• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many games will Texas win next season?

How many games will Texas win in 2014

• 12 and qualify for Playoff

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 11 and be a Playoff contender

• 10 and make a BCS/CFP @ large game

Votes: 7 15.2%

Votes: 15 32.6%

Votes: 14 30.4%

Votes: 5 10.9%

• 5 or fewer

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6-6. Will probably win a couple of games they should lose, and vice versa.

FireCharliedotcom will appear sometime around mid-October.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hookem, Horns.

Yall would no better than I. Didnt know Oky Jr was getting gutted.

Same as Stanford... They have many (Golden Era) players leaving.

That SR class was absolutely incredible. But man, they are losing all the big guns. Be interesting to see if Stanford reloads and contends for another Rose Bowl. I am hoping not... lol.

Anyways, with Texas' struggles with KSU I could see the Hookems have that game circled as a must win in 2014. Of course they are all must win, but extra motivation is on the table here and Strong could easily change that trend in that matchup in year one.

Way too early to make a prediction. I see the Big 12 improved.
OU: much improved
TCU: better
WV: better
OSU: drop back
Baylor: same, slight step back
Tech: Improved
KSU: Improved
Kansas: Improved, but who cares
ISU: Improved.. Mangino joining the staff. Guy knows offense
Texas: lets get a OC first. Off the top of my head, I would say slightly better. Stilll a lot of questions that are near impossible to know.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6-6. Will probably win a couple of games they should lose, and vice versa.

FireCharliedotcom will appear sometime around mid-October.
-
really not unrealistic. A lot will depend on QB situation and what offense Strong brings in with him. Defense should be OK. OL losing 3, means the offense may have some really season issues. Texas won 8 games vs the worst Big 12 I have seen. That will not happen next yr.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Coach Strong to win 10 games and win a Big 12 conference title in his 1st year. If Malzahn can take AU to the BCS title in his 1st year, then Strong should work miracles, too, especially at $5M a year. The defense and offense returns a lot of experience; Mack didn't leave the cupboard bare at all. The talent is there, it just needs to be coached up the right way and that is why Coach Strong was hired.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Coach Strong to win 10 games and win a Big 12 conference title in his 1st year. If Malzahn can take AU to the BCS title in his 1st year, then Strong should work miracles, too, especially at $5M a year. The defense and offense returns a lot of experience; Mack didn't leave the cupboard bare at all. The talent is there, it just needs to be coached up the right way and that is why Coach Strong was hired.

Malzahn was at Auburn two years ago so he was already familiar with the team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
not so sure about that. Offense:
QB: nobody knows. Could be a true freshman, Swoopes, or Ash..
RB: Gray is out.
WR: Davis was the most productive WR, he is gone
OL: 3 of 5 are gone. Sounds like Cochran (opening day starter at OT) is content to ride into the sunset also. That would be 4 out of 5 opening day starters.

Defense:
DE: Jeffcoat gone. Reed may go pro
DT: Set
LB: Everyone back
Secondary: Best safety in Phillips is gone. Best cover CB is gone.

Strong is going to have to do serious work to get to 10-12 wins. I think Auburn had more talent than people realized this yr.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen lots of coaches come into these stocked teams and have a great first year or two. Even Charlie Weis looked great his first couple years at ND.

It's possible that they have a big bounce in his first year, depending on who's your OC. We know the defense is going to be badass under Coach Strong.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen lots of coaches come into these stocked teams and have a great first year or two. Even Charlie Weis looked great his first couple years at ND.

It's possible that they have a big bounce in his first year, depending on who's your OC. We know the defense is going to be badass under Coach Strong.

That is why it intrigues me so much.

This 1st year under Strong could shock us all with a great year and imo just as likely it could go sideways.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why it intrigues me so much.

This 1st year under Strong could shock us all with a great year and imo just as likely it could go sideways.
I have a hard time believing in a big run with the OL needing rebuilding. I there is some nice parts behind, but career starts on the OL is a great indicative stat. Texas doesnt have great numbers there. I do think Texas may have a top 10 defense next yr. Pretty amazed that Texas had one of the best DLs in the country and were mediocre on defense. Pretty harsh indictment of the coaching staff. I think 8-9 sounds right. Ash comes back and I will up the number.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, I will back my shit up with facts and not opinion. So far Jace Amaro and Lache Seastrunk have declared to leave early for the NFL out of the entire Big 12.

The only starting QB's leaving the Big 12 are Case McCoy and Clint Chelf

The Big 12 only losses half their top 10 RB's

The Big 12 only losses half their top 10 WR/TE

The Big 12 only losses half their top 10 interceptions leaders

The Big 12 only losses 3 of their top 10 sack leaders

The Big 12 does lose 6 of their top 10 tackle for loss leaders

Take out early entree for NFL guys from any other conference and I bet we stack up well. The Big 12 will not be worse in 2014. Texas and Charlie Strong have their work cut out for them. I believe he is up to the task but it isn't going to be easy. Much harder than what Mack faced this year.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very intriguing team with new HC Strong at the helm. It will be very interesting to see the results in the first year of this new era.

