• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did you become a Broncos fan?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was Ricky Nattiel, and Denver was up 10-0 against Washington before our secondary fell apart. Upchurch was gone by the time Elway came around (he may have played one season with Elway, but that's it). Denver was favored in that game too I recall. Denver was never in the San Francisco game. Broncos pretty much ran into a buzz saw against what I feel was one of the all-time greatest teams.

The Giants game left me very irritated. That's a game we should have won, and likely would have won if we had converted on short yardage in the first half.

Ill never forget that Nattiel TD. I think I was playing in my toy chest as it happened. All excited. The rest was downhill.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl- Looks like we both went through the same issue but fought through the adversity of "not" becoming a Chiefs fan. (my dad is a Chiefs fan)

I'm just glad my dad didn't choose the Raiders as a way of ticking off my grandpa. I don't even want to think about that. I'm hoping I would still have come to cheer for the good guys. Thankfully that timeline never happened and I get to cheer on the Super Bowl Champs!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers fan until 77 after 77 nothing but DB ..

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question wasn't what year did you become a fan (although that could fit into your answer) but you forgot to answer the question.

HOW???

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
77 should tell how ... I never seen a DB game before 77 . that's how nothing to special that and they are the home team in Idaho .. they play them every week on TV even in bad seasons

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
77 should tell how ... I never seen a DB game before 77 . that's how nothing to special that and they are the home team in Idaho .. they play them every week on TV even in bad seasons

Karl Mecklenburg wore 77.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I discovered football at the age of 5 in 1976. My dad was not a big football fan, but he did watch the Super Bowl on occasion. This was one of those occasion and before kickoff dad asked me who I was going to root for. It was an easy choice as the Steelers and the Iowa Hawkeyes had similar uniform colors and my aunt had already drilled into me the idea of being a Hawkeye fan.

The next year my dad was working for the Super Bowl and we did not watch it and I did not pay much attention to football that year. Thank god, I might have chosen the Raiders, I humble myself and am thankful I was never given that choice.

Then the 1977 season occurred, I knew at the age of 7 that I did not like the Cowboys, so it was an easy choice, especially since I liked the color scheme of the Broncos. I was heartbroken to have to pay my father the bet we made of $1 dollar, but it started my love for the Broncos.

Over the next 5 years, I kinda swapped back and forth between the Broncos and Steelers and I will even admit for a few years, I rooted harder for the Steelers. My little hometown was biased towards the Steelers and I let that bias influence me. The bias was strong because most of my friend's dads knew Terry Bradshaw because Bradshaw spent one year in my hometown. Bradshaw even mentioned my hometown in his HoF induction speech. He is the only player to come out of my hometown that made it to the NFL, though, David Johnson of the Arizona Cardinals came from the town next door and everyone roots for him back there now.

In 1983 while playing 8th grade football, my coach and I got into a fight about why I was not getting anymore playing time than I was. I was outplaying a lot of the starters and it seemed like no matter what I did, I was never given a fair shot. I pretty much knew why, we had moved out of my hometown for a year the previous year and that had put a black mark on me. When I confronted him, he used every lame excuse as to why to include that I was too small. I was one of the smallest kids on the team, but was second string offensive line and the first to go in if someone got hurt. This did not matter to me though, I loved defense and I loved to hit people and was probably the second hardest hitter on the team. I also led the team in interceptions and when I was allowed to play, led the team in tackles for those games. I ended up throwing my pads on the floor and walking out of his office saying if I was too small to play, I was too small too play. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth for not only football, but for all sports and I also stopped playing baseball and even though I went out for wrestling that year, I got kicked off the team when I told my coach to go fuck himself. A bad attitude I did have.

Fast forward 2 years and there was nothing on TV, so I stopped on Monday Night Football. The Broncos were playing someone and I all I remember is one play where the Bronco's QB escaped the pocket and was running from one side of the field to the other avoiding defenders. Then he stopped and threw a laser beam from one sideline to the other in the endzone, he was somewhere around the 50 yard line when he threw it too. My jaw hit the floor that he threw the ball that hard. Needless to say, the QB was John Elway and I was hooked from then on and my allegiance only lay to the Broncos.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow some of you guys are really, really old!

I've been a Broncos fan for literally as long as I can remember. My dad was a Broncos fan, so when he would watch the games I watched with him and I always wanted to know what team he was cheering for so I could cheer for them, too. I loved watching the games, and I would check out football and Broncos books from the library to learn more about the game.

