• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Home Plate Collisions to be Removed

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule itself is fine once people know what it actually means. Problem is, nobody, including MLB and its umpires, have a clue. Needs to be ironed out for sure.

Once upon a time, we had a rule that catcher's couldn't block the plate without the ball, it was never enforced of course... maybe we know why now?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is the play was reviewed in new York both times. how in the world could they have to different results for the same play

And that's another thing ... they also need to get this replay deal under control. No freakin reason in the world a replay that is blatantly upholding/overturning a call should take 5+ mins to figure out. Jeezus freakin peaches!

The NHL has it down to a science, and rarely does a review take more than a minute.

MLB delays are ridiculous.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I witnessed a Dbacks game against Philly that had Howard thrown out at the plate by 6 steps. Play was reviewed & he was ruled safe because the catcher was slightly in front of the plate before the ball reach him when the runner was a good 15 feet from the plate.

You can see it here.

I've seen multiple similar instances called or not called either way. It's ridiculous.

On that note, I'll go look up the play.

Well ... your dude Montero was pretty blatantly blocking the plate Mike. I'm guessing it was prolly not intentional, but there was no clear path to the plate. :suds:

Here's my guy Tyler Flowers' play below. At the risk of sounding like a homer, ours was a pretty questionable call as Flowers appears to make an attempt to move his leg, after he catches the ball, to give the runner a path to the plate. Shoulda/coulda been an inning ending play with Sox still leading 1-0 in a great pitchers' duel ... instead it allowed the Giants to score 7 runs in the inning! Total kick in the ol' nutsack.

Also worthy of note ... I liked seeing Robin Ventura's justified tirade after the umps overturned the call ... he definitely got his money's worth! :laugh:

Giants get run vs. White Sox on replay review of catcher obstruction | MLB.com: News

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One involved Buster Posey and one didn't. 'Nuff said. Everyone pretends like this guy is Jesus Christ behind a catcher's mask. I've never understood the "greatness" and until I see it, never will.

But the bottom line is the incessant bitching and whining by the Giants is resulting in preferential treatment, which was their ultimate goal. The Boch pretends like this is about "protecting catchers." Bullshit...

your a dork...Posey has won a MVP and 2 world series rings by the age of 24, he isn't even in his prime yet...your just another jelous NL West team fan

not a SF fan but Posey is a stud

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought you would appreciate that line, damn ex girlfriend said it enough to drive me insane.

get rid of the rule before it costs even more games

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coach HS select ball, and the umpires not calling this is giving me the shits. If you even touch the Catcher you're getting run, but now the catcher's are literally surrounding the plate and there's no call. Good blue's are hard to find at every level

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One involved Buster Posey and one didn't. 'Nuff said. Everyone pretends like this guy is Jesus Christ behind a catcher's mask. I've never understood the "greatness" and until I see it, never will.

But the bottom line is the incessant bitching and whining by the Giants is resulting in preferential treatment, which was their ultimate goal. The Boch pretends like this is about "protecting catchers." Bullshit...

I feel the same way about "big game" Trevor Hoffman.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with using the Posey play as an example, is that Posey wasn't blocking the plate, and Scott Cousins went out of his way to run him over anyway.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tyler Flowers said it perfectly-

Apparently they’re interpreting this thing extremely black and white with no context of the play -- infield, outfield, base runner, where he’s at. If you go by the black and white rule, I guess they got it right.

Was it the right call? Not in my opinion. Blanco would've been out if Flowers was the 5-6 inches over that he technically should've been. But the play was too quick for him to set up properly and make sure his foot wasn't in the base path. That's the difference between why that one was overturned and the one where Posey seemed to be in a similar position wasn't. It turned into a game of inches. Flowers was over the base path line, with his foot just inches in front of the plate and Posey was just off the line, not in front of the plate. "Blocking" the plate in the Flowers instance was quite a generous call and the rule was applied very literally, instead of "in the spirit of" the rule. It will definitely be tweaked in the off-season.
But in the meantime, I'm obviously glad the call went in the favor of the Giants. Even more so because it gives Hammer such fits. :heh:

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tyler Flowers said it perfectly-

Was it the right call? Not in my opinion. Blanco would've been out if Flowers was the 5-6 inches over that he technically should've been. But the play was too quick for him to set up properly and make sure his foot wasn't in the base path. That's the difference between why that one was overturned and the one where Posey seemed to be in a similar position wasn't. It turned into a game of inches. Flowers was over the base path line, with his foot just inches in front of the plate and Posey was just off the line, not in front of the plate. "Blocking" the plate in the Flowers instance was quite a generous call and the rule was applied very literally, instead of "in the spirit of" the rule. It will definitely be tweaked in the off-season.
But in the meantime, I'm obviously glad the call went in the favor of the Giants. Even more so because it gives Hammer such fits. :heh:

Amen

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I witnessed a Dbacks game against Philly that had Howard thrown out at the plate by 6 steps. Play was reviewed & he was ruled safe because the catcher was slightly in front of the plate before the ball reach him when the runner was a good 15 feet from the plate.

You can see it here.

I've seen multiple similar instances called or not called either way. It's ridiculous.

On that note, I'll go look up the play.

6 steps? :lol:

By the time the ball got there, Howard would've hit the plate in 2 steps pretty easily. That was a good call.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it is game 7 of the world series and buster "technically" blocks the plate and the giants lose. stupid rule.