• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Much Blame Does Baalke Deserve?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of focus is on the coaching staff and players, and rightfully so, but what about Baalke? How much blame does Baalke deserve and do you want him fired along with Harbaugh and his coaching staff? Here's my takes on some key positions:

WR: Besides Crabtree, his WR draft picks have been terrible, and some would argue that Crabtree isn't even that good. He also put together a receiving corps this year that is made up entirely of possession receivers. In his defense, he probably thought that VD would continue to be the deep threat and matchup nightmare that he was in years past.

RB: His draft picks at running back haven't been much better than his picks at receiver. Perhaps Hyde will some day redeem him at the running back position (although Hyde is only averaging 3.6 yards per carry right now).

KR/PR: Baalke has let this team be without a decent KR since Ginn left. We absolutely need someone to help with the field position game.

CB: He hasn't gotten us a good cover corner yet, choosing to go with a safety in Jimmie Ward in the first round of the last draft.

QB: He hasn't gotten us a decent backup QB who can push Kaep or replace him, and many would argue that extending Kaep was a mistake. Kaep might still pan out, but if he doesn't, we are looking at another lost season next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke gets some blame because he let this team with a coaching walking out the door. He should of traded Harbaugh or let him go. U can even see he isn't the same coach on the sideline as the last 2 years. Baalke built a nice team just need to get a coach that wants to be here.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of focus is on the coaching staff and players, and rightfully so, but what about Baalke? How much blame does Baalke deserve and do you want him fired along with Harbaugh and his coaching staff? Here's my takes on some key positions:

WR: Besides Crabtree, his WR draft picks have been terrible, and some would argue that Crabtree isn't even that good. He also put together a receiving corps this year that is made up entirely of possession receivers. In his defense, he probably thought that VD would continue to be the deep threat and matchup nightmare that he was in years past.

RB: His draft picks at running back haven't been much better than his picks at receiver. Perhaps Hyde will some day redeem him at the running back position (although Hyde is only averaging 3.6 yards per carry right now).

KR/PR: Baalke has let this team be without a decent KR since Ginn left. We absolutely need someone to help with the field position game.

CB: He hasn't gotten us a good cover corner yet, choosing to go with a safety in Jimmie Ward in the first round of the last draft.

QB: He hasn't gotten us a decent backup QB who can push Kaep or replace him, and many would argue that extending Kaep was a mistake. Kaep might still pan out, but if he doesn't, we are looking at another lost season next year.

I think Baalke has done a good job. Rate him a B.

QB - How could Baalke NOT have extended Kap after the first two years? The money looks crazy, but QB money is always crazy. Also, probably about 75% of the NFL teams don't have a decent backup QB. Hell half don't even have a good starting QB. The case can be made that Alex Smith was the starter and Ballke got a good backup QB to take over in Kap.

WR - AJ Jenkins was a bust that very few people liked from the very beginning. But hell, we basically have 5 guys that are or were 1,000 yard receivers (Boldin, Crab, Vernon, Johnson, Lloyd) on the team and I can't fault Baalke that our offense can't get them the ball. Receivers have been open their share of the time. Compare that to Seattle who has ZERO 1,000 yard receivers and Boldin might have more yards then their top two receivers combined.

RB - Kendall Hunter is a good back and Carlos Hyde can be the heir apparent. Lattimore was a roll of the dice and I don't have a problem with that pick. LaMichael James was the read option RB to go with Kap, but it's not something Harbaugh was interested in running very much and wanted more power.

CB - Ward did a decent job, but his size is getting him in trouble and yeah we definitely could have gone another way with our 1st. Dontae Johnson looks pretty good and Baalke has to get credit for picking up Cox who has done well, but is tailing off. Brock did well in 2013 but hurt 2014 and Baalke drafter Culliver who has also played well. He also completely reloaded our safeties with Reid and Bethea who have done a great job and saved a ton of money doing it (Goldson and Whitner make good money now).

