• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how many for years for Beamer?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many more seasons before Beamer retires? And when he does who do you think replaces him, a coordinator?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
how many more seasons before Beamer retires? And when he does who do you think replaces him, a coordinator?

Just an opinion but i'd say Beamer will be around (as the HC) at least 4 more seasons but will hang it up before 2020.

Not sure who will be hired as he replacement. I think that will have a lot to do with who is AD/President at the time. The way things are run @ VT right now, i would say with almost 100% certainty that it would be an inside promotion. I'd say that both Stinespring (the OC) and Foster (DC) would be candidates and that (5-10 years from now) Shane Beamer could be a serious candidate.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd gonna 6 years and Shane Beamer. Sorry, but Foster strikes me as a Dick Lebeau type. Awesome coordinator, mediocre HC.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd gonna 6 years and Shane Beamer. Sorry, but Foster strikes me as a Dick Lebeau type. Awesome coordinator, mediocre HC.

IMO BUD FOSTER = GREAT COACH,

but being a HC is so much more than coaching. I love the defensive product that Foster puts on the field but i dont know how he would deal with all the off the field stuff. (i.e. dealing with the administration, the media, fund raising, recruiting, etc).

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All hypothetical, but:

4-6 years is when Beamer will leave
Foster will be given a great shot at a HC job somewhere with a better contract deal, so he'll be gone.
Gray will step up as DC.
Newsome will be gone (we can only hope)
Shane will make a case for HC, but he might get passed over for someone older/with the program longer.

Just my thoughts.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO BUD FOSTER = GREAT COACH,

but being a HC is so much more than coaching. I love the defensive product that Foster puts on the field but i dont know how he would deal with all the off the field stuff. (i.e. dealing with the administration, the media, fund raising, recruiting, etc).

In my very humble opinion, one of the greatest myths floating around Hokie Nation is the perception that Bud Foster would not be a good head coach. I simply do not understand this line of thinking at all.
Number one, Bud is as intense and passionate about football as anybody. If given the opportunity to be a head coach, that would be evident from day one.
As far as dealing with the media, Bud is awesome. He doesn't beat around the bush and give the typical coach speak. It is refreshing and something I think would be attractive to recruits. And while Foster has never been a great recruiter, I'm positive he'd make sure he had the recruiters underneath him that could do the job.
Heck, I remember reading a couple of years ago he said he'd like to see VT go to more of a spread offense similar to what Tulsa runs and what Clemson now runs. The fact is, Bud wouldn't be as loyal as Frank in that regard, and would be more than willing to change things up to get the program up to championship level. He demands excellence on the defensive side of the ball, and you can bet he'd do whatever it took to get the offense up to that caliber as well. All he needs is a shot.
With all that said, I agree that I think Shane is probably being groomed as Frank's replacement. I think he'd be a great coach, too. But Bud has more than earned his shot and I truly think he'd be a great one. I'd love for that shot to be in Blacksburg.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my very humble opinion, one of the greatest myths floating around Hokie Nation is the perception that Bud Foster would not be a good head coach. I simply do not understand this line of thinking at all.
Number one, Bud is as intense and passionate about football as anybody. If given the opportunity to be a head coach, that would be evident from day one.
As far as dealing with the media, Bud is awesome. He doesn't beat around the bush and give the typical coach speak. It is refreshing and something I think would be attractive to recruits. And while Foster has never been a great recruiter, I'm positive he'd make sure he had the recruiters underneath him that could do the job.
Heck, I remember reading a couple of years ago he said he'd like to see VT go to more of a spread offense similar to what Tulsa runs and what Clemson now runs. The fact is, Bud wouldn't be as loyal as Frank in that regard, and would be more than willing to change things up to get the program up to championship level. He demands excellence on the defensive side of the ball, and you can bet he'd do whatever it took to get the offense up to that caliber as well. All he needs is a shot.
With all that said, I agree that I think Shane is probably being groomed as Frank's replacement. I think he'd be a great coach, too. But Bud has more than earned his shot and I truly think he'd be a great one. I'd love for that shot to be in Blacksburg.

