• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Oregon not make the adjustments needed to beat Stanford?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On to wishing the best for LSU...

Stanford does 1 thing really well besides their D...run Gaffney...EVERYONE KNOWS IT and nobody can stop it, cept Utah.

It was tough watching Marriota get outside and NOT run, he could have run for a 100 by himself last night.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, Shaw ain't leaving and last night may have cemented 2 more top 50 recruits.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, Shaw ain't leaving and last night may have cemented 2 more top 50 recruits.

I sure don't have any inside information. Just saying all the national media are reporting that Shaw's name is the one brought up the most from the inside sources they always have with the NFL teams. When they come calling few can resist the lure of the money and attention they get. Shaw just might be one of those exceptions. Kelly passed up offers for a couple of years until he got a team worth looking at.

I mean you tell me. If say... the NY Giants came calling you don't think he'd take a chance? Not that they are looking, just saying a history and storied franchise with some decent parts already there. Raiders? Sure, you pass on that train wreck along with at least half of the rest of the league. Lots of dumpster fires in the pros. But you can't tell me for sure he would turn down one of the gems.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't have time to read this entire thread. but I will say this. Yes, how do we not adjust? Oregon is one of the best teams in the country at making adjustments, especially in game adjustments. But, for whatever g-damn reason Helfrich dialed up last years chip Kelly stubborn plays in the redzone and decided against points.

Also, our defense was pitiful. Alliotti has no balls without Azzinaro.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to adjust when the better team won't let you.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon using smaller guys is fine on offense, on defense you guys need to get some bigguns up front but that are athletic enough to create pressure on the QB if they have to...

I remember the biggest difference back on 09 before the Rose Bowl was the sheer size difference between OSU and Oregon's lines...

I thought Oregon had that handled, but Stanford still pushed them around (granted I imagine that a lot of that Stanford O-Line will end up in the NFL)...

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they were going to get stronger at halftime, adjustments would be futile.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon using smaller guys is fine on offense, on defense you guys need to get some bigguns up front but that are athletic enough to create pressure on the QB if they have to...

I remember the biggest difference back on 09 before the Rose Bowl was the sheer size difference between OSU and Oregon's lines...

I thought Oregon had that handled, but Stanford still pushed them around (granted I imagine that a lot of that Stanford O-Line will end up in the NFL)...

Oregon's linses are pretty damn big nowadays.The defensive line just wasn't tough enough.

Nobodies lines in the country are significantly bigger than Oregon's. One of the biggest actually. They just have a style that that gives them problems.

None the less. One year they were 3 points away from a NATTY. Three other years 3 losses less than a td.

They arent going to change how they do things.

Every team has a weakness because of how they choose to build their team. Oregon's weakness is smash mouth. But it is good enough to be better than 98% of the country, and dominate 80% of the country.

Like I said, with teams that rarely loose, it is obvious as to what types of teams give them trouble.

Like when Bama loses it is to Urbs Utah team, Auburns Cam team,and aTm's Johnny team. Their problem would appear to be mobile qbs in a hurry up mode.

But because their losses came to these types of teams doesnt mean that they are going to change. THey are just going to prepare better which they have done.

The reason I use Alabama as a comparison is because they do so rarely lose. One loss a year is easy to look at a teams lone loss and disect why.

Oregon's is obviously the punch you in the nose defenses.... With the athletes to do it. Because many teams try to do it, but get beat badly anyways. Gotta have the players which Stanford does.

Same with an Alabama team, lotsa teams try to go mobile qb and hurry up, but they more often lose than slay the giant. Plus, Bama is getting the lone loss and still able to come back with a NATTY trophy.

I dont see Bama losing this year though.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I enjoyed watching Stanford go flat out Caveman on Oregon last night, the better team did not win.

Oregon was and is the more talented and better team. They simply have a problem with a more physical team that is geared to take it to them.

Keep in mind, Stanford ran the ball 66 times for 274 yards. That is a very respectable number for the amount of attempts for ANY defense. Yes, even Alabama.

The real problem was Oregon's Offense against Stanford's defense. The stretch plays that Oregon normally enjoys weren't there. The inside Zone Read wasn't there. The myriad of screen plays weren't there.

Stanford was able to play a 4 man front all game while controlling Oregon's run game. That was the real story of the game.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Stanford is Oregon's kryptonite right now.

They can pull off the wins in that style because their players up front are just straight up better than that of Oregons.

As of today, there are less than a handful of teams that play that style that can beat Oregon.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I enjoyed watching Stanford go flat out Caveman on Oregon last night, the better team did not win.

Oregon was and is the more talented and better team. They simply have a problem with a more physical team that is geared to take it to them.

Then they should have won. If they were better, they should have won. No matter WHO they are playing.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they should have won. If they were better, they should have won. No matter WHO they are playing.

btw steelboy, i take it you did read my pm? I did ask you to confirm you received it but yet again chose to ignore me.

You are getting a little bit better though. So again, in the future.... SO I dont have to do this on the public forum... First, read the pm, 2nd respond to the pm, and lastly go forth with the instructions regarding the message of the pm.

Dems the rules man. Like it or not. Like me or not. Doesnt matter.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough to ajust to what Stanford's done, they have so much talent on the defensive side that Oregon can't get the big plays they usually get, and are at times losing yards, other teams can scheme like Stanford but eventually Oregon finds a hole against them.

