• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holiday Bowl vs USC Discussion Thread

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wonder if Brown has shown in practice that he can make it from that distance. Must not have. We've been so spoiled with great kickers. I was stomping my feet begging for them to just kick the damn FG.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
Drew has shown that he has the distance, just doesn't have the accuracy from that far out, he has problems kicking from the right hash mark, he typically pushes the ball right when he's on the right hash. I don't remember where we at on the field when Barn elected to go for it on 4th down.

I'd say if we were at the middle of the field or the left hash, Drew has better than 50% chance, from the right hash, I'd give him about a 25% chance of making it.

It is what it is at this point tho.

Go kick the friggin' ball Drew and get better during the offseason.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was what I expected it to be.

Poopchips only knows the defense that Bo's been shoving down his throat for 9 years or so going back to his time as a GA at LSU.

That outdated defensive philosophy is what Bo learned as an NFL position coach in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Bo is no Guru. He's just been regurgitating an old system.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say congrats to a game played hard. I know it was for a fired coach but it shows the possibilities if they have someone who can develop consistency and passion to win.
It's just too bad the mindset was "hey we got 8 wins, it's hard to win football". I wonder how many players realize they didn't care about winning for the guy until after he was canned.

And now, welcome Mike Riley and your pro set. I am excited for the upcoming years.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If indeed it is the pro set, then the recruits will come to play in a pro style offense. As for the D, I still want to see mostly man to man mixed with hard to recognize zone. Attack on D, no read and react BS.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think Barney had no intention of going into overtime.

He wanted to win it right there. That was the reason for no kick.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think Barney had no intention of going into overtime.

He wanted to win it right there. That was the reason for no kick.

I'll buy that. However, it was 3rd and 3.

Why not run it on both 3rd and 4th down?
Why not run it on 3rd down and if you get stuffed, pass it on 4th and 3?

Passing on 3rd and 3 just to wind up running it on 4th and 3 was beyond logic.

My only guess is that Barney indeed knew his boy Jake and the o-line couldn't move USC off the ball on 3rd and 3, and he thought if the pass was incomplete, he'd trick them by running it on 4th and 3. :noidea:

Dobson was ousted quickly. These guys all knew they sucked ass up-front. Who couldn't see that over the last few years?

This staff was milking the gravy train as long as they could before the "9 win rah-rah club" finally threw the towel in on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me I was confused as well on that 3rd down call.

If you're going to throw it there then it needs to be a pass that's completed 9 out of 10 times.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw someone on the Facebook fan page say "if Barney Cotton can make this team THAT awesome then I can't wait to see what Riley can do!"

LMAO. That was the same Bop team that we've seen for the past 7 years. Sloppy ass playing and questionable play calling with some bad technique sprinkled in, getting bulled over up front, but with all that said they fought like hell and almost came back.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things considered, I actually give Beck a passing grade considering he was auditioning for an OC job elsewhere. If he had the right QB, with a real QB coach, in the system he truly wants to run they'd do pretty well.

On the other hand Poopchips is just a failure as DC. You'd be a damn fool to bring him in as a DC.