• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huge Trade

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 team H2H points, 40 man rosters, keep 13 majors, 13 minors

Was offered Shields, F.Lindor for S.Castro and Bundy
A SP/SS on each side, each at opp ends of developmental scale.
I have D.Gordon on my bench for MI slot as well as Gyorko and Dietrich as options to fill Castro spot.
My SPs are really really good: Strasburg, Darvish, S.Miller, Wainwright and Moore. Sounds ridiculous I know to get another arm, but I'm concerned that come playoff time, Miller may be shut down and my only other SP depth is Petitte.
I think Lindor is > than Bundy at this point with Bundy's elbow concerns. I also think Lindor could be a top 5 prospect by year's end. Really. he's a stud in the making.

I left his offer open, sent him a note and another offer including J.Montero if he'd add Napoli. Would be a huge coup for this year, but might be a stretch as far as him accepting. He'll likely counter with Buck (he's got two catchers)

Any thoughts on the deal as is, or should I hold out for a catcher. It is my one glaring weakness. I do have Zunino in my minors, so I'd only be looking to cover C slot for this year in all likelihood.
Thanks

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on the fence witht htis trade... on one hand i think Starlin castro is overrated... but the other hand sees that your replacement SS is Dee gordon... And with your already stacked rotation it may not be worth the trade... I agree lindor could be somethign special... but by the sounds of your rotation, you should be competing for the title this season, so looking for the future is not where i would go... Dee gordon is a good part time replacement, but he has moved around too much in the lineup so far that he may only be good for SB...

I think if you make this trade then the next move is to make another trade... shelby miller and dee gordon for ian desmond???

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks....
I'm not really trying to look to the future in any deals in this league (although I'm pre-disposed to do so lol)
I just thought it was a great well-thought out offer, and if I can get 75% of Castro from my bench guys, I'd gain a fair bit in my rotation come playoff time. The other factor is that Miller qualifies as RP this year, so I could always plug him there.
Gaining Lindor over Bundy isn't a big factor, but IF Bundy's arm troubles don't improve with this PRP treatment, his stock plummets and I'll miss the boat.

UPDATE: Almost like I know my owners, he countered with Buck lol. I don't want him but I suppose a C playing every day couldn't be a lot worse than what Montero is doing :(

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that trade would have weakened your team Castro is a good SS already and young. Lindor could be good but until he does something above A ball I don't see a need to risk trading an already established young SS for a (possible) future SS. You're not really gaining anything here with youth. Castro & a pitcher like Shields could net you the same kind of player next year.
Besides, I don't see Asdrubal Cabrera going anywhere anytime soon so Lindor is at least 2014 Summer callup away. And Dee Gordon is no lock to stick so that leaves Gyorko who could be a nice fill in if you are comfortable with him.

And I share your same concerns with Bundy's elbow and Miller possibly being shut down or skip down the line. It looks like your staff is poised to win now so I don't see the need to trade for Bundy unless your minor league pitching prospects already on your team are weak. (who do you have pitching wise in the minors?)

And if your real motive was to move Montero (I know how much you want to get rid of him and don't want to drop him), I might look elsewhere for a catcher. Buck is already on the decline and you'll only be looking for a catcher next month when the bottom completely falls out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Rev on this. Don't know much about Lindor, but Castro is a bird in the hand kinda situation. I do love Shields, though.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Jim...
I'd be dealing Bundy and getting Shields.
I don't think Shields is necessarily enough to get Castro, but thought getting Lindor over Bundy helped :)
I turned down the Buck idea... I agree.
I should just drop Montero for Ellis and be done with my inner turmoil haha

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow did I have a brain fart answering this, guess I should have had my coffee first.:ranger:

OK what I said about the SS still sticks.

As for Shields & Bundy, I think that is a good deal and improves your already good staff. I'm not going to try and predict who will be better long term between Lindor & Bundy, you seem to like Lindor more and getting a player your like is just as important that who will be better.

As much as I like the improvement to your staff, I don't think it's worth potentially weakening your hitting to do so. Your staff is solid as is right now. You can get the same type of pitcher a month from now for Castro so why not wait. By doing so you give Gyorko some time to get seasoned and give you a better idea of what you've got with him. If he looks like he is gonna be ok then consider trading Castro later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salty and Avila.
I could probably roster 2 Cs as I can clear a bench spot. Then I could just play based on weekly matchups.
It's boring but might be effective.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salty and Avila.
I could probably roster 2 Cs as I can clear a bench spot. Then I could just play based on weekly matchups.
It's boring but might be effective.

Avila isn't doing much so no to him. Salty is an interesting player, but his inconsistencies bother the hell out of me. I'd go with Ellis for now and if you want to take a flyer on Salty as a backup, that's your call but I wouldn't.

Personally I like Jordan Pacheco bat, but he's not gonna get enough playing time.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, call me crazy, but I think that deal should work out nice for you. First of all, I'm not a big fan of Castro. I think he's very good, but not the stud everyone claims he is. He is still not walking, at that won't change. Sure, he can give you some nice 20-20 seasons, but I would take the chance here mostly due to your own thoughts... Miller getting "semi-shut down".

Two things will happen.

1. Gordon and Gyorko do just enough to make losing Castro not hurt at all.

2. Shields bolsters your staff for the near term, allowing you to play tough matchups, and when the time is right, you can swing him and the hitter at the end of your bench for maybe that Catcher you're looking for or an upgrade if your MI spot craps out....or both?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or if you can't make that swing deal with Shields, and he keeps hurling like he can, maybe you ship one of those younger arms out for that special upgrade...

I guess it all depends on the roster of the owner with the catcher you want. Would he rather someone like Castro, or an arm? Who has Posey? Would he deal him for Castro? Shields and something? Or Miller himself? Shelby's value is probably at it's peak right now, until he forms into what he will be... the thing is, some people out there see his potential even higher than it is due to his current production, you should take advantage of that... especially if you can replace him with Shields right now!

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got an offer out there for Posey with Castro involved. He's a Cubs fan, though he doesn't generally let it affect his team.
I just swapped Bundy for Lindor.
He'd still do the Shields/Castro part, so likely a win-win for me as I can take the part I like and still likely do the other (or something similar) later.
Thanks gentlemen

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge trade, but i'd like some input: i'm offered Mark Reynolds straight up for Matt Carpenter. Non keeper, H2H points league. I'm in pretty good shape already so it's not something I need to do, but i'm wondering y'all think.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds has more upside, Carpenter has the position flexibility thing going for him and he also should be more consistent. If you don't really need either player, then I would be tempted to go with the upside of Reynolds, but I generally prefer consistency in points leagues if either of these players are every week starters.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with your trade chef, but about 2 weeks ago I was offered Reynolds for Slowey(whom I was ready to drop anyhow-spot start) b/c the other owner wanted an extra Sunday start against his opponent. I happily obliged and everytime he homers I send a nice lil "thank you" text to him. Great trade for me there.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with your trade chef, but about 2 weeks ago I was offered Reynolds for Slowey(whom I was ready to drop anyhow-spot start) b/c the other owner wanted an extra Sunday start against his opponent. I happily obliged and everytime he homers I send a nice lil "thank you" text to him. Great trade for me there.

WOW...this is like a textbook case of "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

:lol: