• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do we feel about Jared Allen vs. Julius Peppers now?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point. Let's change this up a second. Instead of Peppers versus Allen at the same salary this year... what about Peppers versus Willie Young at the same salary this year?

Young signed for three years, nine million, and a two million dollar bonus. 3.9 is guaranteed. We pretty much got Young and Allen for a cheaper price than Peppers was scheduled to make this season. I'll take that all day. Young leads the NFL in sacks, and has been good against the run as well. I think you have to go with him right now, even if him and Peppers were at the same price. Especially given the fact that Young is heading into his prime, where Peppers is/was clearly headed out.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Julius Peppers is named NFC Defensive player of the week

The only person in NFL History to have 10 interceptions and at least 100 sacks was now named NFC Defensive player of the week.

Naming peppers defensive player of the week is a shocking insult to that term. Any jackass's grandma could have caught that tipped wobbling interception. In case the brain dead highlight film-horny analysts didn't noticed, they (mostly successfully) deliberately ran his way all night on purpose. And this is your Defensive Player of the Week? Morons.

He actually looked a little better this week against Miami. But the game he got the award for, people should seriously be fired for ignorance.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naming peppers defensive player of the week is a shocking insult to that term. Any jackass's grandma could have caught that tipped wobbling interception. In case the brain dead highlight film-horny analysts didn't noticed, they (mostly successfully) deliberately ran his way all night on purpose. And this is your Defensive Player of the Week? Morons.

He actually looked a little better this week against Miami. But the game he got the award for, people should seriously be fired for ignorance.

Yup… Bingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you would only watch the highlights and look at the stats you would be much more impressed with the talking heads.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression (could be wrong) that the contract renegotiation couldn't take money away from a player, just change the timing. And the renegotiations we had with Peppers were the REASON why his contract eventually became such a giant balloon payment. We kept shifting salary into bonus or bonus into salary which would create room for certain years while creating a mess down the road.

That would certainly explain a lot.

If last game is a hint of what's to come with Jared Allen, it looks like I jumped the gun. That was a damn fine game against a real good OT who has an awesome NFL pedigree (Matthews).....not to mention that Jared Allen has probably not fully recovered from his pneumonia.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression (could be wrong) that the contract renegotiation couldn't take money away from a player, just change the timing. And the renegotiations we had with Peppers were the REASON why his contract eventually became such a giant balloon payment. We kept shifting salary into bonus or bonus into salary which would create room for certain years while creating a mess down the road.

Earlier this year I heard the best way it was explained. When a team asks a player to defer money, the player is immediately issued a check. They pay when they move the salary to bonus or "deferred", the dead money number is not a payment to the player, its only where it goes on the salary cap column.

It made sense, since there would most probably be no way that any of these players would agree to wait three years to get millions and millions of dollars. You would think more would fight it or not accept it if it was holding back dollars.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this year I heard the best way it was explained. When a team asks a player to defer money, the player is immediately issued a check. They pay when they move the salary to bonus or "deferred", the dead money number is not a payment to the player, its only where it goes on the salary cap column.

It made sense, since there would most probably be no way that any of these players would agree to wait three years to get millions and millions of dollars. You would think more would fight it or not accept it if it was holding back dollars.

So wait, if I'm understanding you correctly, "dead money" is not a check to the player, but simply money in the cap that we are unable to use......it's just unusable money in the cap?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait, if I'm understanding you correctly, "dead money" is not a check to the player, but simply money in the cap that we are unable to use......it's just unusable money in the cap?

I dont know, every time I think I figure it out it seems to not make sense anymore.

The players get something out of it for deferring their dollars, so it is a check to the player WHEN they agree to defer the money if they agree to convert it to bonus money. The money (or some portion of that money) has already been paid to the player, it just gets moved to a future year regarding the cap. Some dead money payments are players that had been cut but agreed to a non roster bonus money down the road. Dead money is definitely money in the cap we are unable to use, but how it was explained, I am pretty sure it was Mongo Steve McMichael part of a panel, was the player has already been paid a portion of that money. I am sure there are some players that would prefer to be getting paid after their career is over, but pretty sure the majority of them want their own hands on that money. The way he put it was simply, players dont mind deferring their money because they get a check. Defer the money, write him a check.

Its so confusing its probably something that will end up being regulated more. You sign a new 10 million dollar guy to replace your last 10 million guy because you can play with their numbers more and are paying the guy you cut because you owed him too much money.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

Peppers looks extremely underwhelming.

A lot of people are fooled by an interception return that fell right into his lap.

Peppers for 18 mil per year or Allen for 8… is there even a conversation about this?

Do you even know what Peppers deal is? He is not making 18 million this year and we have an opt out clause after year one with no cap hit.

Allen had a good game against arguably the worst offensive line in the league right now that has beem ravaged by injuries. Look at what every defense has been able to do the last 3-4 weeks against Atlanta. Way to jump the gun on this one Bears fans.
You all need to worry about what housecleanin2g needs to be done amd why your team is imploding in your locker room and less about what Peppers or Allen are doing. On the bottom looking up.....as usual

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and Peppers had 2 more sacks today and constant pressure on Cam....how did Allen do?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you even know what Peppers deal is? He is not making 18 million this year and we have an opt out clause after year one with no cap hit.

Allen had a good game against arguably the worst offensive line in the league right now that has beem ravaged by injuries. Look at what every defense has been able to do the last 3-4 weeks against Atlanta. Way to jump the gun on this one Bears fans.
You all need to worry about what housecleanin2g needs to be done amd why your team is imploding in your locker room and less about what Peppers or Allen are doing. On the bottom looking up.....as usual

Peppers is on a 3/30 contract, 10 million per, the 8 million was back money the bears would have had to account for paying him on the cap. With his 18 plus Jays 22 it was too much. Next years Jays goes down to 13 hit, but so far 4 million was moved, so his final year of this deal will be back up to 17.

Dead money is why they couldnt get better on defense. They gotta break this chain.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Lofton's mommy is too busy to rub his hair while he eats his ginger snaps, so he messes around in here.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line.....i made a post this offseason on the Packers board questioning why i should fear the Bears. It was brought over here and i was destroyed here for 20 some pages of a thread and told the same old same old...."we signed so and so" "we are more talented" " the Packers are on the downslide". And here we are.....7 games into the season and lets review the last 4 weeks. We have destroyed the Bears. Beat the team that beat you last week. Decimated the team you blew a 2 score
ead too. Are tied for first and where are the Bears? In their usual spot on their backs looking up and now it sounds like they are imploding on each other. Like i said then....like i say now....and like i will continue to say.....same old Bears?...same old fan trash talk that blows up in your face.....and same old results and excuses. Didn't fear you then and don't fear you now. Hate to say i told you so..........actually i don't i love telling you i told you so

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lofton- why do you have 60 posts to the Chicago Bears Board... but none on Packers board since
7-19-2014?
What are you doing? What's your point? Peppers was a great player for Chicago. His contract wasn't workable to keep him. Bears fans have nothing to do with contracts or who we bring in/lose to FA. I don't think any team would have kept Peppers with $18M cap hit for this year. What's your point in bring it up?

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lofton is a bore, move on, nothing to read here.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is a fellow Bear fan of yours stated you got a steal because Peppers was costing 18 mil for us which isnt true....and the fact i got blasted here for daring not to believe the annual preseason hype of the Bears and will continue to let those who blasted me know about it