• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you build a dominant D?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some people agree & some disagree that You-Know-Who isn't going to win a SB without a legendary defense. I'm talking SIGNIFICANTLY better than last season. Whether you agree with me or not, I'm sure you'd agree that it'd be a good thing to have the best defense in the NFL (or top 2).

So the question is how would you do it? I've posted all offseason how I'd do it. Don't worry about cap issues; I'm just curious which players added to the current roster you would think would make it dominant. What would you consider a great defensive roster?

Or is it even possible to bulid a dominant defense at this point? Are they stuck with a good one like last year in a best-case scenario?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some people agree & some disagree that You-Know-Who isn't going to win a SB without a legendary defense. I'm talking SIGNIFICANTLY better than last season. Whether you agree with me or not, I'm sure you'd agree that it'd be a good thing to have the best defense in the NFL (or top 2).

So the question is how would you do it? I've posted all offseason how I'd do it. Don't worry about cap issues; I'm just curious which players added to the current roster you would think would make it dominant. What would you consider a great defensive roster?

Or is it even possible to bulid a dominant defense at this point? Are they stuck with a good one like last year in a best-case scenario?

don`t feel you can build a dominant defense anymore, the rules simply favor the offense.

to be `nearly dominant`, we could use another rusher on passing downs. whether from the inside, outside, or blitzer, add pressure.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Get a great Defense Coordinator! Draft 8 defensive players and master all possible blitzes!!:)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't see who could agree with that, given that he was basically a play or two away from winning the Super Bowl and advancing to the Super Bowl the past two years. The D in 2012 was worse than last year's, and he came within five yards.

It's curious that in Sick World we DEFINITELY would have won the Super Bowl with Mike Wallace, but apparently never could have won it with Kap starting for us and no Mike Wallace.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
don`t feel you can build a dominant defense anymore, the rules simply favor the offense.

to be `nearly dominant`, we could use another rusher on passing downs. whether from the inside, outside, or blitzer, add pressure.

Did you guys (Sick as well) miss the entire 2013 season? Seems like the Hawks built a dominant defense just this past year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you guys (Sick as well) miss the entire 2013 season? Seems like the Hawks built a dominant defense just this past year.

guess it depends on how you define "dominant"? i took it to mean "legendary" like the '89 49ers, the '85 Bears, the '00 Ravens.

the Seahawk defense was good, but was it much farther ahead than ours? three years from now, are you going to say without hesitation, the '13 Seahawk D was clearly DOMINANT?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would start by coaching our secondary to hold and do everything seattle DB's do. Not joking either. It annoys the fuck out of me, but it is also smart. With our front 7 that right there would make them dominant.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
guess it depends on how you define "dominant"? i took it to mean "legendary" like the '89 49ers, the '85 Bears, the '00 Ravens.

the Seahawk defense was good, but was it much farther ahead than ours? three years from now, are you going to say without hesitation, the '13 Seahawk D was clearly DOMINANT?

Let's see: #1 in yards allowed, #1 in points allowed, #1 in turnovers. In the playoffs, they held opponents to 15, 17, and 8. The eight points came against the most efficient offense in the history of the league. Yes, I'd say that D was dominant.

Obviously it's a different era even than it was in 2000. The days of allowing 10 points a game are over. But this was one of the best passing Ds ever in an era when the league is designed to allow for passing. There's no doubt in my mind that those guys will go down as one of the best defenses ever. And they were markedly better than our D last year, particularly in terms of forcing turnovers (10 more INTs).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seatle's D was one of the best I have seen in a long time. They won every game in the playoffs because of their D. Their Offense didn't have to do anything. Just don't turn over the ball.

Yes this was one of the great D's. I would say Top 10 of all time(playoffs alone should put them there.)

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

In today's NFL it's difficult to build a consistently dominant defense so I don't think 2011 is happening again.

Though I will say there is a chance that we could see another dominant year in 2015 or 2016 if things go well for us.

If Carrdine and Okoye live up to the hype, Lemonier becomes Robert Mathis to Aldon Smith's Dwight Freeney, and we draft well in terms of the secondary in this upcoming draft I could see us having a pretty young and really dominant D.

But a lot of things have to go right for that to happen which is why dominant D's aren't all that common in the NFL nor do they last long.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Secondary should be smart, front 7 should bludgeon.

This picture just excites me

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same way you build a dominate Offense. Everything starts on the line. You put together a dominate Defensive Line and find either a Linebacker or Safety that can be the leader of the unit and make the right calls for them. Once you have your line in place you get the right Linebackers and Safeties, and then top it off with a good set of corners.

The best set of corners and linebackers in the league is never going to make up for a poor defensive line. It's pretty much exactly like how the best QB, RB, and receivers in the league will never make up for a horrible offensive line. If you can't win in the trenches you can't win much of anything.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's curious that in Sick World we DEFINITELY would have won the Super Bowl with Mike Wallace, but apparently never could have won it with Kap starting for us and no Mike Wallace.

You're mixing things up. Kaepernick WAS starting the year Wallace was available as a RFA.

Maybe you meant Steve Smith? And I never said #7 couldn't have won it all w/ Steve Smith at WR in 2011. He was a rookie, so I would've had serious doubts; but the defense in the 2011 playoffs was MUCH better than it is right now. It was as good as it's been since 1997 at that time.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Same way you build a dominate Offense. Everything starts on the line. You put together a dominate Defensive Line and find either a Linebacker or Safety that can be the leader of the unit and make the right calls for them. Once you have your line in place you get the right Linebackers and Safeties, and then top it off with a good set of corners.

The best set of corners and linebackers in the league is never going to make up for a poor defensive line. It's pretty much exactly like how the best QB, RB, and receivers in the league will never make up for a horrible offensive line. If you can't win in the trenches you can't win much of anything.

Maybe I wasn't clear:

I'm looking for names (other than coaches). Whom would you add to the current roster? Or is it even possible at this point?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up front. You must be able to pressure the passer and not let him be comfortable in the pocket.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not going to use the word "legendary", but to put this team in the midst of those 9er, Bear, and Raven's teams is correct.
Some have argued the Seahawk team was more dominate considering the "legendary" offense they faced in the biggest game of the year.
Dominate is a polite description.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Seattle's D last year was at least in the "legendary" discussion IMO.

The Buccs' D in '02 was one of the best of all time as well.

I know it all depends on what one means by their descriptive words, but I think most people got the point of what I was asking.