Disclaimer: Texas fans, not trying to stir shit. Just curious of the public's opinion.

2014 Schedule

N Texas
BYU
UCLA
@ Kansas
Baylor
Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl)
Iowa State
@ Kansas State
@ Texas Tech
West Virginia
@ Oky State
TCU

The key is that we need to start off 4-1. BYU, UCLA, Baylor, and OU in the first 6 weeks is brutal! Luckily we get BYU, UCLA, and Baylor all at home. If we go 2-1 in those 3, with wins vs N. Texas and @ Kansas we will be 4-1 heading into the RRR.

If we do that, and I think we will, I predict a 10 win season.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they struck gold getting strong. florida kicking themselves in the ass for letting him get away.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on another thread a bit back, but....

Here is exactly what we are losing and returning:

We bring back one of the most experienced rosters we have EVER had:

OFFENSE:

QB: Ash (senior); Swoopes (sophomore) - bring back all; - and add one of the top prospects in the country;
RB: Gray (junior); Brown (senior); Johnson (junior); Bergeron (senior) - bring back all; - Gray may not start season;
WR: Shipley (senior); M. Johnson (junior); D. Johnson (junior); Sanders (junior) - lose Davis only;
TE: Daniels (senior); McFarland (junior); Swaim (senior) - bring back all;
OG: Riser (sophomore); Flowers (junior) - lose 2 Walters and Hopkins;
OT: Cochran (senior); Estell (junior); Harrison (sophomore); lose 1 but easily replaced;
C: Espinosa (senior); James (sophomore) - bring back all;
FB: Bergeron (senior); Moss (senior) - bring back all;

** On offense we lose 3 total players and our only real loss is the 2 guards. However we still bring back 7 offensive linemen plus the new freshmen. 2 OGs - that's it!

DEFENSE:

DE: Reed (senior); Davis (junior) - lose 1 Jeffcoat, big loss; I think Reed will stay; also bring in one of top DE's in the country;
DT: Brown (junior); Jackson (senior) - lose 1, Whaley; we are loaded and set here;
MLB: Hicks (senior); Santos (junior); Edmonds (senior) - bring back all;
OLB: Jinkens (junior); Jackson (senior); Thompson (senior); Cole (sophomore) - bring back all;
CB: Diggs (senior); Thomas (junior); Davis (sophomore) - lose 1, Byndum;
S: Thompson (senior); Vaccaro (junior); Turner (senior) - lose 1, Phillips; bring in one of the top S's in the nation.

** On Defense we lose 4 total players, with the only big losses being Jeffcoat and Byndum. However we still have at least 3 guys who can fill in for the Byndum loss.

All in all, we lose 2 OGs, a DE, CB, and a S. That is not too bad at all. Factor in a couple other things: i.e. that everyone else will be a year more experienced, and a top 11 recruiting class. There is reason for optimism.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is exactly what we are losing and returning:

We bring back one of the most experienced rosters we have EVER had:

OFFENSE:

QB: Ash (senior); Swoopes (sophomore) - bring back all; - and add one of the top prospects in the country;
RB: Gray (junior); Brown (senior); Johnson (junior); Bergeron (senior) - bring back all; - Gray may not start season;
WR: Shipley (senior); M. Johnson (junior); D. Johnson (junior); Sanders (junior) - lose Davis only;
TE: Daniels (senior); McFarland (junior); Swaim (senior) - bring back all;
OG: Riser (sophomore); Flowers (junior) - lose 2 Walters and Hopkins;
OT: Cochran (senior); Estell (junior); Harrison (sophomore); lose 1 but easily replaced;
C: Espinosa (senior); James (sophomore) - bring back all;
FB: Bergeron (senior); Moss (senior) - bring back all;

** On offense we lose 3 total players and our only real loss is the 2 guards. However we still bring back 7 offensive linemen plus the new freshmen. 2 OGs - that's it!

DEFENSE:

DE: Reed (senior); Davis (junior) - lose 1 Jeffcoat, big loss; I think Reed will stay; also bring in one of top DE's in the country;
DT: Brown (junior); Jackson (senior) - lose 1, Whaley; we are loaded and set here;
MLB: Hicks (senior); Santos (junior); Edmonds (senior) - bring back all;
OLB: Jinkens (junior); Jackson (senior); Thompson (senior); Cole (sophomore) - bring back all;
CB: Diggs (senior); Thomas (junior); Davis (sophomore) - lose 1, Byndum;
S: Thompson (senior); Vaccaro (junior); Turner (senior) - lose 1, Phillips; bring in one of the top S's in the nation.

** On Defense we lose 4 total players, with the only big losses being Jeffcoat and Byndum. However we still have at least 3 guys who can fill in for the Byndum loss.

All in all, we lose 2 OGs, a DE, CB, and a S. That is not too bad at all. Factor in a couple other things: i.e. that everyone else will be a year more experienced, and a top 11 recruiting class. There is reason for optimism.

