• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Brewed Some Beer Today

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you do the brew in a bag method huh? I was always curious about trying it. Also is that a 5 gallon pot and a separate hot water tank for your sparging? not really sure what's going on there...

I don't have the equipment yet for all grain, so I do extract brewing myself using specialty grains and whatever else I add, but It's a full boil in a 9 gallon pot (outside with propane). Unfortunately I'm not good at controlling how much I boil off so end up with funky volumes.

The brew I did today was supposed to finish at 1.065, but I got 1.053... and 6 gallons! Well more beer the better I guess. I just hope it won't taste too watery and overpowering hops.

1.030 is way low for a brew I would think. You might want to pick up some DME, boil for 30 min, and add it to your primary.

I'm not familiar with the term "brew in a bag" but I hold my grains in grain socks if that's what you're asking. And I have two five-gallon pots each extracting one sock of grain. There were 6 pounds in one sock and 5 in the other. I might have to go back to half-mash until I get a place with a better kitchen and a bigger brew pot, but that's a decision I'll make after I find out how this batch turns out.

I also have no idea what the gravity is supposed to be on this beer. The recipe didn't say. Of course, with 11 pounds of malt, I figured it should have been higher than it was. Of course, I made a porter that came out to an initial gravity of 1.030, and it turned out quite delicious, so I'm not giving up on this batch just yet.

I'm hoping that when my rent is up at my apartment (you may have noticed my kitchen is kind of tiny), I can find some roommates and rent a house for a couple years. If that's the case, we'll probably get one of those outdoor things you have and use the 5-gallon pots for sparging. If we decide we can tolerate each other for a few years, I'll also get some kegging equipment and go that route.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you mash for an hour in the pots, then how do you sparge? Do you just heat up to ~170 then hold the bag up over the pots until they are done draining?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you mash for an hour in the pots, then how do you sparge? Do you just heat up to ~170 then hold the bag up over the pots until they are done draining?

I squeezed them.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice, im in the process of finishing off my saison and my ipa from my kegerator...next on the list

1. my variation of charlie papazian's Palilalia India Pale Ale. made it once a few years ago...delicious

2. California common

3. Orange Blossom Amber (amber beer with orange blossom honey)

second two i havent done before, probably going to be ordering ingredients this week

hawkeyedan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame there isn't a beer forum to post about it, though. :p...........................................

hey, a fellow homebrewer, alright! yes, it's too bad that there isn't an area on this forum for beer. if you're looking for a forum that's all about homebrewing beer, you should check out homebrewtalk.com.