• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hockey Hall of Fam Inductions 2012

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really is disgusting

should have been in last year

I'm glad somebody realizes this. The hate continues for this guy. His numbers are impressive. Regular season stats, playoffs, international like some of you brought up. The man was the most dominant player period.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad somebody realizes this. The hate continues for this guy. His numbers are impressive. Regular season stats, playoffs, international like some of you brought up. The man was the most dominant player period.

IIRC, Up until the year 2000, he had the 4th highest points per game average of all time.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the tin foil hats are coming out again. While I will definitely agree on a Toronto slant with the media (TSN, CBC), I just don't see a Toronto bias regarding the HOF in the last 40 or so years.

Yes, you could probably make a good case for Shanny over Sundin (or Bure, for that matter) but it's the same every year with a player or two being snubbed. Pat Burns was HUGE in Toronto for a few years, but yet he's not in the HOF either.

I don't think tinfoil hats are required when Pat Quinn is one of the co-chairs of the selection committee. That said, I don't have a problem with either Bure or Sundin getting in. Snubbing a guy with three Stanley Cups and also a member of the Triple Gold Club (Olympic Gold, World Hockey Championship gold, and Stanley Cup winner) just seems strange to me.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think tinfoil hats are required when Pat Quinn is one of the co-chairs of the selection committee. That said, I don't have a problem with either Bure or Sundin getting in. Snubbing a guy with three Stanley Cups and also a member of the Triple Gold Club (Olympic Gold, World Hockey Championship gold, and Stanley Cup winner) just seems strange to me.

Your point with Quinn is fair, but then shouldn't that be more of a Quinn thing (as opposed to a "Toronto bias") since both Bure and Sundin were integral parts of his teams?

And I don't necessarily disagree that Shanny should be there first; I'm just not convinced that this is simply the Toronto media (or whoever) that are solely responsible for this outcome.

And I hate Toronto media almost as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I take a unwarranted shot at the Toronto media?!? Perhaps in this case, but it's not as if they don't provide plenty of ammunition.

I think esls made a great point earlier in the thread, you need to be flexible with the amount of candidates that can be inducted each year into the HHOF. Although it certainly helps us pass the time on a Tuesday afternoon debating who and who didn't get in.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is international hockey performance trumping NHL performance now?!? And you don't think Sundin being captain of the Maple Leafs factored into his getting into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility? Caman.

well Tretiak is in there isnt he? lol

and where did i say international hockey is the be all end all ... i said it puts him over the top imo ... in 2006 and 2002 Sundin was a dominant figure on the swedish team ... if it werent for Tommy Salo he possibly could have had 2 olympic golds (remember that game 1 v canada - yikes)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think I'm more pissed about Burns not getting in again than the Shanny snub. Oh well, Brendan should be a shoo-in next year.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still no public congrats from the canucks for Bure

meanwhile florida panthers official twitter feed as gone crazy with slurping goodness

so is this a case of the canucks social media guy being asleep at the wheel or something else?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell even DJ Tanner, Kimmy Gibbler and Uncle Jessie have congratulated Pavel

@candacecbure: Great news! My brother-in-law Pavel Bure will be inducted into the HHOF! Finally! Well deserved

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell even DJ Tanner, Kimmy Gibbler and Uncle Jessie have congratulated Pavel

@candacecbure: Great news! My brother-in-law Pavel Bure will be inducted into the HHOF! Finally! Well deserved

lol - I think Bob Saget called him a f*ckin commie bastard.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still no public congrats from the canucks for Bure

meanwhile florida panthers official twitter feed as gone crazy with slurping goodness

so is this a case of the canucks social media guy being asleep at the wheel or something else?

we have our answer

andrew young ‏@aryoung80
@valbure you think the #Canucks will finally retire his number now? #HHoF

Val Bure ‏@valbure
:-)))) no. GM has to go first!!!! @aryoung80

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they retire Pavel's number or put him in the ring of honour?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the tin foil hats are coming out again. While I will definitely agree on a Toronto slant with the media (TSN, CBC), I just don't see a Toronto bias regarding the HOF in the last 40 or so years.

Yes, you could probably make a good case for Shanny over Sundin (or Bure, for that matter) but it's the same every year with a player or two being snubbed. Pat Burns was HUGE in Toronto for a few years, but yet he's not in the HOF either.

I think that Shanny should have gotten in; probably over Sundin. However I would take Sundin over Bure so ultimately I think that Shanny should have gotten in over both those guys.

For the record I think both Sundin and Bure are hall worthy, it just should never have been at the expense of someone with Shanahan's career.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones who did:
Sakic - Duh
Sundin - Worthy of being there, but not sure the best choice now given the others up for it
Bure - Yes. The best player from the Russian Invasion, hands down.
Oates - Gah. Never liked him, never saw him as that dynamic go-to guy. He was very very good, but I would never call him great. And when you look at who was left out... An abomination here. No.

Those who were left out:
Lindros - Might never get in because of baggage. But the fact cannot be denied that in his prime, on the ice and with all things equal, there may never have been a more dominant player, ever. Bob Clarke should be castrated and shot for ruining such a hockey talent. And his parents need to be slapped for their part, too.
Shanahan - Looking at his playing career, this is unmistakably a flat out slap in the face.
Burns - Hard to say this because of his recent passing. But I don't know if what he accomplished as coach is enough to count him among the Scotty Bowmans, Toe Blakes and the Fred Sheros of the world. Yes, he was entertaining as hell and well respected, but he didn't win as much as most coaches who are in did. I'd like to see him enshrined just for yelling at Melrose in 93, but did he really do enough?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they retire Pavel's number or put him in the ring of honour?

Dan Murphy spread the rumour (not a rumour lol) that Pavel was asked to attend a ring of honour ceremony last year and he told the canucks if they werent retiring his number they could shove it

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this just about says it all ... Sundin played what ??? ... an 11 second shift in vancouver ??? and Pavel gets joint billing with him lol

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Media Release: Vancouver Canucks congratulate Hall of Fame inductees Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
“Pavel & Mats both had a tremendous impact on the NHL & provided fans many years of entertaining & inspiring hockey.”

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Halford ‏@HalfordPHT
Vancouver's PR congratulating "ex-Canucks" Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin is like the Seahawks celebrating Steve Largent and Franco Harris.

post of the day :nod: