• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Home Plate Collisions to be Removed

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also the only base which, when touched by a baserunner, increases the offensive teams score by one run.

Well u never make it home if u dont touch the other 3 bases 1st:suds:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how they can enforce a rule against blocking the plate. Perhaps they’ll say the catcher must retain contact? (and not set up three feet in front of home?)

I have no problems with them disallowing the shoulder-down-all-out-tackle of the catcher with no attempt made at touching home plate. The runners goal should always be the base first.

I can already envision a new type of slide with the lead leg up towards the catchers chest or head.... Can I coin the term “Karate Slide”? How about “The Cobb”?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for Christ sake - they already have pussifed the NFL, now this??

What's next, no more hard checks in hockey?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a lot of broken legs with the new rule

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a horrible rule

Ray Fosse disagrees -

1386789462003-collision-rose-fosse.jpg

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Fosse disagrees -

1386789462003-collision-rose-fosse.jpg

Ya a player about 40 yrs ago had his career ended by a home plate collision. A few players during that time got seriously injured. It took a star out so baseball panicked. I hope the giants get knocked out of the playoffs on interference at the plate

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya a player about 40 yrs ago had his career ended by a home plate collision. A few players during that time got seriously injured. It took a star out so baseball panicked. I hope the giants get knocked out of the playoffs on interference at the plate

Well, if an opinion from someone whos career was very much cut short does not work for you, how about an opinion from the greatest catcher of all time, Johnny Bench?

Johnny Bench is a big fan of the new rule eliminating home plate collisions | HardballTalk

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that the league's primary revenue stream is through its players. Those players make enormous amounts of money, paid to them by the league. That is, the league's primary financial investment is its players. It makes perfect business sense to eliminate a play which is rare, ineffective, and largely unnecessary which also results in a higher density of injuries per event than any other play in an effort to protect those investments.

Home plate is also the only base at which blocking and running guys over is tolerated, which is an inherent inconsistency with the current rules. It makes logical sense to make it illegal there, too.

Besides that, it will promote better baserunning. Players actually have a higher chance of scoring (or at least preventing an out) by sliding or getting in a rundown than trying to run the catcher over, which almost never works.

I don't really care either way, but I don't see it as a problem, and I understand where the league is coming from.

Well, you can't run over infielders because that's considered interference, which is a penalty against the infielder.

The biggest question in all this is, who is going to be punished when there is a collision at home plate? Is it the runner for trying to go through the catcher to try and score, or is it the catcher for blocking the base, currently the only base where it is "legal" to do that? That's what I'll be interested in seeing. Who is more entitled to the base? The catcher or the runner?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
catchers blocking the plate rule

I have no idea how it is called. posey did the exact same thing flowers did today. both plays were reviewed. posey blocking the plate was allowed last night and today and flowers is called for interference a the run is allowed

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IKR. I cant figure it out either. This catcher obstruction rule needs to be tweaked big-time and clarified more. That call most likely cost us this game ... horrible.!

It was fun seeing RV goin Lou Pinella on the ump though ... kickin dirt all over the place. WTG Robin ... get your money's worth.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a dumbass rule that no one knows how to interpret. Not the players nor the umps nor MLB. This ambiguous rule has cost teams games.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did u see the play, Mike?

I agree ... it seems to be a really ambiguous rule and each ump, evidently, sees the rule in an obviously different manner. I, too, wish they would get rid of it and just let the catchers be the catchers ... it worked for over 100 years. :noidea:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree ... it seems to be a really ambiguous rule and each ump, evidently, sees the rule in an obviously different manner. I, too, wish they would get rid of it and just let the catchers be the catchers ... it worked for over 100 years. :noidea:

the thing is the play was reviewed in new York both times. how in the world could they have to different results for the same play

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, but I witnessed a Dbacks game against Philly that had Howard thrown out at the plate by 6 steps. Play was reviewed & he was ruled safe because the catcher was slightly in front of the plate before the ball reach him when the runner was a good 15 feet from the plate.

You can see it here.

I've seen multiple similar instances called or not called either way. It's ridiculous.

On that note, I'll go look up the play.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is the play was reviewed in new York both times. how in the world could they have to different results for the same play

One involved Buster Posey and one didn't. 'Nuff said. Everyone pretends like this guy is Jesus Christ behind a catcher's mask. I've never understood the "greatness" and until I see it, never will.

But the bottom line is the incessant bitching and whining by the Giants is resulting in preferential treatment, which was their ultimate goal. The Boch pretends like this is about "protecting catchers." Bullshit...

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't seem to find the play from today's game? Anyone have a gif or video link for it?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't seem to find the play from today's game? Anyone have a gif or video link for it?

it opened sportcenter so im sure it will be shown several more times