• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokies offer former Clemson (JUCO) QB Chad Kelly

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Kelly - Yahoo! Sports

Virginia Tech offers former Clemson QB

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ex-Clemson-QB-Chad-Kelly-in-GQ-article-on-Mississippi-JUCOs-32248975

I thought this was interesting and worthy of its own thread.

Honestly, I like this offer. Kid is cocky as hell and his bad attitude is well documented. Some of the VT insiders say that the Clemson situation was a bit overblown.

This tells me that...
A) The offensive coaches (Lefty) are desperate for someone who can play at a high level NEXT year. From what I read, the Kelly kid can enroll from Miss CC in January.
B) Beamer is desperate. He knows that the door is closing on him QUICKLY and that VT supporters want results NOW!
C) The staff has very little confidence on anyone on the roster playing QB next year. All confidence has obviously been lost in Brewer and Motley may be a project?? Durkin and Ford are obviously not ready to step in as RS Frosh and be the guy.

It wreaks of desperation, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Hopefully this guy has been humbled a bit by his past regressions. If he has the athletic ability (most important factor), can be a leader, and can bring an attitude and cockiness to this offense (which I personally don't see as a bad thing)... Then I think this could be as successful for VT as the Marshall, Newton, etc situations have been for other teams.

Some SEC teams are interested, but I believe VT is the first team to offer. A wild card in all this could be the fact that he is HOFer Jim Kelly's nephew and we all know that he and Bruce Smith are boys. Not sure what he has left wrt eligibility? I would think a couple years?

I would be interested to hear the take of some Clemson people on this one too...

Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, pretty much has desperation written all over it. What year would Kelly be if he actually did end up at VT and what would this mean for the other QB's on the roster?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...not sure. He signed and enrolled with Clemson in 2012, believe he redshirted 12-13? Lost a year 13-14, probably loses a year due to transfer rules. I am going to say two years, but someone else would know better than me. This means Ford and Durkin would be upcoming juniors if he played both years.

All big ifs, as I am not 100% on any of that, and he has given no indication that VT would be his favorite or anything.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's Swag Kelly

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard he will be a RS-JR coming in and probably will have graduated so he could play right away ala Brewer.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on the fence about this. We had major issues under Stinespring with our OC & OL for about 6-7 years. But because of a dual threat QB it was very easy to overlook the issues until they all compounded on us after Tyrod left. So while I would love to see the Hokies win, this only fixes the short term issue for the Hokies but not necessarily the long term.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he come with an offensive line?

no joke, it doesnt matter who we have back there tossing the ball, if he doesnt have any protection, it will be the same result

the only reason we had success with Tyrod was his ability to escape, and with LT (relatively successful, because he could plow over defenders). Until we have an OL (even a decent OL) we will be bad, unless we have another Tyrod

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Past QB's since i've followed VT football

Brewer: Jury is still out

LT3: Decent, not great. Could make some things happen with his feet

Tyrod: Had lots of success at VT, escapability

Glennon: Caught the wrath of VT faithful, largely because we took a bunch of sacks and threw a bunch of INTs when getting hit immediately after the snap

Randall: had success at VT, was able to make plays with his legs and avoid the pressure

Noel: See Glennon

Vick: we all know what Vick did

see a pattern?

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Past QB's since i've followed VT football

Brewer: Jury is still out

LT3: Decent, not great. Could make some things happen with his feet

Tyrod: Had lots of success at VT, escapability

Glennon: Caught the wrath of VT faithful, largely because we took a bunch of sacks and threw a bunch of INTs when getting hit immediately after the snap

Randall: had success at VT, was able to make plays with his legs and avoid the pressure

Noel: See Glennon

Vick: we all know what Vick did

see a pattern?

I do... White. Quarterbacks. Suck.

Why even bother with those crackers?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewer is pretty mobile. As long as there is pressure from the middle, the ends don't have to go up field to get pressure and mobility means nothing because the QB is trapped in the pocket.

ShockwaveVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Kelly - Yahoo! Sports

Virginia Tech offers former Clemson QB

Ex-Clemson QB Chad Kelly in GQ article on Mississippi JUCOs

I thought this was interesting and worthy of its own thread.

Honestly, I like this offer. Kid is cocky as hell and his bad attitude is well documented. Some of the VT insiders say that the Clemson situation was a bit overblown.

This tells me that...
A) The offensive coaches (Lefty) are desperate for someone who can play at a high level NEXT year. From what I read, the Kelly kid can enroll from Miss CC in January.
B) Beamer is desperate. He knows that the door is closing on him QUICKLY and that VT supporters want results NOW!
C) The staff has very little confidence on anyone on the roster playing QB next year. All confidence has obviously been lost in Brewer and Motley may be a project?? Durkin and Ford are obviously not ready to step in as RS Frosh and be the guy.

It wreaks of desperation, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Hopefully this guy has been humbled a bit by his past regressions. If he has the athletic ability (most important factor), can be a leader, and can bring an attitude and cockiness to this offense (which I personally don't see as a bad thing)... Then I think this could be as successful for VT as the Marshall, Newton, etc situations have been for other teams.

Some SEC teams are interested, but I believe VT is the first team to offer. A wild card in all this could be the fact that he is HOFer Jim Kelly's nephew and we all know that he and Bruce Smith are boys. Not sure what he has left wrt eligibility? I would think a couple years?

I would be interested to hear the take of some Clemson people on this one too...

Discuss!

:wtf2:
We laud Loeffler for creating a competitive environment by recruiting multiple QB's in the '14 class to compete for future QB job, and then cheer him for recruiting Brewer to Blacksburg to provide some competition for Leal and Motley.

He's doing the exact same thing here. Recruiting a potentially game-ready QB to up the ante for Brewer, Ford, Durkin and Motley in 2015. I think its safe to say that Loeffler doesn't see a lot of potential in Motley at the current time. At the very least he's not banking on him being a contender for 2015 because he's injured and missed reps in practice. Ford and Durkin are completely unproven. Brewer has shown the good (leadership, clutch plays), the bad (interceptions) and the ugly (long range accuracy) so far this season.

IMO there needs to be 4-5 legit QBs on the roster to cover starter, backups and redshirts. I was a little disappointed that we didn't recruit a 2015 QB, but getting Durkin makes up for I suppose.