• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think Palmer just took the lead for MVP

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer has had a better year than Newton. That's what it's about right?

I really hope Carolina loses next week and we both finish 14-2 w/ us taking the tie-breaker for the 1 seed. I feel like that may be the only way for Palmer to win because everyone is obsessing over CAROLINA's team record.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you for a moment think that Palmer could have that Panther's team with no offensive weapons and no OL at 14-1 and being the highest scoring team in the league?

That is the reason Cam is still going to win this thing IMO.

Cam this season is the perfect example of how stats don't lie but never tell the full story.

This is the most frustrating logic for a fan to have ever. If MVP voting comes down to hypothetical situations like the one you just mentioned then I quit. So we're going to punish Palmer for having some good WR's and a solid O-line? Ok.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most frustrating logic for a fan to have ever. If MVP voting comes down to hypothetical situations like the one you just mentioned then I quit. So we're going to punish Palmer for having some good WR's and a solid O-line? Ok.
Have to agree, because it necessarily relies on hypotheticals and speculations.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should go to MVPalmer. He's literally played at a very good to elite level every single game this year. I think Cam probably has too, but he's thrown for like 1,000 yards less.

I don't get why Russell was ever in the conversation. He was barely mediocre for 9 weeks, then he was incredible for 6, and back to mediocre last week. Palmer and Newton have resumes. Russell had a hot streak (albeit, a VERY hot one)

And Cam has ran for 1000 more yds than Carson too......

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady has 2 overtime losses where he did not touch the ball in overtime

both on the road versus Playoff teams

He has a 13-1 W-L record in regulation and better passing stats.....all with half his receivers injured

And even healthy, his guys are not even close to as good as playmakers as Arizona's.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer has had a better year than Newton. That's what it's about right?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but look at 1987. John Elway won the MVP, but nobody could say he was better than Joe Montana. Now, if you wanna argue that Montana and Jerry Rice (who should've been the MVP) split votes to cancel each other out, then I can see it.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you for a moment think that Palmer could have that Panther's team with no offensive weapons and no OL at 14-1 and being the highest scoring team in the league?

Cam this season is the perfect example of how stats don't lie but never tell the full story.
I actually agree with this.

Without cams rushing ability, they are not the same team. Palmer is the better QB, but cam is the better football player. Cam wins the MVP regardless of what happens in week 17 imo.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cam also played weaker competition including the the NFC East and AFC South. The two weakest divisions in the NFL this year. Along with playing in a weaker divans to begin with. Palmers 1 loss was to A Steelers team thats in the playoff hunt. Cams was to A disaster of A Falcons team. You really cant ignore the stats when you look at the big picture either. Palmer put up big stats playing games against some of the best defenses in the league. While Cams stats don't match up having played some of the worst defenses in the league. Including 4 games vs the worst 3 defenses in the NFL. You also cant say Cam doesn't have "weapons" Stewart put up more Rushing yards than Johnson. And Olson was 13th in receiving yards. And a major mismatch for A lot of defenses. In the end cam isn't the pretty picture he's being painted out to be. While Palmer has proven A lot more than he's being given credit for. Carson deserves the MVP IMO

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady has 2 overtime losses where he did not touch the ball in overtime

both on the road versus Playoff teams

He has a 13-1 W-L record in regulation and better passing stats.....all with half his receivers injured

And even healthy, his guys are not even close to as good as playmakers as Arizona's.
I don't agree with this.

First of all, you can't discount an entire game because he didn't touch the ball in 2 ot's. That just doesn't make any sense. Especially when Brady was somewhat responsible for the games having to go to OT.

Second, Brady plays in an offense that suits his skill set. Short quick passes to TE's and slot receivers. If you put Brady on the Cards with Arians playbook he would have 20 ints because he has major issues with the deep ball.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod's numbers are generally better than Cam's though. That is how pedestrian Cam has been this season

There's no way a QB would be in the MVP discussion by playing pedestrian. Clearly you're just a blind hater of Cam.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way a QB would be in the MVP discussion by playing pedestrian. Clearly you're just a blind hater of Cam.
I've watched his last two games. He isn't doing great by any stretch of the imagination. In just about every stat Palmer has him, as well as everyone else, beat.

But don't take my word for it. Look at his stats thru week 16

Passing yards: ranked 16th
Yards per attempt: 10th
Completion Percentage: 31st
Pass attempts: 16th
Passing TD: 6th
QB Rating: 8th

Should he be in consideration for the most valuable player in the NFL with those numbers?

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched his last two games. He isn't doing great by any stretch of the imagination. In just about every stat Palmer has him, as well as everyone else, beat.

But don't take my word for it. Look at his stats thru week 16

Passing yards: ranked 16th
Yards per attempt: 10th
Completion Percentage: 31st
Pass attempts: 16th
Passing TD: 6th
QB Rating: 8th

Should he be in consideration for the most valuable player in the NFL with those numbers?

