• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Trestman have a job tomorrow?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whoa whoa whoa...hold on here. No they haven't. Not even close. That run from 1992 through 2004 was FAR WORSE, and far longer. In case you've forgotten, we were coming off of like a decade of good and great teams, and then bang, 5-11, 7-9, two 9-7 years, and then a 9 year run with exactly one winning season, including three 4-12 years.

A little perspective here people. Yes, this year's team is disappointing, but let's not get completely carried away here.

Our current D is way worse. Stats don't lie cubz. They are historically bad.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not for waiting around for a decade to find out if we can match that stretch of futility.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Ditka might be interested in the Bears job.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Our current D is way worse. Stats don't lie cubz. They are historically bad.

You may have forgotten how bad the defense was in the Jauron years. Let me refresh your memory. The Bear defense was consistently in the league's worst for a long run there, both statistically and to anyone with a pair of eyes. Starting in 1995 and running to 2002, with the exception of the bizarrely good 2001 defense. We were 29th in yards allowed in 1999, and 29th in points surrendered in 1997. In case you've forgotten, that was the whole reason why Lovie Smith was brought here and why we were able to draft Urlacher and move him to MLB as an experiment. The city was livid at how long the defense sucked.

Now, yes, I get it, this defense is atrocious, no shit. And like you, I don't want to watch a decade of this either. But saying things like "worst two years ever" is just plain and simple historical amnesia.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...LOOK AT THE STATS.

We have been HISTORICALLY bad the last two seasons on D.

STATISTICALLY the WORST in the entire HISTORY of the Bears.

I'm not just speaking out of emotion. There are stats to back it up.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY reason its not as bad as the 90's, is duration.

But I'll tell ya what....let these clowns stay at their respective coaching positions for the next decade, and we may eclipse that too.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Again...LOOK AT THE STATS.

We have been HISTORICALLY bad the last two seasons on D.

STATISTICALLY the WORST in the entire HISTORY of the Bears.

I'm not just speaking out of emotion. There are stats to back it up.

The stats I am quoting are league ranks, not total yardage. The reason is that the entire league gives up more yards and points than back then, given modern rules. So, STATISTICALLY, this and last year's teams are not worse - defensively - than some of those teams were, there were more years of them, and we at least have a somewhat better offense. Leading to the statistic, ahem, of more wins than in those years generally.

Those were much worse years. Statistically. Put down the heroin needle, my friend.

C

cubzzzfanincali

You realize we are somehow not the last-ranked defense this year? We are 26th (by yards). Imagine how much worse it could be? (like last year, where we were 30th). :)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GFY my friend.;)

Semantics.

They are terrible. That's all that fucking matters.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ftr, our Offense is shit too, with the majority of it's stats coming in garbage time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me for being salty, but this team has far too much talent to be flopping like this, and IMO that HAS to fall on the coaches. We are bad in all three phases. Offense is stacked with all pros and plays conservative ass hell all year, cuz Cutty has a few early picks. Pussy, bullshit, and a waste of talent.

Our D can compete for a quarter or two, and then they look like a JV highschool squad.

Our Special Teams are terrible. With maybe our coverage units getting a passing grade.

If I were Emory, Kromer would stay and the rest could fuck right off.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize we are somehow not the last-ranked defense this year? We are 26th (by yards). Imagine how much worse it could be? (like last year, where we were 30th). :)

Bears are dead last in points/game against. That matters a lot more than yardage.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what we are reduced to. Fighting over when we have been worse than we are now.
1253885876_suicide.gif

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trestman will have a job based on the 21 point fourth quarter.

Yup. If that would have turned into another Green Bay/NE route, which it did in the 3rd. I actually think he stood a chance at getting the hammer today.

But when they pulled within 17… and then within 10…

I knew they played their way to Trestman's job security.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears are dead last in points/game against. That matters a lot more than yardage.

LOL... this just means we have more turnovers and terrible special teams. Opposing offenses don't have to go quite as far to score.

Case in point... our first game against the Packers. I would argue that even though we didn't give up as many points as we did against the Pats or the Packers the second time, that was the worst defensive game of the season (and possibly one of the worst of all time). Why? The opponent scored a TD on all but two drives, and on those two drives they didn't score they got to the 20 yard line and 35 yard line and settled for field goal attempts. We were 55 yards away from giving up every possible yard. Yet we didn't give up an enormous amount of points or yards if you were measuring the defense by only those two metrics. Why? Because our own offensive drives were good enough to eat up a substantial amount of time and limit the overall amount of possessions. If we're measuring the defense by points and yards without looking at anything else, then in that game we are rewarding the defense for the offense being competent... and they deserve no credit for that.

This defense is a joke... bottom line. Rogers had two career games against it, Brady had a career game against, Ryan Mallet had a career game against it, and the Lions, who went games in a row without scoring a TD on offense broke out with four against it.

/rant

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what we are reduced to. Fighting over when we have been worse than we are now.
1253885876_suicide.gif

LOL Pete

Had a Lion fan after last years collaspe state "hey at least we are not 0-16 again"

Apparently there are levels of " you still suck, but not as bad as..."

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, Trestman is from Minneapolis, which is still part of the Union. I think.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm still willing to give Trestman another year. This doesn't mean that I'm content with some of the play calls (which are painfully very Shoop-like or Turner-like), or the "coach-speak" rhetoric from his games (which sometimes sound very Lovie-like in their repetition).

I do want changes - major changes - especially on defense. And there better be improvement on offense from our 3 pro-bowl weapons from 2013.

I guess one reason I'm willing to give Trestman a pass is because in the last 20 years, the Bears have ranked in the top 10 in offense (points) only 3 times. (Once under Wanny in 1995 - 8th; once with Lovie in 2006 - 2nd), and then last season 2013 with Marc - 2nd.)

I believe there is more in place that can succeed next season rather than to take a wrecking ball to the team and start over. I don't want to start over again. We've had some lousy QB and some lousy OC's in those 20 years. I'm not looking at Jay as our savior, but bringing in another HC and staff can't help. Do you really want to live through a miserable 2015 rebuilding season? I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is surprising to me is the collapse of the Bears defense. They have given up more points than I can remember them ever giving up. I think Trestman should stay, ax the D.C. and get rid of Cutler. That pick in the end zone last night at the end of the game was lame. The guy has no heart.