• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I personally guarantee this series will go better: TEX v DET 7/19-22

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't know for sure until they get into games though. 19 teams passed on Mike Trout. Mike Piazza wasn't selected until Round 62, and that was just as a favor to his dad. You never know what you have with a player until you see them in action.

Not saying we found any diamonds in the rough, but scouting isn't an exact science.
Point well made. Guarantee it.LOL

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know what to think about this rebuild to date. About the time we look pretty good we turn to a bad smelling substance.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know what to think about this rebuild to date. About the time we look pretty good we turn to a bad smelling substance.

It all starts with the farm system, and I think it's generally accepted that the Rangers have improved theirs in the past year or two. Leiter will certainly help that along, and next year should continue that. Can't know how the garden is going to turn out until the plants grow.

EDIT: that being said, you do need to pick seeds that have the greatest chance to grow into something, and it does seem like the Rangers picked some questionable seeds this year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all starts with the farm system, and I think it's generally accepted that the Rangers have improved theirs in the past year or two. Leiter will certainly help that along, and next year should continue that. Can't know how the garden is going to turn out until the plants grow.

EDIT: that being said, you do need to pick seeds that have the greatest chance to grow into something, and it does seem like the Rangers picked some questionable seeds this year.
Most of the time we have a keeper or two to start the following year. If we lose Gallo and Gibson, I can not see much left I want to keep. That puts a lot of weight on farm system and FA's. Really think FO was hoping to find a few keepers but not sure if that happened. Young has a lot of responsibility riding on him right now.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the time we have a keeper or two to start the following year. If we lose Gallo and Gibson, I can not see much left I want to keep. That puts a lot of weight on farm system and FA's. Really think FO was hoping to find a few keepers but not sure if that happened. Young has a lot of responsibility riding on him right now.

Allard and Dunning are in the "keep" category for me. Garcia as well. IKF, Heim, White, and Lowe are in the "Maybe" pile. I don't focus on the BP much these days but there's gotta be one I would probably hang onto.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't know for sure until they get into games though. 19 teams passed on Mike Trout. Mike Piazza wasn't selected until Round 62, and that was just as a favor to his dad. You never know what you have with a player until you see them in action.

Not saying we found any diamonds in the rough, but scouting isn't an exact science.
That's true, but when our scouts continue to differ from most others it makes you wonder.

I really like our second pick, but he really should have been picked a round later according to most folks who studied the draft and who had questioned a lot of scouts.

When we pick a guy who others think should be picked 10 or 20 picks later that is one thing, but sometimes we get guys 100 picks or more sooner than it seems they should.

If we had a track record of finding diamonds in the rough on a regular basis it would not be as disappointing. It is almost like the organization is looking to make a name for itself by going the contrarian route.

I just wish they would have played it safer with our first 4 picks and then looked for overlooked guys.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but when our scouts continue to differ from most others it makes you wonder.

I really like our second pick, but he really should have been picked a round later according to most folks who studied the draft and who had questioned a lot of scouts.

When we pick a guy who others think should be picked 10 or 20 picks later that is one thing, but sometimes we get guys 100 picks or more sooner than it seems they should.

If we had a track record of finding diamonds in the rough on a regular basis it would not be as disappointing. It is almost like the organization is looking to make a name for itself by going the contrarian route.

I just wish they would have played it safer with our first 4 picks and then looked for overlooked guys.
Foscue

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No keepers in our infield, that’s for sure

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but he was a really questionable pick.
He went 18 picks higher than MLB Pipeline had him. Picking the 32nd guy at 14 is not that big of a deal. And I bet no one wrote anything about Foscue like what K. Law wrote about our 2 picks that I mentioned.

Also, Fangraphs had Foscue mocked the pick prior to the Rangers at 13.

If Foscue had been slotted by most folks 100 picks lower than the Rangers, I would still like more than one name that was proven to show their contrarian view was correct, in order for me to feel better about their drafting ability. And Foscue is not proven yet himself, although I like him as a prospect a whole lot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from an evaluation of Foscue as a possible Yankee pick just before the 2020 draft.

"Foscue is currently ranked as the 32nd best draft prospect by MLB Pipeline and 40th by Baseball America. Bleacher Report, in their most recent mock draft, had the Yankees taking Foscue with the 28th overall pick. Some other mock drafts have had him coming off the board earlier, but there is a good chance that he should be available when the Yankees make their first pick."

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went 18 picks higher than MLB Pipeline had him. Picking the 32nd guy at 14 is not that big of a deal. And I bet no one wrote anything about Foscue like what K. Law wrote about our 2 picks that I mentioned.

Also, Fangraphs had Foscue mocked the pick prior to the Rangers at 13.

If Foscue had been slotted by most folks 100 picks lower than the Rangers, I would still like more than one name that was proven to show their contrarian view was correct, in order for me to feel better about their drafting ability. And Foscue is not proven yet himself, although I like him as a prospect a whole lot.

I was referring more to his profile as a player, and yeah he wasn't as "rough" as the players Law was talking about.

I remember being disappointed with the Foscue pick at the time.