One of the first games I vividly remember watching was a Monday night game against the Redskins after they beat us in the Super Bowl. Elway was hurt, so Kubiak played, and the Broncos won. The first Super Bowl I remember watching was XXIV against the 49ers. I was in first grade and it was the most disappointing moment of my young life.

When I got married back in 2009, my wife was introduced to my fanaticism (she's from Philly). The first game she watched with me post marriage was the Broncos/Bengals game with Stokley's game winning catch. I think that moment was when she first realized what kind of fanatic she'd married.

Now I've got 2 kids of my own, ages almost 3 and 7 months. The first Broncos game after my daughter was born was the 49-27 beatdown of the Ravens to open the 2013 season. My son's first game was the thrilling 30-24 Sunday night victory over the Patriots. The Broncos went to the Super Bowl both seasons after my kids were born, but my son was good enough luck to bring home the win. Here's hoping that, despite being raised in Chiefs country, my kids are smart enough to cheer for the orange and blue as they grow up.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been a Broncos fan for literally as long as I can remember. My dad was a Broncos fan, so when he would watch the games I watched with him and I always wanted to know what team he was cheering for so I could cheer for them, too. I loved watching the games, and I would check out football and Broncos books from the library to learn more about the game.

One of the first games I vividly remember watching was a Monday night game against the Redskins after they beat us in the Super Bowl. Elway was hurt, so Kubiak played, and the Broncos won. The first Super Bowl I remember watching was XXIV against the 49ers. I was in first grade and it was the most disappointing moment of my young life.

When I got married back in 2009, my wife was introduced to my fanaticism (she's from Philly). The first game she watched with me post marriage was the Broncos/Bengals game with Stokley's game winning catch. I think that moment was when she first realized what kind of fanatic she'd married.

Now I've got 2 kids of my own, ages almost 3 and 7 months. The first Broncos game after my daughter was born was the 49-27 beatdown of the Ravens to open the 2013 season. My son's first game was the thrilling 30-24 Sunday night victory over the Patriots. The Broncos went to the Super Bowl both seasons after my kids were born, but my son was good enough luck to bring home the win. Here's hoping that, despite being raised in Chiefs country, my kids are smart enough to cheer for the orange and blue as they grow up.
Sure wish your wife was expecting your third child this September. :)

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in a town near KC so most of my friends and family were chiefs fans. At the time I was a bit of an antagonist so when I was getting into football I had to root for someone other than the chiefs. Luckily, this coincided with the broncos and the '97 season. I jumped on the bangwagon and forgot to get off.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I may be the oldest - by 4 months over Mingo, but I don't come close to him in Broncos fandom.

I was born down in the southernmost tip of Texas in 1951, and in my little town football was king. But I didn't know anyone who was a pro football fan. It was all about local HS and the University of Texas. One of our closest neighbors who lived about 1/3 mile away went on to star as QB at the University of Texas and then played safety for the Jets when the beat the Colts in the SB in 1969 - Jim Hudson.

In '63 our family moved to western PA and there still wasn't a pro team locally - unless you could consider the hapless Steelers as a pro team. I still didn't care much about the NFL. But then in 1969 I went to college in Tulsa and the only team that was on every Sunday (these were the days of one, at the most two games on TV each week) was the Dallas Cowboys. So as a form of protest, I became a Steelers fan. They hired an unknown, at least to me, head coach in Chuck Noll. Lo and behold those losers drafted Mean Joe and Bradshaw, Lambert and Ham, Stallworth and Swan, and Mike Webster (RIP). And it wasn't long until I was celebrating winning seasons. (This probably became the reason for my fascination with the NFL draft.)

In 1990 I was hired by a company in Colorado Springs - just a couple years before Al Gore invented the internet. Being a sports fan, I read the Denver and COS papers daily and started following the local Broncos. In about '93 I headed up to Greeley and watched summer camp - much less formal and restricted than what it's like today. By then I was converted (you might say saved) from my wayward ways. And then of course I got to enjoy my new adopted local team win a couple Super Bowls.

In 1999 I was wandering around the internet looking for information on the draft and found a site called MOFFL. On it were posters like Los Grande Mojo, South Side Junkie, Pump Fake, Russ, Mingo, and Draft Crazy. I was a lurker for awhile and suddenly MOFFL was no more - so I couldn't follow the wisdom of these geniuses. It was probably 6 months to a year later when once again looking for draft conversation I stumbled onto KFFL and there were the draft gurus once again. This time I registered and within a week, DC was talking to me and so now I've been part of this community, now grafted into The Hoop, since 2000 and following the Broncos every move.

