• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many players away?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I consider the roster, I personally dont think too many players need to be added to the roster, just a couple important pieces here and there. We have our core units (assuming Suh is back) and our stars so now we need to put it all together.

The oline needs a tweak, some more experience under the system and maybe one new starter, IMO. We also need a quality RB. Thats just two guys on offense.

On the dline, I think we only need two guys if we get Mosley and Suh back. If we keep Fairley, we are in better shape. I think we need one starting CB but its not a emergency.

So, I think we need about 4-5 guys and we're good.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need either a starting caliber LG (I think Swanson could surprise here but I'd still draft another LG) or OC.. IMO, if we signed proven 4 yr veteran starting C Hudson, we could relax quite a bit regarding our O-Line.

Signing Suh is almost paramount to the D-Line. At worst bring back Mosley as the other DT. Fuellen has been in camp every yr at some point so he's a viable option for rotation and cheap.

I think we should bring back ILB Bynes again as he's used to this system, having played for Austin while with the Ravens (that solves backup ILB with Whitehead starting).

I think we should draft another OLB similar to what VanNoy's skill-set was coming out of college

I think we should definitely draft another CB that fits what Austin is looking for. I'll agree wit Micro in that it doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd round guy but should be a guy Austin is highly confident in grooming to become a #2 CB.

If Jason Jones is cut we'll need to look for another big, athletic DE...maybe FA or more likely draft

Draft for me is
DT (if Suh isn't re-signed, whether it's Danny Shelton or Malcom Brown, no matter how it's done)

RB (be nice to have the #1 RB this year.. depends on if Suh is back)

OL (if Hudson signed, then 'd look for a versatile OL [OT/OG] somewhere later, 4th or 5th rd.)

CB (would be my 2nd priority if the talent-skillset matches draft grade)

DE
OLB

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6-7 Guys

1-OL
2-DT
1-RB
1-CB
1-OLB
1-DE

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 guys. A hungry LG, a young RB to spark the O and compliment the veteran WRs, and a TE capable of being a red zone threat every time we're inside the 20.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add 1 O-coordinator to the mix. Fuck our current one. That is all.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three or Four guys. (This is assuming Suh is back)

Either a C or a LG. Im confident Swanson can be competent.

A true #1 RB. Bell has backup abilities, that's fine. If he's a backup.

A high end nickel back or high end reserve Free Safety. Im cool with Quin as the nickel. But Id like for him to be there without sacrificing much at safety. I like IAQ, but I want more. (This is assuming Mathis is resigned on the cheap.)

The fourth depends on the fate of Tully, Fairley and Jones.

If Suhs not back Im not even gonna speculate how many we need, cuz it won't matter. And I won't care all that much either.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CB Rob?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Smitty and Blue.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy there, Micro. Give the young Lombardi a chance. Hopefully Austin doesn't experience a turn around next year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually hoping more fans would chime in on this one. I'd like to know what everyone thinks we need.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but I disagree with all of you, if the question is "how many players we are away(from being contenders)".

The answer is clearly 0 if we bring Suh back. We were legit contenders last year. We have a legit D and a streaky offense. Offense gets hot at right time, boom! And that's assuming our offense stays the same. Some progression should be expected.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CB Rob?

What kind of window are we talking? 1-2 years? Mathis is old on paper, but plays like a hungry 30 year old. Christmas Slay showed me something last year.

I would not complain if they took the kid from State in round 1. I still badly want(ed) Dennard.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy there, Micro. Give the young Lombardi a chance. Hopefully Austin doesn't experience a turn around next year.

He's on a short leash....very short.

I know, he'd never been a coordinator before. But Austin hadn't either. If our offense has another year like last year, his leash will be removed and hopefully he runs away.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CB Rob?

My name isn't Rob, but I think Waynes would be awesome teamed up with Slay on the other side. Can you imagine what Austin could do with a secondary of Slay, Mathis(Waynes in nickel/waiting in wings), Quinn, and Digs? Scary.

If not Waynes I'd like the Williams kid from FSU

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rushing attack finished 28th last season. So either upgraded O-line or a fresh set of legs at the RB position. It's also safe to assume our CB play won't be as great next season, especially if Suh leaves with all his QB pressures. So another CB wouldn't be out of the question. I do like the Trey Waynes guy Micro mentioned earlier. Guy seems pretty talented.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the defensive side of the ball I say two. An impact OLB (hoping that a healthy Van Noy can actually be that guy) and a top end CB (that's why I have said to pursue Revis).

On offense you need to revamp that o-line in a big way. I believe it will take two guys there. I hope that Fuller or even Broyles can step it up and be an impact #3 WR as well, otherwise we need someone there and lastly a legitimate RB who is a homerun threat. We had that for about 10 minutes with Best, who just suffered another concussion shaving I'm told.

So I say six but hope that two of them are already on the roster. You could have a third if Swanson proves to be legit. While its early in his career I just don't see that and think his best role for us is a versatile, quality back up on the inside.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the posts about Revis and other super high profile name FA's coming here and I wish it were true but I don't see any of them (other than Suh, who started here) coming to Detroit. Revis seems like a guy who would go sign w Denver, Baltimore, Seattle or Green Bay if the Patriots let him go. He'd go to only teams he and everyone else felt had a legit chance to win the Super Bowl next year. I'm not sure the Lions fit that category yet. The Lions are more so in the tier below those teams w Dallas and AZ right now.

Just my opinion on Revis' chances of being a Lion.

I think most veteran high profile FA's have similar views on when they want to play each year when given a choice.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure on a firm number of exactly what gets us over the top, so I'll go by position from biggest need to smallest:

1.) LG- Sims has definitely regressed, time to move on. Draft a kid or sign Hudson and slide Swanson over.

2.) DT- this is all dependant on what we do in free agency, imo. We had three starting caliber DTs in Suh, Fairley, and Mosley. If we bring two of the three back then we don't have a big need there. If we only re-sign one of the three then we need to go after another starter at the position.

3.) RB- Bush has jumped the proverbial shark, imo. I'd love to see us get a stud 3 down-home run back, but I'd settle for a big bruising 240+ lb. guy to pound it up the middle if not.

4.) RT- I like Waddle, but can he stay healthy? If so, then we're in good shape with the young depth we have there. If not then we need a new starter at the position.

5.) CB- We need a successor to Mathis within the next couple years, and we need a nickel back or two. Our starters at the position are good, but our depth could be much better, imo...

6.) KR/PR- Ross took a step back this season and has never been particularly explosive. An electric return man could add a real spark to our ST units...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the posts about Revis and other super high profile name FA's coming here and I wish it were true but I don't see any of them (other than Suh, who started here) coming to Detroit. Revis seems like a guy who would go sign w Denver, Baltimore, Seattle or Green Bay if the Patriots let him go. He'd go to only teams he and everyone else felt had a legit chance to win the Super Bowl next year. I'm not sure the Lions fit that category yet. The Lions are more so in the tier below those teams w Dallas and AZ right now.

Just my opinion on Revis' chances of being a Lion.

I think most veteran high profile FA's have similar views on when they want to play each year when given a choice.

Fair enough. But money talks and many of those teams aren't IMO possibilities for him.