said that there is no way that this team could compete with Smith as the starter. I said that he was the one player on the team that absolutely had to be replaced before the Niners could be a real contender. The team certainly looks like a real contender with Smith starting so I have to own up to being wrong.
I am torn on what I would like the Niners to do with him over the next three seasons but he is certainly showing me some things I never expected him to show.

by the end of last season, everyone felt the same, so everyone is owning up.

once Harbaugh got on board with using Alex Smith, there were different degrees of support, but at best, most weren't much higher than say 50 out of 100?

it WILL be an interesting off-season with Alex? while we don't want to commit a franchise contract, think management has no choice if this keeps up?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

once Harbaugh got on board with using Alex Smith, there were different degrees of support, but at best, most weren't much higher than say 50 out of 100?

it WILL be an interesting off-season with Alex? while we don't want to commit a franchise contract, think management has no choice if this keeps up?

The first part of what you said (that I hope I bolded correctly) is NOT true. I didn't think that Smith was completely at fault for his lackluster performance over the past few years, but given the coach the Niners hired, the lockout, and the lack of viable BETTER options, I did think that he was the best option to bring back. I thought that the best case scenario was exactly what we are getting currently...I just didn't expect the turnaround to be so soon.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The first part of what you said (that I hope I bolded correctly) is NOT true. I didn't think that Smith was completely at fault for his lackluster performance over the past few years, but given the coach the Niners hired, the lockout, and the lack of viable BETTER options, I did think that he was the best option to bring back. I thought that the best case scenario was exactly what we are getting currently...I just didn't expect the turnaround to be so soon.

in reading your response, realized i didn't quite hit it right? yes, once Harbaugh decided to purse Alex in EARNEST, most realized it was the best option. didn't quite hit it right cause was thinking of his expected performance, not if he was the best option? my bad.

don't recall anyone coming out saying he would perform in games this well? but no doubt whats surprising is its from game 1. for myself, didn't think he'd play this well till maybe second 8 games?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i expected it to take until the 2nd half of the season for smith to really get things going. overal i think the offense has been slow to put things together, but they looked a lot better against the giants. offensive line being able to pass block effectively is the big key.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line being such a huge contributor to the offense has allowed Alex to stay poised and make quick decisive throws. He's been smart with the football and taking more control than year's past.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Offensive line being such a huge contributor to the offense has allowed Alex to stay poised and make quick decisive throws. He's been smart with the football and taking more control than year's past.

He even seems to have a swagger off the field that I have never seen before and I like it.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we will have to, Alex Smith has the money and is smart so it's unlikely that he will blow it. I think winning and being in the right situation is more important and Harbaugh is the right situation and the 49ers look like they can be good for the long run. Of course we are going to have to put up a competitive offer no one wants to be taken for granted.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will have to, Alex Smith has the money and is smart so it's unlikely that he will blow it. I think winning and being in the right situation is more important and Harbaugh is the right situation and the 49ers look like they can be good for the long run. Of course we are going to have to put up a competitive offer no one wants to be taken for granted.

From the way the FO approached free agency this year, I feel assured that they won't do a move like Arizona did with extending Kolb so long and for so much, or Vick, or maybe even Fitzpatrick. I think winning will do a lot for free agents, though the mighty dollar plays a factor. They'll find a good value for Alex and he'll stay - now, Alex just needs to keep this up to warrant a contract.

I'm not a business man or a PR guy so I don't really understand the need for teams to quickly extend when they get a player via trade. One one hand, if you traded value, you want a deal most of the time because trading for one year wastes the draft pick or whatever you sent. Also, you want to show your players and fan base that you believe in the guy you brought in. Plus, contracts favor the FO in cutting players and guaranteed money is the key factor.

However, for players like Kolb who haven't proven anything, what is the need to hurry up and sign him to a huge deal after trading? He can't nix the trade, he's unlikely to kill the fanbase with public complaints about contract issues, he has all the incentive without a contract to play hard, and if it works out, you have the lead to resign him. I'm not advocating to waiting until the offseason, but at least wait until Week 1, right? If they were that sure of Kolb, that's rediculous. He may pan out as it is too early to show him the door, but come on. It's like buying an engagement ring for a set-up or blind date. Sure, your friend knows the girl and only has the best interests for you, and you've seen her picture (maybe) but a little premature, don't you think? When the team is working for extensions and sees a big trade, I doubt they will quit because the FO hasn't given Kolb a big deal. So it just seems to be desperation and hope, which of course, are strong feelings.

Even if Kolb was lighting it up, would he refuse a contract if offered today? The contract may be higher but that seems to be less than losing it. The key factor here is the ability to cut him and come out ahead. Without that, I think teams would be as hesitant as I am to extend. Great thing, huh? Plus, you need to incentivize the hell out of the deal.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the way the FO approached free agency this year, I feel assured that they won't do a move like Arizona did with extending Kolb so long and for so much, or Vick, or maybe even Fitzpatrick. I think winning will do a lot for free agents, though the mighty dollar plays a factor. They'll find a good value for Alex and he'll stay - now, Alex just needs to keep this up to warrant a contract.