Of course on the other end Stanford running the ball and the clock the entire game played a large part in it too, their defense was able to keep playing aggressive because they were never tired, UCLA held on for a half against Oregon, but their offense didn't move the ball enough to give their defense rest and eventually Oregon ran them over.

Good news for Oregon is a lot of Stanford's defense graduates next year.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough to ajust to what Stanford's done, they have so much talent on the defensive side that Oregon can't get the big plays they usually get, and are at times losing yards, other teams can scheme like Stanford but eventually Oregon finds a hole against them.

Of course on the other end Stanford running the ball and the clock the entire game played a large part in it too, their defense was able to keep playing aggressive because they were never tired, UCLA held on for a half against Oregon, but their offense didn't move the ball enough to give their defense rest and eventually Oregon ran them over.

Good news for Oregon is a lot of Stanford's defense graduates next year.

Have to give a lot of the credit to shaw and his staff. They were thoroughly prepared for this game and played to their strengths.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds crazy, but I agree with you.

I'm sure you know, the better team doesn't always win. Stanford didn't finish the business last night, much like they didn't finish the business against Arizona State earlier this year.

Shaw got way too conservative in the 2nd half of both games. Bleeding the clock is nice, but you have to score sometimes to keep your lead.

The field goals last night almost cost them the game. Stick it in. Put the hammer down. Put your leg down on their throat when you can and have them begging to tap out. Problem was, he couldn't put the hammer down.

The reality is that Stanford had to push and shove for every yard they got. 66 rushes for 274 yards? That is barely 4.1 yards per rush. Stanford needed a number of 3rd 1's, 2's, and 3's to get it done.

Stanford played by their own rules in down and distance all game. It was critical for their win. They won that battle by minimal yardage and anger.

Neutral field? I'll lay 14 and take Oregon.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality is that Stanford had to push and shove for every yard they got. 66 rushes for 274 yards? That is barely 4.1 yards per rush. Stanford needed a number of 3rd 1's, 2's, and 3's to get it done.

Stanford played by their own rules in down and distance all game.

Thats fine when you're a ball control team. 3rd and one, 3rd and two, 3rd and three keeps your opponent on the sidelines. Quick scoring is what Oregon would rather because then it becomes a shootout. A grind it out tough up front game is not what they want. Analysts said Stanford wouldnt score enough to win because a fast paced game is what they expected. Its like Carolina in basketball; theyll win an up and down the court game, but struggle in a half court game, thats why roy williams couldnt ever get it done in kansas.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem was Oregon's Offense against Stanford's defense. The stretch plays that Oregon normally enjoys weren't there. The inside Zone Read wasn't there. The myriad of screen plays weren't there.
This is my point. They've gone all in on speed, which serves them well most of the time, but gets them beat by elite defenses (Ohio State in 2009, LSU, Stanford a couple times). They need the personnel and playbook to win other ways, with less flashy numbers.

It's not unlike Wisconsin recently. They can run Melvin Gordon jet sweeps all day against most defenses (including your Huskers), but teams like OSU or MSU shut that down. But when that happens the Badgers can run for 4 ypc inside the tackles, and throw in an occasional play action pass (including to tight ends). Oregon doesn't seem to have that lower gear for the uphill climbs...

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's linses are pretty damn big nowadays.The defensive line just wasn't tough enough.

Nobodies lines in the country are significantly bigger than Oregon's. One of the biggest actually. They just have a style that that gives them problems.

None the less. One year they were 3 points away from a NATTY. Three other years 3 losses less than a td.

They arent going to change how they do things.

Every team has a weakness because of how they choose to build their team. Oregon's weakness is smash mouth. But it is good enough to be better than 98% of the country, and dominate 80% of the country.

Like I said, with teams that rarely loose, it is obvious as to what types of teams give them trouble.

Like when Bama loses it is to Urbs Utah team, Auburns Cam team,and aTm's Johnny team. Their problem would appear to be mobile qbs in a hurry up mode.

But because their losses came to these types of teams doesnt mean that they are going to change. THey are just going to prepare better which they have done.

The reason I use Alabama as a comparison is because they do so rarely lose. One loss a year is easy to look at a teams lone loss and disect why.

Oregon's is obviously the punch you in the nose defenses.... With the athletes to do it. Because many teams try to do it, but get beat badly anyways. Gotta have the players which Stanford does.

Same with an Alabama team, lotsa teams try to go mobile qb and hurry up, but they more often lose than slay the giant. Plus, Bama is getting the lone loss and still able to come back with a NATTY trophy.

I dont see Bama losing this year though.

Urban was not the coach, I think it was Willingham, although it was mostly Urban's recruits.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my point. They've gone all in on speed, which serves them well most of the time, but gets them beat by elite defenses (Ohio State in 2009, LSU, Stanford a couple times). They need the personnel and playbook to win other ways, with less flashy numbers.

They wont get that because of their system. That is why the analyst from ESPN said what he did about mariota yesterday. He would struggle even more if it were not for the system he plays in. Thats why mel kiper is foolish to have him as a number one qb. He's not that great of an overall passer. Just look at the on and off offense the eagles have. Works some weeks, other weeks not so much. That offense struggles when it goes against a tough d. Same in college.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent 2 yrs hating on shaws coaching ability after the debacle against USC a few yrs ago. He played for a 40+ yd fg from a freshman kicker to tie the game against USC instead of using his star qb. He was bailed out by a USC fumble on the goal line in ot. I'm starting to come around on him. Even though he was a moron at the end of the Oregon game. 4 knees end the game but instead he is running the ftball