You're going off passing alone, which isn't Cam at all. I'm not going to debate with somebody who isn't going to see the full picture.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Carson Palmer has had 12 games with a QB rating over 98 (Cards are 12-0 in those games)
- The Cardinals are 1-2 this year when Palmer has a QB rating under 98
- Palmer has 1 game all year under 60 % completion percentage (59 % week 1)

- The Panthers are 6-1 when Cam Newton has a QB rating under 80
- Cam has had 8 of 15 games with a QB rating over 97
- Cam has had a total of 5 games over 60 % completion

Top 3 in QBR this year is
1. Palmer (83.1)
2. Big Ben (75)
3. R. Wilson (73.6)

13. Cam Newton (65.3)

- Palmer has had 2 games all season with a QBR under 73 (Cards lost both games)
- Cam has had 9 games with a QB under 73 (Panthers are 8-1 in those games)

- Cam has had 7 games with a QBR under 50 (42.4, 49.1, 19.7, 49.5, 27.8, 33.9, and 39.2). The Panthers are 6-1 in those games
- Palmer has not had a QBR under 50 since week 4 of 2014

To have a better gauge of what kind of QB has QBRs in the 40-50 range. The list includes Colin Kaepernick (47.6), Blaine Gabbert (43.1), Brock Osweiler (50.3)

Cam is certainly deserving of being in the discussion considering what he has been able to do with the depleted core of wide receivers around him. However, when you look at which QB has contributed more towards their team winning it is Palmer.

The Cards don't win when Palmer has an off day. Cam has had wins where he has thrown 1 td 2 int and 1 td 3 int. Cam has had multiple wins when he has finished with a QBR under 50. Meaning he is playing like Colin Kaepernick and the Panthers are 6-1 in those games.

Cam is probably going to end up winning it, but the numbers and the eye test show that Palmer is more deserving.

Last edited:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Carson Palmer has had 12 games with a QB rating over 98 (Cards are 12-0 in those games)
- The Cardinals are 1-2 this year when Palmer has a QB rating under 98
- Palmer has 1 game all year under 60 % completion percentage (59 % week 1)

- The Panthers are 6-1 when Cam Newton has a QB rating under 80
- Cam has had 8 of 15 games with a QB rating over 97
- Cam has had a total of 5 games over 60 % completion

Top 3 in QBR this year is
1. Palmer (83.1)
2. Big Ben (75)
3. R. Wilson (73.6)

13. Cam Newton (65.3)

- Palmer has had 2 games all season with a QBR under 73 (Cards lost both games)
- Cam has had 9 games with a QB under 73 (Panthers are 8-1 in those games)

- Cam has had 7 games with a QBR under 50 (42.4, 49.1, 19.7, 49.5, 27.8, 33.9, and 39.2). The Panthers are 6-1 in those games
- Palmer has not had a QBR under 50 since week 4 of 2014

To have a better gauge of what kind of QB has QBRs in the 40-50 range. The list includes Colin Kaepernick (47.6), Blaine Gabbert (43.1), Brock Osweiler (50.3)

Cam is certainly deserving of being in the discussion considering what he has been able to do with the depleted core of wide receivers around him. However, when you look at which QB has contributed more towards their team winning it is Palmer.

The Cards don't win when Palmer has an off day. Cam has had wins where he has thrown 1 td 2 int and 1 td 3 int. Cam has had multiple wins when he has finished with a QBR under 50. Meaning he is playing like Colin Kaepernick and the Panthers are 6-1 in those games.

Cam is probably going to end up winning it, but the numbers and the eye test show that Palmer is more deserving.

I just hope the voters are as smart as you and don't buy into all that other BS. Numbers never lie. Palmer is clearly the better player and quite frankly it's not close. The media won't tell you that though because they still aren't sure which state the Cardinals play in.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should go to MVPalmer. He's literally played at a very good to elite level every single game this year. I think Cam probably has too, but he's thrown for like 1,000 yards less.

I don't get why Russell was ever in the conversation. He was barely mediocre for 9 weeks, then he was incredible for 6, and back to mediocre last week. Palmer and Newton have resumes. Russell had a hot streak (albeit, a VERY hot one)
Russell has been to the playoffs every year he has been in the league.
2-0 in NFCCG'c.
1-1, in Super Bowls.
I'm not saying RW should be in the discussion of MVP, but what do you mean when you say CP and CM have resume's but RW does not???

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going off passing alone, which isn't Cam at all. I'm not going to debate with somebody who isn't going to see the full picture.
A Seahawk fan just can't understand the value of a dual threat QB?

It's possible that many of us who believe Palmer should be the MVP do understand the value of a dual threat QB, but don't think that it's enough to offset Palmer's significant advantage as a passing QB.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam was only in the MVP discussion because his team was undefeated. Obviously winning games is important but he's a mediocre QB who has faced very few actual good teams so it makes him look more impressive than he really is.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add in running stats and he doesn't make up a lot of ground...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell has been to the playoffs every year he has been in the league.
2-0 in NFCCG'c.
1-1, in Super Bowls.
I'm not saying RW should be in the discussion of MVP, but what do you mean when you say CP and CM have resume's but RW does not???

You are looking at his career resume where the poster was looking at just this year alone. When Wilson had his hot streak some people were talking about his climbing into the MVP discussion and they were just saying that while he had an amazing few games there when you look at the entire season his numbers just don't add up to the top contenders for the MVP so they don't understand how he even got his name mentioned for MVP.