OL: Lose Walters, Hopkins, and Hawkins. Hawkins and Hopkins were the 2 best lineman.. that is 3.. Cochrane was reportedly weighing in at 250 LBs recently. He was your opening game starter. Estelle started the last game, but was academically ineligible.

No idea where you are getting just 3 players. Relying on Ash and Gray to play is questionable at best.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL: Lose Walters, Hopkins, and Hawkins. Hawkins and Hopkins were the 2 best lineman.. that is 3.. Cochrane was reportedly weighing in at 250 LBs recently. He was your opening game starter. Estelle started the last game, but was academically ineligible.

No idea where you are getting just 3 players. Relying on Ash and Gray to play is questionable at best.

To be fair Cochran didn't start a single game and was not guaranteed to be the starter anyway prior to the season. Harrison was supposed to challenge him and that was why he was brought in. Just didn't work out. Cochran has never been able to keep weight on. 250 is very alarming though. I agree Hawkins and Hopkins were the 2 best OLineman on the team though. I still think Harrison has the best talent on our team. It's just a matter of grasping the position for him. I don't know if he ever will to be honest. Probably was Juco for a reason out of high school. Searles killed it in recruiting on the OL so that is the least of my worries. QB is a much more concerning position IMO. The rest of the offense is stacked. Ash is the key while Swoopes and Heard develop. Ash playing next year is the difference of probably 2 wins or maybe even more.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Cochran didn't start a single game and was not guaranteed to be the starter anyway prior to the season. Harrison was supposed to challenge him and that was why he was brought in. Just didn't work out. Cochran has never been able to keep weight on. 250 is very alarming though. I agree Hawkins and Hopkins were the 2 best OLineman on the team though. I still think Harrison has the best talent on our team. It's just a matter of grasping the position for him. I don't know if he ever will to be honest. Probably was Juco for a reason out of high school. Searles killed it in recruiting on the OL so that is the least of my worries. QB is a much more concerning position IMO. The rest of the offense is stacked. Ash is the key while Swoopes and Heard develop. Ash playing next year is the difference of probably 2 wins or maybe even more.
-
OL generally takes time to develop. It is the hardest position to develop. It requires a lot of team work and physical development. Generally, the closer you are to the ball the longer it takes to develop.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DEFENSE will be dramatically improved. The personnel is there to do it.
It showed signs of getting out of its funk under Robinson. It went from F- to a B- defense.
The Manny Diaz stench took some time to fumigate, but I expect a strong if not dominant defense.

The offense is the WILDCARD.
If Ash and Gray both return, it will be adequate to the task.
If not, there could be so growing pains with a freshman QB and backup running back.
A competent offensive coordinator will help smooth things over a bit as well.

And I think the BIG 12 will be significantly worse in 2014.
Only Oklahoma seems likely to be a to 15 team.
I think Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech come crashing back to mediocrity badly.

Kansas State, WVU, Texas, and TCU will all be a little bit better, but it might not be dramatic.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna show you some star rankings for next year. If Charlie can kick start some of these guys with a second chance and develop them we can have an excellent team that competes for the Big 12. The players will be listed in order of the class they came in with. Using 247 composite rankings.

QB-Ash (4*), Swoopes (4*),

RB-Brown (5*), Bergeron (4*), Gray (5*), Johnson (4*), Overstreet (3*),

FB-Moss (3*), De La Torre (4*)

WR-Jackson (4*), Harris (3*), Shipley (4*), Onyegbule (3*), Sanders (4*), Johnson (4*), Oliver (4*), Warrick (3*), Meander (4*),

TE-Daniels (4*), McFarland (3*), Swaim (3*)

OL-Espinosa (4*), Flowers (5*), Greenlea (4*), Cochran (4*), Doyle (3*), Estelle (4*), Riser (4*), Hughes (4*), James (4*), Perkins (4*), Raulerson (4*), Hammad (4*), Harrison (4*),

DL-Jackson (4*), Reed (4*), Hutchins (3* OL), Brown (5*), Davis (4*), Ridegway (4*), Boyette (3*), Norman (4*), Blueitt (4*), Cottrell (3*),

LB-Hicks (5*), Cobbs (4*), Jackson (4*), Benson (4*), Edmund (5*), Thompson (4*), Jinkens (4*), Santos (4*), Cole (4*), Davis (4*), Hughes (3*),

DB-Diggs (4*), Turner (4*), Evans (4*), Thompson (4*), Scott (3*), Colbert (4*), Thomas (4*), Echols (3*), Vaccarro (3*), Davis (4*), Collins (3*), Huhn (3*),

Then whatever we bring in for class of 2014 too. How do we know what Strong is gonna get out of these formerly highly touted kids that didn't pan out under the old coaching staff?

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
OL generally takes time to develop. It is the hardest position to develop. It requires a lot of team work and physical development. Generally, the closer you are to the ball the longer it takes to develop.

You are correct, but OG has Riser and Flowers primed and ready. They waited their turn and have plenty experience. I'm more worried about OT if Harrison doesn't develop. Espinosa played much better this year so I feel good about inside. Estelle at 1 tackle spot is solid if he gets his shit together.