• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Shit

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not competing against each other. Garza IS the starter. This guy is a backup.

Competition... is what we have the punter position. Give it up dude. It's stupid talk. Straight nonsense.

Got to disagree you here Rich. The new guy ( just didn't want try and spell his name )WILL be our starting center week 1. He knows Kromer's system. And has excelled in it.
Just think he's more physically gifted than Garza.
I've been praying for this day.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... something does smell a little odd with this one. I love the pick up. But on a one year deal. He's been a high level starter for a couple years now. We have said for a awhile now that we needed an upgrade over Garza- good guy, decent player... but he's been pushed at the point of attack far too much over the past few seasons. His run blocking is awful. Do we not all remember cursing at the TV when they would try an pick up short and goal and run it up the middle? As much as M. Bush sucked, it was on Garza too.
I would not be surprised if be wins the job outright- OR- Garza comes down with some type of "injury" early in the season.

Just think he is an upgrade over who we have.
I love the signing.

Rocinante

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. De la Puenta adds extra depth and versatility to the O-Line since he can play center and either guard position. Having said that, I think we need to slow down on the expectations of him replacing Garza this year. According to PFF Garza ranked 12th among Centers and De la Puenta ranked 16th last season. I watched one quarter of the Saints-Bills game from last season and De la Puenta didn't look all that great. He gave up a QB hurry and was called for a hold and wasn't getting much push on running downs.

So why would some of you think De la Puenta is going to come in and be handed the starting job at Garza's expense? Because De la Puenta is familiar with Kromer's system? What did Garza play in all of last season? Does he have more leadership than Garza? Last I heard Garza is the leader of the current offensive line. Maybe if Garza gets injured or forgets how to snap the ball, then we see a change. Otherwise De la Puenta would have to come in and blow everybody away in training camp and I just don't see that happening. This is Garza's replacement for NEXT YEAR and I'm totally fine with that. And whoever thinks the Bears signed De la Puenta so they could roll with him and Boggs is up in the night. Boggs days are numbered.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. De la Puenta adds extra depth and versatility to the O-Line since he can play center and either guard position. Having said that, I think we need to slow down on the expectations of him replacing Garza this year. According to PFF Garza ranked 12th among Centers and De la Puenta ranked 16th last season. I watched one quarter of the Saints-Bills game from last season and De la Puenta didn't look all that great. He gave up a QB hurry and was called for a hold and wasn't getting much push on running downs.

So why would some of you think De la Puenta is going to come in and be handed the starting job at Garza's expense? Because De la Puenta is familiar with Kromer's system? What did Garza play in all of last season? Does he have more leadership than Garza? Last I heard Garza is the leader of the current offensive line. Maybe if Garza gets injured or forgets how to snap the ball, then we see a change. Otherwise De la Puenta would have to come in and blow everybody away in training camp and I just don't see that happening. This is Garza's replacement for NEXT YEAR and I'm totally fine with that. And whoever thinks the Bears signed De la Puenta so they could roll with him and Boggs is up in the night. Boggs days are numbered.

No disrespect intended, but De La Puenta gets the job. I really don't give a rats ass what PFF thinks. Their #s are just that #s. They don't take in consideration in who the player is playing with.
From what I've read is De LA Puenta ( I Hate spelling his name ) , is 1 of the better centers in the game .
I'm also a disbeliever in Garza. I can't believe they got DLP so cheap.
It's another great signing by Phil.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I like PFF. A lot. And I noticed they ranked him 12th earlier this offseason. So that surprised me greatly, because I've watched Garza very closely, and it totally escapes me why he ranked so high. PFF from time to time grades certain guys I think are playing very differently than I would, and I have to include Garza in that pool. Garza routinely got overpowered off the snap, he is snail-like slow on pulling, and his upper body strength looks like crap compared to when he was a guard. There's a reason the Bears ran primarily through the tackle spots on the inside runs. And on outside runs, can you imagine how much better Forte would look if we had a better pulling center? I think his best quality is he seems to do a good job calling protections...I mean, I can't hear him, but the Bear line didn't seem particularly vulnerable to totally blown blocking assignments, but for my money that's a replaceable quality. I love his durability, but I wonder if he is basically playing through a lot of back pain, because I don't see a lot of redeeming qualities in his play. PFF says otherwise. Fine, I don't agree with them about him.

I'm delighted they are trying to move on from him. Garza was a great pickup for the franchise, but he's old and falling apart.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, no reason to keep Garza with this guy and Boggs with much more upside. 1.5 is too much to pay garza to back up.

Dont you think thats also too much to immediately convert to dead money? They just resigned Garza to a one year deal. I doubt he is going anywhere. Sure, things may change but everything Ive read indicates Garza is the starter going into the season- and Brian DLP was apprised of that when he agreed to join the Bears.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Garza and his knee(s) issues, having a great back up for someone at the twilight of his career is fine. I'll take this over a Boggs. And if he flat out beats Garza in the preseason, then I'm ok with that as well. But really, now with Slauson and Long beside the Center spot, any center will look better.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Garza is leader of the line by default. First year left tackle, first year left guard, rookie right guard, rookie right tackle. Seriously, who was gonna lead that line.

Trestman also took the calls from Garza, he was terrible at adjustments the previous season.

Boggs is a better run blocker than either Garza or De la Puenta. Vet minimum, I am sure its a one year deal with a promise to give him a multi year deal if he takes the job from Garza.