The foremost reasons I want him to get a shot!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% agreed.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Bud can be a great head coach, but I'd like to see him get some experience first. Schools aren't giving him that opportunity right now, so VT might be his only shot. That's a big risk to take, but I wouldn't give it to anyone in the program over him right now. Maybe we need to bring an outside guy in, but that will most certainly cause changes to an otherwise stable coaching staff, which may be problematic. It'll be interesting when Beamer leaves that's for sure.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know if i was Bud, when Beamer retires...if I wasn't named head coach, especially if Shane was named head coach...I would be out the door with no intentions to return (nothing against Shane, i just think he should work his way up and earn it)

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know if i was Bud, when Beamer retires...if I wasn't named head coach, especially if Shane was named head coach...I would be out the door with no intentions to return (nothing against Shane, i just think he should work his way up and earn it)

I don't see Shane becoming head coach anytime soon. He has limited coaching experience as special teams and RB coaches. No coordinator experience at all. I don't see that changing either under his dad. It would be very risky to put him as a head coach with his lack of experience, even in 5 years or so.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Shane becoming head coach anytime soon. He has limited coaching experience as special teams and RB coaches. No coordinator experience at all. I don't see that changing either under his dad. It would be very risky to put him as a head coach with his lack of experience, even in 5 years or so.

yeah i dont see it either, but it seems some people think he might be...i think maybe, but not anytime soon

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im more worried about losing Torian Gray than I am Foster. I don't think it will be long before he starts getting D-cord offers. In a perfect world, he could slip in for foster if bud is made hc.
I agree bud needs his shot. He's got that firey personality that chip Kelly, les miles, and nick saben all have. Just bc it's miles away from Beamer doesn't make it a bad thing, and some fans don't realize that

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

^ VTP i agree with a lot of what you are saying (especially the fact that Bud has earned his chance), but im just not convinced he could handle the day to day operations. IMO some guys are just wired to be coordinators. Also Frank has to be a "yes man" to a lot of people and im just not sure that is in Buds mentality.

FWIW i dont mean any of this as a slight toward Foster. I think he is the greatest coordinator in the game and has definitely helped VT become the program that they are. Hell i hope one day im proven wrong, nothing would make me happier than to see Bud take over and continue with the same level of success we currently enjoy or even take the program to new heights.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo we will hire the next head coach from within. i personally would put my money on shane beamer. i just dont think foster will be the guy.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo we will hire the next head coach from within. i personally would put my money on shane beamer. i just dont think foster will be the guy.

100% disagree (on Shane Beamer) if FB goes in the next 5-7 years AND BF is still there. IF BF is there, he WILL be the guy, its that simple. I think to go in another direction would be a total disrespect to him and the VT fans. He is just as much a reason (well almost) for VT's success as Beamer (especially in the last 15 years). I'm not so worried about the day to day stuff as I am who is a GREAT coach, and that is BF. As one of you said he is passionate and anything less than excellence would be unacceptable. He would do what he had to do (maybe even getting rid of dead weight..ahem..Newsome..ahem-ahem Stiney when the performance of their crew is substandard for awhile) I don't believe that the university will look outside who is there, UNLESS BF is gone when Frank leaves. If they did that it would likely result in a TOTAL shake-up of the staff and we don't want that. That has been one of the great (and at times not so great) things about VT, is the consistency and history of the staff, which has been a key to their success.

I think Bud can be a great head coach, but I'd like to see him get some experience first. Schools aren't giving him that opportunity right now, so VT might be his only shot. That's a big risk to take, but I wouldn't give it to anyone in the program over him right now. Maybe we need to bring an outside guy in, but that will most certainly cause changes to an otherwise stable coaching staff, which may be problematic. It'll be interesting when Beamer leaves that's for sure.

Exactly..