Baalke has made his share of mistakes (2012 draft), but the team sucking right now isn't his fault and I can't even say it's partly his fault. Our coaches and offense have just bent over and taken it smiling.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Baalke has done a good job. Rate him a B.

QB - How could Baalke NOT have extended Kap after the first two years? The money looks crazy, but QB money is always crazy. Also, probably about 75% of the NFL teams don't have a decent backup QB. Hell half don't even have a good starting QB. The case can be made that Alex Smith was the starter and Ballke got a good backup QB to take over in Kap.

WR - AJ Jenkins was a bust that very few people liked from the very beginning. But hell, we basically have 5 guys that are or were 1,000 yard receivers (Boldin, Crab, Vernon, Johnson, Lloyd) on the team and I can't fault Baalke that our offense can't get them the ball. Receivers have been open their share of the time. Compare that to Seattle who has ZERO 1,000 yard receivers and Boldin might have more yards then their top two receivers combined.

RB - Kendall Hunter is a good back and Carlos Hyde can be the heir apparent. Lattimore was a roll of the dice and I don't have a problem with that pick. LaMichael James was the read option RB to go with Kap, but it's not something Harbaugh was interested in running very much and wanted more power.

CB - Ward did a decent job, but his size is getting him in trouble and yeah we definitely could have gone another way with our 1st. Dontae Johnson looks pretty good and Baalke has to get credit for picking up Cox who has done well, but is tailing off. Brock did well in 2013 but hurt 2014 and Baalke drafter Culliver who has also played well. He also completely reloaded our safeties with Reid and Bethea who have done a great job and saved a ton of money doing it (Goldson and Whitner make good money now).

Baalke has made his share of mistakes (2012 draft), but the team sucking right now isn't his fault and I can't even say it's partly his fault. Our coaches and offense have just bent over and taken it smiling.

pretty close to my opinion too.

that's how it is when a team starts losing, fans point fingers EVERYWHERE. if we REALLY wanted to connect things, yes Baalke as GM has to share in the blame. But he has done a good job OVERALL, if the talent level starts to drop off NEXT year, then his share increases.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

McCloughan drafted Crabtree not Baalke

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCloughan drafted Crabtree not Baalke

Shoot, then there goes the credit I gave him for drafting a good WR. LOL. To his credit, Baalke was probably part of that process of selecting Crabtree, as he was already working for the team at that point, but as you mentioned, McCloughan was the GM at the time.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty close to my opinion too.

that's how it is when a team starts losing, fans point fingers EVERYWHERE. if we REALLY wanted to connect things, yes Baalke as GM has to share in the blame. But he has done a good job OVERALL, if the talent level starts to drop off NEXT year, then his share increases.

I agree about the finger pointing. Things are rarely as black and white as people want them to be or make them out to be. It's easy to be at home saying this or that, but a GM has so many more things to factor in. Baalke with players has to factor in the system Harbaugh runs besides just the player. People complain about our team speed at WR, but we did absolutely nothing with Ted Ginn at WR and he's one of the fastest guys in the league and Stevie Johnson has good speed and Lloyd isn't slow either.

Have to factor systems, the cap, resigning your own guys, and yes you have to factor in peoples feelings. Let's be real, you have some gladiators on the team like Justin Smith, but those guys are rare. It's alot more common to have divas like Crab and Kap. It's been said numerous times in reports that the team will not make an outside guy the highest paid person on the team except for a rare exception (Peyton Manning). That's not a decision made without taking a hard look at the egos etc of the players on your team. It also sets a bad precedent.

