• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did you become a fan of your respective basketball team?

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title says it all. What made you become a fan of your favorite NBA team(s)?

For me, I was just flipping through the channels one day in 2008 and happened to come across San Antonio vs Phoenix in Game 1 of the first round. I saw how the Spurs never quit fighting and eventually Timmy hit the 3 in OT, and I decided that if I was gonna start watching sports (I hated sports up until then,) this was the team I was going to follow. I had no idea until a week or so later that they had won the NBA Title a year before. I started watching their every game, starting with the Phoenix series and I've never stopped watching since then. That series against New Orleans where we beat them on their home floor in Game 7 was amazing!

Discuss.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was supposed to be a Suns fan. I was born in Phoenix (moved to Cali when I was 4 or 5) and my aunts had Suns season tickets. When I was 8, they took me to my first NBA basketball game at the old Madhouse on McDowell, which was Suns vs. Lakers.

I don't know what it was, but as soon as the Lakers came out onto the floor, I knew that was my team and haven't looked back since. The Lakers even lost the game, didn't matter.

To this day, I am the only non-Suns fan in the family (although, they are my 2nd favorite team).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was supposed to be a Suns fan. I was born in Phoenix (moved to Cali when I was 4 or 5) and my aunts had Suns season tickets. When I was 8, they took me to my first NBA basketball game at the old Madhouse on McDowell, which was Suns vs. Lakers.

I don't know what it was, but as soon as the Lakers came out onto the floor, I knew that was my team and haven't looked back since. The Lakers even lost the game, didn't matter.

To this day, I am the only non-Suns fan in the family (although, they are my 2nd favorite team).

So I wonder if the Suns had played the Rockets or some other random team back then if you would've ended up a Suns fan instead.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I wonder if the Suns had played the Rockets or some other random team back then if you would've ended up a Suns fan instead.

Probably, considering that it had nothing against the Suns, it was just something about the Lakers.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, considering that it had nothing against the Suns, it was just something about the Lakers.

That's a cool story though man, no sarcasm, at age 8 going for the team that lost when your entire family is a PHX fan has to take some balls, haha. They probably wanted to disown you for a couple weeks.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a cool story though man, no sarcasm, at age 8 going for the team that lost when your entire family is a PHX fan has to take some balls, haha. They probably wanted to disown you for a couple weeks.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty much the family black sheep when it comes to sports. Besides Suns/Lakers the family is all ASU fans, I'm a USC fan. They're all Diamondbacks fans, I'm a Dodgers fan (although to be fair, I was Dodgers fan before the Diamondbacks existed).

They tried for a couple of more seasons to get me to switch to the Suns. Even sent me to Dick Van Arsdale's basketball camp 2 summers in a row before they gave up on me. :lol:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That series against New Orleans where we beat them on their home floor in Game 7 was amazing!

That was a strange series. All 7 games were lopsided blowouts.
The Hornets expected to keep the streak of blowouts alive and easily win at home. It went the exact opposite.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grew up in Wisconsin watching Lew Alcindor and the Big O, need I say more.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fame was my favorite TV show and Debbie Allen was my favorite actress.

Norm Nixon, Debbie Allens husband, was banished to the NBA cornfields, known as the LA Clippers.

Thus began my Clippers fandom, and my hate of the Lakers.

I shit you not.

I was an 8 year old little girl. So, it seamed reasonable at the time.

Talk about going from the big house, to the outhouse.

No wonder Norm had a drug problem.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born into Twolves loyalty :L

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grew up watching Lakers games with my family, listening to Chick Hearn, then watching Kobe and Shaq win a 3-peat. Then later watched Kobe carry the Lakers and go the fuck off like his 81-point game, his countless 30-40 point games, his buzzer beaters. Reached the mountain top again after 2 losses in the Finals. It's been a love affair that's been very good to me.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started watching NBA in the late 90's, probably would have rooted for the Clippers had they still been in SD and I was a fan of the Chargers and Padres already. But since that wasn't the case I chose between the Warriors and Kings because they were the 2 norcal teams I got to watch a lot of. Enjoyed watching the Kings more so I became a fan, and I almost regret that choice now.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
born and live in Dallas

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this won't help with my popularity around here, but the short answer is 'LeBron'.

No one in my family ever cared about sports so I was a latecomer to the sports world, around the age of 12-13. Also, my family never lived in the same state for more than 2 years at a time, so I've never had much of a geographical affinity to any one place.

At first I only really followed college basketball, paying attention to the NBA only in the Finals and gaining a youthful awe for Jordan and the Bulls, but never really being a Bulls fan.

When Arizona's Mike Bibby went to the NBA that's when I jumped into NBA fandom. I was a fan of the Grizzlies and then the Kings, following Bibby. When I first saw LeBron play, I just loved the way he played. A superstar who seemed to relish the pass more than the score. A guy who seemed to play like what I thought was 'the right way'. For a few year's there I was equal part Kings and Cavs fan, then when Bibby went to ATL it was all Cavs.

Then, of course, the 4 year hiatus in Miami... which even included a year with Bibby & LeBron together.

So I've always been a player fan when it comes to the NBA. I don't know if that will continue or not. I can see myself sticking with a team when LeBron's career is over... and it would most likely be the Cavs, Kings, or Heat.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my first subscription to the Boston Globe Larry Bird's rookie season. The Globe still had great sportswriting then.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born and raised Warrior fan. Grew up in the Bay Area and the I remember going to my first Warrior game at the Coliseum, sitting up in the nose bleeds. The first real year I remember watching them intently was in 1993 when they drafted Chris Webber (or traded for). I've been a die hard Warrior fan since, and suffered through all those shitty years, watching every game.

I've always been a fan of the team, and not players.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grew up in NE Ohio. The Cavs were shitty in the early 80's & my dad & older brother are Celtics fans. So I've been rooting for Boston since the days of Larry the Legend.