• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Trestman have a job tomorrow?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Do you really want to live through a miserable 2015 rebuilding season? I don't.

That depends - entirely - on what happens after 2015. Of course, it is obviously impossible to see the future. But if....IF...IF...we had to go through a rebuilding year to get to a better team after 2015, then sure, I am all for it. I want to see this team win another Super Bowl. Period. I would rather wait another year or two to have a legitimate chance at that than be somewhere between mediocre and pretty good for 3 years just for the sake of avoiding a year of pain. I guess the long-suffering Cubs fan in me is showing.

I'm not by any means totally opposed to letting Trestman have one more season. I also wouldn't cry if he got fired. I'm interested in the debate on here because my mind on him is not made up. I think I've read some sound reasons on both sides of the debate.

I do think one thing everyone agrees on is that something needs to change. If they want to dump Tucker, fine, but I doubt that's going to accomplish very much. The defense is going to be rebuilt through the draft, and that's going to take time, so any new coordinator is still going to have a mixed bag of defenders to use. The money is on the offensive side of the ball, so that's where the major improvement needs to happen. If that's something we can get to by firing Trestman, fine. If it's Kromer, fine.

I, however, sort of doubt that replacing Trestman is going to cut it. I think the offense has the necessary talent, I just think that for all of it's talent, that the brain of the operation on the field (Jay Cutler) is flawed. Probably, we won't be able to trade him. If we could, I would love it if we did, even if we suffered through a crappy 2015 as a result.

I still am more concerned about Emery than Trestman, but this board mostly clearly does not agree with me about that. That's fine, but I still think the Bears problems start with the personnel on the field more than the coaching. Since I am not impressed with Emery's drafts, and find him to be a creative guy in free agency but with very mixed success there, I'm not optimistic. I hope he is learning fast if he stays, which he probably will.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Trestman. Did a great job up here! Still think he should have tossed Cutler.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liked the new glasses?:noidea: They make him look a little less like a serial rapist.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends - entirely - on what happens after 2015. Of course, it is obviously impossible to see the future. But if....IF...IF...we had to go through a rebuilding year to get to a better team after 2015, then sure, I am all for it. I want to see this team win another Super Bowl. Period. I would rather wait another year or two to have a legitimate chance at that than be somewhere between mediocre and pretty good for 3 years just for the sake of avoiding a year of pain. I guess the long-suffering Cubs fan in me is showing.

I'd like to see another SB win as well, yet if anything, the NFL continues to prove that just installing a new staff is no guarantee of success. Even 2 or 3 years down the road.

Trestman's offense did have a measure of success in 2013. I hope it can be rekindled for 2015. In fact if it weren't for 2013, I probably would not be as patient with Trestman.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams didnt know what expect last year...adjusted this year. Look, with talent across the board on O, a top producing unit should be expected. This offense SHOULD be up there. To fall as short as they have, with the talent still in place disturbs me and leads me to believe the coach is lacking somehow, somewhere. I think he should hand the playcalling duties over ti Kromer, and send Tucker and DeCamillas packing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the people who don't even question Trestman's job security.

His seat is red-hot. Do you think Emery and the Bears management are just twiddling their thumbs, getting drunk and laughing while the team gets their heads kicked in week in and week out?

Emery hasn't been afraid to make big moves without hesitation so far, and why anyone would be surprised if he cans Trestman. Is beyond me.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the people who don't even question Trestman's job security.

His seat is red-hot. Do you think Emery and the Bears management are just twiddling their thumbs, getting drunk and laughing while the team gets their heads kicked in week in and week out?

Emery hasn't been afraid to make big moves without hesitation so far, and why anyone would be surprised if he cans Trestman. Is beyond me.

Mainly because no one has even remotely hinted at canning Trestman. In fact Trestman came out this week and said he had the full confidence of the GM and the President of the Bears for the time being. That's my take.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mainly because no one has even remotely hinted at canning Trestman. In fact Trestman came out this week and said he had the full confidence of the GM and the President of the Bears for the time being. That's my take.

How is that relevant?

Since when do GM's or organizations in general, ever come out and announce publicly that they're thinking of firing a current coach that has multiple games left in his season? EXTREMELY rarely, if ever.

He's here for the remainder of the season, obviously. It does no one any good to come out and say that they're going to fire him. That doesn't mean that they're not saying amongst themselves that his seat is red hot.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that relevant?

Since when do GM's or organizations in general, ever come out and announce publicly that they're thinking of firing a current coach that has multiple games left in his season? EXTREMELY rarely, if ever.

He's here for the remainder of the season, obviously. It does no one any good to come out and say that they're going to fire him. That doesn't mean that they're not saying amongst themselves that his seat is red hot.

Crap, stop making sense... What was I thinking...

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Question it? Sure.
Expect the Bears to actually fire him with two years left on his contract? Nope.
If it happens, I'll be shocked.

Don't misunderstand — I believe Trestman should be fired at the end of the season. He's a good coordinator and, by all accounts, a good guy; but whatever grip he had on this team is gone. The coaches don't show adjustments on game day, the players don't look prepared or execute on game day, the team doesn't get better week to week. Each of those is a red flag by itself, but together they should be reason to end the head coach's tenure.

All that begin said, I have zero confidence in the Bears' willingness to eat two years on any coach's deal. I'd be pleasantly surprised by such a decision, but I absolutely do not expect it.