You also have to factor in what your owner wants and how much interference you get from him (Jerry Jones). People complain about Harbaugh coming in with one year left, but you don't trade a coach like that or even have the Browns report coming up without your owners ok or even him being the force behind it. If Jed really wanted Harbaugh to stick around he'd tell Baalke and Harbaugh to deal with each other and that's it. York could also have gotten a contract done with Harbaugh anytime he wanted to by opening the wallet. If Baalke hasn't gotten a deal done with Harbaugh on an extension it's either because York told him to hold off or York gave Baalke a strict budget.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not worried about the 49ers with Baalke. We just need some new coaching. I give Kap next season to see if its Him or Roman and if Kap has another bad year Bye. cut him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be weird but I would draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd just in case.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im not worried about the 49ers with Baalke. We just need some new coaching. I give Kap next season to see if its Him or Roman and if Kap has another bad year Bye. cut him.

If the Niners have a new HC next year, he will want his "guy" as the QB unless the current QB is either

A. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, or Ben Rothlisberger

B. The salary of the current QB is too much of a salary cap hit for them to unload him...

And since Kaep not one of the above and his salary is team friendly, chances are high that he won't be the starting QB

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This might be weird but I would draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd just in case.

I would draft a QB round 1 IF good value turns up that way. but we're projected to pick near 17th, so very unlikely.

it wouldn't be "just in case", you'd do it thinking he's our next QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Niners have a new HC next year, he will want his "guy" as the QB unless the current QB is either

A. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, or Ben Rothlisberger

B. The salary of the current QB is too much of a salary cap hit for them to unload him...

And since Kaep not one of the above and his salary is team friendly, chances are high that he won't be the starting QB

don't disagree with this line of thinking, but it isn't easy to get a starting QB. So Kaep has a chance to return as starter, just no guarantee he remains there all next season.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team really does believe that Kap is the problem then you got a chance to trade your 1st and/or Harbaugh and Kap for a higher 1st. That's the key question Baalke has to find the answer to, whether Kap or the coaching was the problem.

We know Roman is problem 1A, but he isn't the only problem. It wouldn't be out of line for Baalke to talk to some of your real leaders (Willis, Bowman, J. Smith, Gore, Staley, Boldin) and ask them how they really feel about Kap and Harbaugh. Does Harbaugh's act override him taking an underachieving 2010 team and turning that same team into a championship contender?

Or does Kap's talent outweigh him being full of himself and his biceps to put in real QB work (film prep, keys, etc)?

We can all guess, but the real answer is gonna take conversations with players and staff and inside knowledge of the game plan, calls, etc.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the team really does believe that Kap is the problem then you got a chance to trade your 1st and/or Harbaugh and Kap for a higher 1st. That's the key question Baalke has to find the answer to, whether Kap or the coaching was the problem.

We know Roman is problem 1A, but he isn't the only problem. It wouldn't be out of line for Baalke to talk to some of your real leaders (Willis, Bowman, J. Smith, Gore, Staley, Boldin) and ask them how they really feel about Kap and Harbaugh. Does Harbaugh's act override him taking an underachieving 2010 team and turning that same team into a championship contender?

Or does Kap's talent outweigh him being full of himself and his biceps to put in real QB work (film prep, keys, etc)?

We can all guess, but the real answer is gonna take conversations with players and staff and inside knowledge of the game plan, calls, etc.

yes, many things are going wrong, not just Kaep, not just Roman, etc.

from reading articles last TWO years, my impression is he does work hard. but working hard and translating it onto the field are two different matters. from last season and this season, we can tell he just doesn't have enough to reach the next level.

don't think he is a BAD QB, but our expectations are sky high, so he is being critiqued to a higher level.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL he will be the starting QB and a lot of coaches would want to coach kap. So i have no idea what u are talking about. 2nd Brees is done, and Luck hasn't done much.

Gruden has already stated that he loves what Kap brings to the table so if he is the next coach I think we will be fine.