The reason I say Garza might get cut is the 1.5 million. You are gonna pay that for both Boggs and De La Puenta next year. Theres a reason Garza didnt go out looking for a new team, I doubt he was invited anywhere.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is garza the starter? He's a shitty center. De la puente is vastly superior, for what possible reason would you start garza over him? You think emery cares about honoring longtime veterans simply because they've been around awhile? Please. Tell it to peppers and urlacher.

Garza was a higher rated center last year per PFF. 12th in the league, wouldn't call that shitty.

Also, it's just everything I've read that Garza will remain the starter. That's all. I could be wrong.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BULLSHIT. You can believe that shit all you want....it is a competition and the best player will start. Kromer will play the best player period. And thats the way it should be the way. If you think the young guy(28) is gonna come in and just lay down why sign him.

I'm not even doing this with you.

Once again, you're using a completely separate situation to justify your stupid bull shit with the punting position, and I'm not even going down this road with you.

You're wrong about the punting position. We have two punters, they will compete. Spending money on a third is borderline retarded. PERIOD

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else to consider, De la Puenta's BEST year according to PFF, was while Kromer was in New Orleans with his system.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else to consider, De la Puenta's BEST year according to PFF, was while Kromer was in New Orleans with his system.

Yeah, I think I posted that earlier in the thread. It was 2012. PFF ranked him as the 2nd best center in the NFL. I'm pumped. I hope he starts.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont you think thats also too much to immediately convert to dead money? They just resigned Garza to a one year deal. I doubt he is going anywhere. Sure, things may change but everything Ive read indicates Garza is the starter going into the season- and Brian DLP was apprised of that when he agreed to join the Bears.

I dont think Garza was signed to a guaranteed deal. Thats where dead money comes from, guaranteed money or deferred signing bonus money. This is the NFL, you get cut with no guaranteed deal, you dont get paid. March 10th they signed Dante Rosario, march 21st they released him. No dead money there.

Same way now the bears got more defensive linemen, Izzy might not break camp either. Take last year, remember Jamarcus Webb agreed to take a big cut in pay so he had the chance to stay on the roster? He still didnt make the team. If they cut Slausen, with his guaranteed salary, that would go to dead money. I dont think its the case with garza. They were looking to make a move so they signed some guys that might not even make it. For all we know, Garza and boggs both beat De La Puenta out, he will be cut too.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need some clarification...his cap hit of 1.5 mil effectively becomes 100k in dead money if he doesnt make the team, correct? If thats so, I misread how much of his contract converts to dead money.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the Bears signed DLP, but Garza is the starter going into training camp. After that, who knows? But I am pretty sure the Bears keep both.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think we have a few things to consider. On the one hand, there's no doubt that the way the team should publicly (and even, for now privately) handle this is to say Garza is the man, DLP needs to win the job from him. There's totally zero reason for them to anoint a newcomer over Garza. It motivates both of them, it affords Garza the respect he deserves, etc.

But I don't think anyone should be surprised if not only does DLP win the job during camp, but that Garza might even be cut. I may be wrong, but I don't think Garza's money would be a $1.5 million dead money hit (correct me if I am wrong on this). Sportrac says $100,000.

That being said, DLP signing a one year at vet minimum worries me that something happened to him. I'm planning on watching some Saints football this weekend and see if anything sticks out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have a few things to consider. On the one hand, there's no doubt that the way the team should publicly (and even, for now privately) handle this is to say Garza is the man, DLP needs to win the job from him. There's totally zero reason for them to anoint a newcomer over Garza. It motivates both of them, it affords Garza the respect he deserves, etc.

But I don't think anyone should be surprised if not only does DLP win the job during camp, but that Garza might even be cut. I may be wrong, but I don't think Garza's money would be a $1.5 million dead money hit (correct me if I am wrong on this). Sportrac says $100,000.

That being said, DLP signing a one year at vet minimum worries me that something happened to him. I'm planning on watching some Saints football this weekend and see if anything sticks out.

I talked to a few Saints fans on another forum I post in every once in a while. They said he's a good center, but his play dropped off a bit last year. Although, that he was still very serviceable. Just not what he was in 2012 under Kromer. They lost a couple of guys on the line, including Bushrod to us. Apparently, that contributed to the drop off.

This is all according to Saints fans. I have no idea. Let us know what you see.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Bears fan since i was child, and i have NEVER seen them make the moves that they are making now. Even last season. Like i said before, Emery has addressed needs. Last season and now this off season as well. Its a good time to be a Bears fans, especially since we are undefeated right now.
I feel like they are building us to win the division first. I love it.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Garza was signed to a guaranteed deal. Thats where dead money comes from, guaranteed money or deferred signing bonus money. This is the NFL, you get cut with no guaranteed deal, you dont get paid. March 10th they signed Dante Rosario, march 21st they released him. No dead money there.

Same way now the bears got more defensive linemen, Izzy might not break camp either. Take last year, remember Jamarcus Webb agreed to take a big cut in pay so he had the chance to stay on the roster? He still didnt make the team. If they cut Slausen, with his guaranteed salary, that would go to dead money. I dont think its the case with garza. They were looking to make a move so they signed some guys that might not even make it. For all we know, Garza and boggs both beat De La Puenta out, he will be cut too.

As I said in a subsequent post, I think I misread what his dead money value was...but thanks for the reply!:suds:

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Bears fan since i was child, and i have NEVER seen them make the moves that they are making now. Even last season. Like i said before, Emery has addressed needs. Last season and now this off season as well. Its a good time to be a Bears fans, especially since we are undefeated right now.
I feel like they are building us to win the division first. I love it.

I'm with you, Pete. I have never seen the Bears make this many moves in the off season. The activity gives me a lot of hope... Because they are making some good moves.