• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hub Arkush: Gruden in talks with the Raiders about a return

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Jon Gruden talking to the Raiders about a return | ProFootballTalk

This specific rumor seems to be a little far fetched. Then again, the fact that new owner Mark Davis isn’t happy with the direction of the team could make him interested in talking to Gruden. And since Gruden is interested in maximizing his leverage, it makes sense that Gruden would listen.

That's what I thought.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex across the bay? Didn't Gruden drool all over him earlier this year? Palmer's contract may prevent that scenario but I'm no cap junkie.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex across the bay? Didn't Gruden drool all over him earlier this year? Palmer's contract may prevent that scenario but I'm no cap junkie.

Gruden drools over everybody. It's seriously annoying. It's so bad that his family doesn't want him eating dinner with them anymore.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gruden drools over everybody. It's seriously annoying. It's so bad that his family doesn't want him eating dinner with them anymore.

His support for most players is well documented but if he ever gets a HC job it would be interesting to see if that team would pursue Smith if he were available at that time.

Gruden and the Bucs were reportedly very high on Alex Smith back in 2005 and it was reported that he was their number one player on their board. They also really liked Cadillac Williams, and Gruden has said since draft day that he was their pick all along. Probably because they knew they couldn't get him. They engaged trade talks with the 49ers just days before the draft, but they, along with the Dolphins and Redskins, among other teams as well if I remember correctly, did not offer up enough in the 49ers eyes to make the move.

Obviously times have changed since then and many variables are and would be different if he got back into coaching, so it's far from a sure thing, but I'm just pointing out that at least when it comes to Smith, his affection for Smith might be more genuine than other players he talks about.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They engaged trade talks with the 49ers just days before the draft, but they, along with the Dolphins and Redskins, among other teams as well if I remember correctly, did not offer up enough in the 49ers eyes to make the move.

Man...if only we had moved back and taken someone else...what could have been....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His support for most players is well documented but if he ever gets a HC job it would be interesting to see if that team would pursue Smith if he were available at that time.

Gruden and the Bucs were reportedly very high on Alex Smith back in 2005 and it was reported that he was their number one player on their board. They also really liked Cadillac Williams, and Gruden has said since draft day that he was their pick all along. Probably because they knew they couldn't get him. They engaged trade talks with the 49ers just days before the draft, but they, along with the Dolphins and Redskins, among other teams as well if I remember correctly, did not offer up enough in the 49ers eyes to make the move.

Obviously times have changed since then and many variables are and would be different if he got back into coaching, so it's far from a sure thing, but I'm just pointing out that at least when it comes to Smith, his affection for Smith might be more genuine than other players he talks about.

Thanks for the information, Pozz. I had heard the Tampa Bay interest before, but that was from someone arguing for/defending Alex, so I wasn't sure how strong it actually was. I think Smith would be interested if Palmer isn't back, partly because of his family, his wife being a former Raider as a coincidence. He could still be close to the SF Giants.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...if only we had moved back and taken someone else...what could have been....

Cadillac Williams? :noidea::whistle:

;)

Seriously though, if things turned out how some assumed, we wouldn't have Harbaugh and to a lesser extent, Kaepernick. But who needs Harbaugh if we won?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cadillac Williams? :noidea::whistle:

;)

Seriously though, if things turned out how some assumed, we wouldn't have Harbaugh and to a lesser extent, Kaepernick. But who needs Harbaugh if we won?

yup smith was they key to our future super bowl run.

but anyways, please someone hire gruden ffs.