I'm not a business man or a PR guy so I don't really understand the need for teams to quickly extend when they get a player via trade. One one hand, if you traded value, you want a deal most of the time because trading for one year wastes the draft pick or whatever you sent. Also, you want to show your players and fan base that you believe in the guy you brought in. Plus, contracts favor the FO in cutting players and guaranteed money is the key factor.

However, for players like Kolb who haven't proven anything, what is the need to hurry up and sign him to a huge deal after trading? He can't nix the trade, he's unlikely to kill the fanbase with public complaints about contract issues, he has all the incentive without a contract to play hard, and if it works out, you have the lead to resign him. I'm not advocating to waiting until the offseason, but at least wait until Week 1, right? If they were that sure of Kolb, that's rediculous. He may pan out as it is too early to show him the door, but come on. It's like buying an engagement ring for a set-up or blind date. Sure, your friend knows the girl and only has the best interests for you, and you've seen her picture (maybe) but a little premature, don't you think? When the team is working for extensions and sees a big trade, I doubt they will quit because the FO hasn't given Kolb a big deal. So it just seems to be desperation and hope, which of course, are strong feelings.

Even if Kolb was lighting it up, would he refuse a contract if offered today? The contract may be higher but that seems to be less than losing it. The key factor here is the ability to cut him and come out ahead. Without that, I think teams would be as hesitant as I am to extend. Great thing, huh? Plus, you need to incentivize the hell out of the deal.

When I say competitive I'm saying something in the ballpark of what other teams would offer and I am all for waiting until after the season is over or if he's continuing to play consistent make an extension offer a few weeks before the playoffs maybe after the Steelers game. I think a 5-7 Million a year for 3 years is a fair deal.

I don't like Incentive deals for QB's, you don't want your QB audibling out of a run play on the goal line to pad his TD stat. Just about any other position incentives work. It's like in politics, you don't want your law makers thinking about how something effects them before how it effects the country or their districts or state. When a player with the power a QB has to change the game you don't want him thinking how a certain play may effect his pay. Not saying Alex Smith would do that, just don't want the temptation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When I say competitive I'm saying something in the ballpark of what other teams would offer and I am all for waiting until after the season is over or if he's continuing to play consistent make an extension offer a few weeks before the playoffs maybe after the Steelers game. I think a 5-7 Million a year for 3 years is a fair deal.

I don't like Incentive deals for QB's, you don't want your QB audibling out of a run play on the goal line to pad his TD stat. Just about any other position incentives work. It's like in politics, you don't want your law makers thinking about how something effects them before how it effects the country or their districts or state. When a player with the power a QB has to change the game you don't want him thinking how a certain play may effect his pay. Not saying Alex Smith would do that, just don't want the temptation.

yeah, Alex will want to stay so that'll help a lot. don't think his market value is 'franchise' to any other team, despite what he's doing now. that said, don't think this range is high enough?

wouldn't extend him now, just let the season play out.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think 3 years 7 million would be a pretty fair contract for both sides.

That's still cheap for starting QB money and if for some reason he regresses and sucks or someone on the roster out plays him like CK it's not a huge debilitating contract to eat.

I think the best time to extend him and other guys like Rodgers and possibly Edwards if he's willing is right before the playoffs start.

That will boost the morale and confidence of those guys going into the game and you want to show guys on the team if you perform we'll take care of you.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That's still cheap for starting QB money and if for some reason he regresses and sucks or someone on the roster out plays him like CK it's not a huge debilitating contract to eat.

I think the best time to extend him and other guys like Rodgers and possibly Edwards if he's willing is right before the playoffs start.

That will boost the morale and confidence of those guys going into the game and you want to show guys on the team if you perform we'll take care of you.

ok, i see the logic, so if they re-sign him before the play-offs, fine with me.

but wouldn't you want to see how he does IN the play-offs? i'm assuming we play at least two games.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Three years is my max and they have to be willing to make him the backup in that time frame.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Smith will get more than 2.3 Mil per year. 2 years, 8 million is more like it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Three years is my max and they have to be willing to make him the backup in that time frame.

three years is fine but it takes two sides to agree?

btw - if we decide to re-sign Alex, there shouldn't be any talk of being a back-up? you go in saying you're our guy so lets get the deal done.

everyone knows its competition every off season and just like any player on any team, at some point someone will 'out compete' you. so when somebody beats out Alex, he simply becomes the back-up at that time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to quote people tangentally and it sometimes doesn't line up well. I think you were correct in what you said, I just used your quote as a vehicle to rant about Kolb and extensions. Waiting until the offseason makes sense and 5-7 a year sounds reasonable. I'd still add in incentives just because I like Alex as a player. If I were the FO, the 5-7 would already include the incentives, maybe.

As for incentives, I'd only put them in for winning, not for stats. It really isn't an incentive as much as it is more assurance that I get what I pay for (or rather that I pay for what I get - to the extent possible) That would limit the use of incentives quite a bit, so that goes counter to my comment re: incentivizing the hell out of a deal. I think we have less to worry about with Alex, but statistical manipulation for self gain is always an issue.