There you have it @Draft Crazy. Now stop bugging me about my story! I do have a temporary fandom card with the Bills - but that certainly will have an expiration date on it unlike my Broncos membership card. And the Steelers you ask? Sorry, I've had too many run-ins with family members and friends and I've long ago burned those bridges.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in 1971 and watched my first football game sometime in the late '70s. It was between the Raiders and the Houston Oilers and it was a classic. It was rainy and the field was muddy. Players on the sidelines were wearing rain jackets, which just added to the mystique for me. I remember Earl Campbell trucking defensive players, and that got me fired up. I was hooked on football, and the Oilers became my favorite team. They would remain so for a few years until I eventually lost interest as they were rarely televised in Southern California back then.

In the early '80s, my uncle from San Diego was living with us for a while. We would watch football together, and one day we were watching the Broncos and Chargers. He was a Charger fan, naturally, but he was talking up this young QB on the Broncos. The young QB, #7, was incredible. He could scramble and throw the ball like it was shot out of a cannon. It was at that point that I became a Bronco fan.

I watched Doug Williams and the Redskins rip out our hearts in a single quarter of the Superbowl; and then, we went on to lose 2 more Super Bowls in the next 3 years. Thank God for the Bills losing 4 in a row right after that. It put our embarrassment in the background. Then, of course, the breakthrough in 1998. That was the salvation for all of us. And the exclamation point in 1999. And lastly, SUPER BOWL 50. The defensive pinnacle, and Peyton's last year.

Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!

It feels good to be a Bronco fan.

:suds:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in 1971 and watched my first football game sometime in the late '70s. It was between the Raiders and the Houston Oilers and it was a classic. It was rainy and the field was muddy. Players on the sidelines were wearing rain jackets, which just added to the mystique for me. I remember Earl Campbell trucking defensive players, and that got me fired up. I was hooked on football, and the Oilers became my favorite team. They would remain so for a few years until I eventually lost interest as they were rarely televised in Southern California back then.

In the early '80s, my uncle from San Diego was living with us for a while. We would watch football together, and one day we were watching the Broncos and Chargers. He was a Charger fan, naturally, but he was talking up this young QB on the Broncos. The young QB, #7, was incredible. He could scramble and throw the ball like it was shot out of a cannon. It was at that point that I became a Bronco fan.

I watched Doug Williams and the Redskins rip out our hearts in a single quarter of the Superbowl; and then, we went on to lose 2 more Super Bowls in the next 3 years. Thank God for the Bills losing 4 in a row right after that. It put our embarrassment in the background. Then, of course, the breakthrough in 1998. That was the salvation for all of us. And the exclamation point in 1999. And lastly, SUPER BOWL 50. The defensive pinnacle, and Peyton's last year.

Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!

It feels good to be a Bronco fan.

:suds:
I think I've seen every great player in person since 1979
Earl Campbell was by far the most physically imposing player I think I have ever seen in person
His thighs were 3 times the size of any other RB I have ever seen. Maybe Bo Jackson would rival earl but not too many more

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is - FROM DAY ONE BABY - DAY ONE! I was there at the origin of Bronco earth itself.

In answer to your next question - "Yes, there was a big bang and I was there to see it, but I am bound never to reveal what went on before the Broncos existed - as it might unduly influence Bronco fans to engage in pagan rituals and perform acts that would make a goat blush."

In answer to your next question: "No, I am not a celestial being -nor can I perform miracles or dance the Bosa Nova."

The Religious question: "No, no religion here - if you need a leap of faith to become a Bronco fan - you just don't get it and never will."

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE="CEH, post: 8561762, member: 10172"]I think I've seen every great player in person since 1979
Earl Campbell was by far the most physically imposing player I think I have ever seen in person
His thighs were 3 times the size of any other RB I have ever seen. Maybe Bo Jackson would rival earl but not too many more[/QUOTE]

Earl Campbell had 32" thighs! In highschool, I had a 32" waist! :omg:

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was a kid I was into the Dodgers but, got into the Broncos because a player from 72 team was my neighbor. I had surgery and was gone three months he got all the players to sign a football for me hooked ever since.