The negative about losing harbaugh its some what starting over and we might lose Fangio.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

from reading articles last TWO years, my impression is he does work hard. but working hard and translating it onto the field are two different matters. from last season and this season, we can tell he just doesn't have enough to reach the next level.

don't think he is a BAD QB, but our expectations are sky high, so he is being critiqued to a higher level.

see I think the problem is coaching him and not putting the players in the best position to win. I think they put too much on Kaps plate. What was wrong with the last 2 years. Why make this crazy change and make him a pass happy QB. Oline has been a big problem this year but we had 2 big injuries on the oline. So maybe a new OC and an Healthy Oline will be enough for Kap to get back to what he can do to help this team win.

Next year is a big year for Kap. If he has another bad year he gone and that is why you draft a QB in Rd 2-3 for that just in case situation.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I probably read those same articles lol. I do remember mention of his work ethic and I do know they talk about him working out, but besides Harbaugh I don't know if I can remember anyone saying he spends a ton of time in the film room.

I agree the expectations are incredibly high, they always will be for a QB of the 49ers, and it's tough to live up to that. I think what is depressing the most is Kap has regressed so badly. I think we could have all taken a bad season if Kap was lighting it up and giving us hope, but there is so much wrong right now.

The one thing I can think of that isn't remotely realistic to fix this team is to bring in a great OC and pay him big money to come here. Harbaugh would never agree to that though for a lot of reasons, but it would save his job and restore fans faith that Kap can get turned around and maybe restore the faith of the offensive guys.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach, but has worn out his welcome. My main fear is Mariucci 2.0 where we fire a guy with no plan in place and everything falls apart all over again. Could Jed repeat his dads mistake?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I probably read those same articles lol. I do remember mention of his work ethic and I do know they talk about him working out, but besides Harbaugh I don't know if I can remember anyone saying he spends a ton of time in the film room.

I agree the expectations are incredibly high, they always will be for a QB of the 49ers, and it's tough to live up to that. I think what is depressing the most is Kap has regressed so badly. I think we could have all taken a bad season if Kap was lighting it up and giving us hope, but there is so much wrong right now.

The one thing I can think of that isn't remotely realistic to fix this team is to bring in a great OC and pay him big money to come here. Harbaugh would never agree to that though for a lot of reasons, but it would save his job and restore fans faith that Kap can get turned around and maybe restore the faith of the offensive guys.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach, but has worn out his welcome. My main fear is Mariucci 2.0 where we fire a guy with no plan in place and everything falls apart all over again. Could Jed repeat his dads mistake]?

unfortunately, there aren't many coaches better than Harbaugh. So odds are high we won't get a better one. if he has worn out his welcome, a FO working together beats one that isn't, no matter how good Harbaugh is. So have to agree we move on.

John York started out with the right idea, he initially brought back Bill Walsh. Bill Walsh endorsed Donahue so how do you argue with that? As the Owner, John York takes the blame cause it comes with the territory, but also saying John wasn't flat out bad.

if we measure the next HC against Harbaugh, odds are high he won't match up. So if you mean Jed will make this mistake, how can he avoid it?

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, without Harbaugh, Kaep is a casualty!

He was hand picked by Jim and wanted him to have the job, because he wasn't part of the decision in drafting Alex.

Like I said before, Kap is a decent QB if the running game is working and read opt is part of the game plan. He's not a pocket passer that can dissect a defense, but exactly the opposite. It's tough to be real successful for very long that way. I think he could start somewhere, not sure where at this point. At worst he's a #2.

:2cents:

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately, there aren't many coaches better than Harbaugh. So odds are high we won't get a better one. if he has worn out his welcome, a FO working together beats one that isn't, no matter how good Harbaugh is. So have to agree we move on.

John York started out with the right idea, he initially brought back Bill Walsh. Bill Walsh endorsed Donahue so how do you argue with that? As the Owner, John York takes the blame cause it comes with the territory, but also saying John wasn't flat out bad.

if we measure the next HC against Harbaugh, odds are high he won't match up. So if you mean Jed will make this mistake, how can he avoid it?

I agree with this. But I think we can get a coach that is very good and an ego that isn't the size of Michigan!